Let's (re)build the AWES community!

Hi everyone.:blush:
I’m really happy discourse is working.
Now it’s up to you. Let’s make this the bestest AWES forum that has ever lived!

• What categories would you like to see?
  • Who wants to be a moderator?
  • Any suggestions?

[ feedback forum site structure discourse categories ]

Hi folks! (Im just writing this to get more than x characters)

1 Like

Wohoo first post from someone who isn’t me.

Hi! Just checking in.

I wouldn’t mind doing house-work as a moderator. I would like to see an “archive” of previous discussions. And several lists and wikis of relevant topics. The people make the community though, so I mostly hope the regular users from the old Yahoo group come and join too.

1 Like

Do you mean an archive of the yahoo group or of any discussions which might happen here? ___
The yahoo group basically is an archive of itself. I have downloaded and am exporting the group soon, possibly today. I would like to host it to have a backup.

Please elaborate, how those lists and wikis could look! I know there are independently hosted wikis about specific topics but I’ve never used one of those. It would also be a whole new thing with a cms and users to host and manage.
The way I would have done it is just static pages. Content and edits could be suggested here in the forum.

1 Like

:heart_eyes: A moderator here can make any post a wiki. I would sticky a thread and make the first post a wiki.

I’ll make this post a wiki to demonstrate. _____ Now any user can edit this post.

It’s pretty self-explanatory. Do it a few times and you’ll get the hang of it.

Yes. But that’s a nice to have for me, not necessarily a need to have.

[Luke here, editing @Windy_Skies post
Nice, didn’t know that. Let’s do it that way!]
:heart_eyes:

Edited, but edit author did not seem to show. ~ JoeF

I like the Idea … can we propose or reshuffle hierarchical information structures for the existing posts ? ~rod

@JoeFaust, you can see how many edits have been made to any comment in the top right of that comment, next to the timestamp. The comment has now been edited 4 times. Click on the notepad in the top right of the post to see the edit history.

I can see you’ve added the photo, and when, but I can’t see your “Edited, but edit author did not seem to show. ~ JoeF” I should see that too. EDIT: I do see your complete edit in the “Raw” version of the edit history.

I hope to build my own thing, so content/categories that would help me would be, for example:

[1] Discussion on the physics and math of what we are doing.
[2] Discussion on how to build CAD models and how to run simulation on those models.
[3] How to manufacture the things we think of.
[4] Inspiration in seeing what other people have done or are doing, in patents, literature, and so on.
[5] Probably a section that specifically discusses the things we (the makers) are trying to solve now? But then there is perhaps a risk that discussions that perhaps should go in [1]-[3] goes in here.

Because I saw this a lot in the old forum, also:

[6] A section for “blue sky thinking” / brainstorming / open-minded thinking.

You can create categories and also subcategories within those categories.

Also you can enable tags, I think it requires a plugin or something? You could for example tag all content about a particular company. Clicking on the tag then leads you to that content. That way you don’t need to potentially create hundreds of subcategories or rely only on text searches.

1 Like

Done.
Maybe the subcategories in Design & Building should be top level…
Tags didn’t require a plugin. However only topics can be tagged, not posts.

2 Likes

If we keep these general categories, I’d add “Engineering” too.

You could also decide to also have more specific subcategories. I’d be interested in subcategories for pilot/lifting kites, blade design, (rope drives), ground-based generator and gearing, and electronics, for example. People working on other ideas would be interested in other concepts.

Time will tell.

1 Like

Engineering is a bit too general. Most things can be regarded as engineering.

I tried to implement all categories you mentioned. Hard to make it so that things don’t fit two categories. Let’s see how this evolves.

1 Like

Had to turn off mailing list mode today
It’s great to see so much activity here. :grin:

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,
Kitepower is glad to be on board of the forum, good initiative!

5 Likes

I’m gonna say yes.

1 Like

How do we feel about adding a category like “transmission of power/force from sky to ground”?

In that could go posts about conductive tethers, tethers for winching systems, rope-drives, rotating shafts, and more if there are more ways of getting power to the ground.

I vote in favor of adding the category.

Edit: or would that span across existing and possible future categories like “crosswind kites” “flygen crosswind,” “rotary”? I’m still in favor.

3 Likes

If noone posts in it, we can stilll delete it. Sounds useful to me.

2 Likes

Hi @Tom

Could you make it so that I don’t need to disable https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere/faq to browse the forum?

And can we make a plan, or do you have a plan, so that the forum will still exist in 20 years?

No idea.^^ Big fan of https everywhere, but not a web expert. Willl look into it.

Thought about it. It’s not urgent. I think we should see how the forum is doing in a year and then consider it again. I’ll try to stay alive that long. Did you have concrete ideas? A foundation or something?

I think a foundation is a good plan. In a year+

1 Like