ID TechX free webinar 2019-01-10

It wasn’t. I ignore the negative stuff. Or try to. Why you think, possibly, because you don’t expand on your statements, there is no future possible market for electricity from AWES is maybe interesting. Bickering isn’t.

Quoting by deforming words to win in the argument is not a positive attitude. Try to make an AWES like @Kitewinder does rather than quibbling about what is a market as the answer is obvious.

Okay, from that I guess what you mean by market is the current marketplace of people buying and selling electricity produced by AWES.

Going back to this:

A market analysis looks at who potentially would buy your service, and who your competition is. So it looks at possible market demand. Potential customers would be those who are buying electricity now from other suppliers, competitors would be other electricity providers. We all know at this time there is no AWES, except kitewinder, selling electricity. That’s not all that relevant for your market analysis, as the market for electricity is already there and you already have competition in the form of wind, solar, etc.

You would need to do a separate market analysis on those, as that is a different market. Personally I am not so interested in those applications.

A market analysis is not an affair of personal preference.
If we speak about AWE markets, we include electricity production, sports, ship traction and so on.
If we speak about electricity demand market we include windtowers, solar, coal, gas, nuclear, potentially AWE and so on.

Agree with @Windy_Skies on the market issue. Awes would enter the electricity market.

Since noone here thinks the Id TechX analysis is any good - are there better ones?
@dougselsam

This is inaccurate. See the quote below:

Why not on the present forum, see on The no market Hypothesis.

1 Like

I have no opinion on th TechX analysis. In general terms I’d say I agree with @dougselsam that it is difficult for an outsider (and I believe also for an insider) to know if AWE’s time is close. But still, for an investor, the TechX report is perhaps better than nothing, even if the quality is average.

For me it’s interesting, but I would rather spend time reading papers and watchibg videos from the AWESCO conferences

1 Like

Was thinking about we as a group could provide such information. It is easier to search in this forum than in the yahoo group, but it’s not a report. To be read by investors and other stakeholders it must be concise.
I am planning to make a section tailored to investors on the www.awesystems.info site. However I’d prefer if I could just link something for now.

There is a scientific paper on almost all AWE methods. But it is not a report.

AWE reporters (for a report) should evaluate from informations that are given by players and companies. Things could be different if they can see AWES in operation with their own eyes, and still better if some electricity production is recorded as for other energy reporters.

It is interesting to note that The no market Hypothesis (not a report as you mention) is open with @Kitewinder as the first company which marketed an AWES. Another interesting thing is its thought out of the almost complete AWE scientific community which is based from the seminal Loyd’s paper (“Crosswind Kite Power”) for ten years at least. This maybe could create a synergy towards an effective AWES.

1 Like

Dr Peter Harrop presented at the last AWEC conference.
His justification comes from years of industrialisation experience.
Both He and Henrik Stiesdal presented and recommended the benefits of simple tests and simple systems over hypothesis and development based mostly on theory.

They both suggested systems would start small and grow…Physical system development is more likely to evolve than just arrive fully formed.

4 Likes

I put off what I wrote: “with some times some inaccuracies concerning me”. After a more careful reading, I understood that both are not connected.

Most companies started small. There are a lot of parameters that tests cannot take into account on their own, even if they are useful.
Maybe a higher use of artificial intelligence (AI) could better define the outline of a viable AWES from data.

1 Like

I have attended.
It was not a webinar, but just a streamed recording or a webcast if one wants to give them the benefit of doubt.

Some takeaways
(His opinions, but I agree on most)

• He’s a big fan of wave and tidal energy
    Wave power is 5 years ahead of awes and following that can predict awes
  • No point in competing with solar
  • Nieche markets instead of utility scale
  • Higer winds are strong at night
  • Height might be useful to be kept down to evade regulation
  • Groundgen is where most of the investment will go
  • Rigid will win over cloth
  • pumping for launch unlikely to succeed

No mention of useage for ship propulsion

1 Like

Power systems using intermittent energy could be put off-grid, even the current ground-based wind turbines, that due to both pollution and CO² emissions in the energy mix like wind-coal or wind-gas wich are the same as coal or gas alone.
There are two other possibilities including wind energy in the long term: implementing massive and viable storage means, or/and a world grid.

You mean wind, when it’s blowing, supplemented by coal or gas, when it’s not, right?

There is power-to-gas. The gas-grid can be used to distribute and store renewable energy that way.
It’s fairly inefficient though. Just0.30-0.38 of the energy can be converted back into electricity. Other mechanism and useage can be more efficient.

Yes. An example on Germany’s energy consumption and power mix in charts | Clean Energy Wire.

Thank you for attending our recent webinar “Airborne Wind Energy AWE Gets Serious”.

We hope you enjoyed the session.

You can watch this webinar ‘On Demand’ until 8th February 2019. Click here to watch the recording.

You can now download a PDF version of the slides from the right-hand side of this page: www.IDTechEx.com/awe (please note that you will need to be logged into our website to access these).

For our full analysis on the topic, IDTechEx Research reports provide ten-year forecasts by application and technology type, detailed company profiles and insights into the technologies: www.IDTechEx.com/Research .

Please do get in touch if you have any queries or would like to discuss how IDTechEx can help your business needs. You can learn more about IDTechEx here: www.IDTechEx.com or contact us at research@IDTechEx.com .

Kind regards,

Annick

Probably not worth your time