dougselsam | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #420 Shhh, it's in the Scottish "Area-51", Loch Ness! ------------------------- Rodread | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #421 If there's any new craft being built on Loch Ness it should be an inflated ride on Nessie (converted banana boat) That would have 1000s of tourists paying for the photo ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #422 Ok bit of and update, Looks like I get way too excited! Heres the website, http://highlandsystems.me/kronos-submarine/ If anything it UAE? Yes, I did get the monster hunting reference. Almost as bad a George poking his dragon. A complete saint! Have no idea why they want to call it after a Greek Titan? Unless there inferring to begin swallowed by the ocean or three? If omens are anything to go by it don’t bode well? I guess we shall have to see? if the get beaten and thrown into the pits of engineering Tartarus? They would have to be Hermes to escape that sort of fate! I wish them luck anyway! ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #423 [quote="Rodread, post:421, topic:1610"] If there’s any new craft being built on Loch Ness it should be an inflated ride on Nessie [/quote] Roddy I think you just hit your next million-dollar idea! :) ------------------------- Rodread | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #424 I'm worried about the logistics and obvious humour though Doug. It's so cold on Loch Ness that nobody would come off that ride with a monster between their legs. #toorude ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #425 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 lol. Skol to the monster banana boat of lock ness! ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #426 https://youtu.be/jDdDRYaTrzw https://swel.eu/ I remember @Rodread post something based on cuttlefish few months back. Happened across this. Didn’t know if anyone was aware. I wonder where AWEs version is? But loving the idea. I’m surprised they didn’t use eccentrics or a ratchets mech. With a planetary gear set. Especially in mind of magnetic gearing and low friction joints. I’m sure they will have there reasons. why they did what they did? Enjoy. ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #427 Debunking alert: This video had me fooled for a while. "Wow", I was thinking, "this is like what somebody should have built 100 years ago!". But then I put a little more thought into it: 1) The slats seem to follow the water level a little too exactly. If energy were being extracted, there would have to be some resistance of the slats to following the water level. The "plank walkway" would have to **try** to stay straight, to some degree, or else it would not be extracting any power. 2) Like the Betz coefficient for wind, the turbine slows the air going through it, forcing a lot of the wind to just go around it, so it can;t collect all the energy in the wind. This should behave similarly. We should see some resistance being presented to the wave, and some evidence of the wave(s) reacting to the obstacle presented by the "plank walkway". Instead we see 100% compliance with the water surface - seems unlikely. 3) Once the view transitioned to underwater, then X-ray vision of the inner workings, I realized this is just another "rendering", which of course can act however the artist dictates, without necessarily reflecting reality. 4) I also noticed maybe the apparatus is longer than it needs to be, with the literal following of the surface contours of the water possibly unnecessary - overkill?. 5) The inner workings look like they could become quickly clogged by corrosion, seaweed, floating trash, fishing tackle, barnacles, etc. 6) It would be fun to try to run across though... :) ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #428 [quote="dougselsam, post:427, topic:1610"] I also noticed maybe the apparatus is longer than it needs to be, with the literal following of the surface contours of the water possibly unnecessary - overkill? [/quote] The spine would need to stay horizontal and resist the movement of the waves so that would dictate a minimum length of several (long) waves I think. There are more videos on their channel with test systems being tested. This one for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCw--rbL04 Here you can see there is some delay before the floats come down again. I'm sure there is more information available elsewhere if someone is interested. ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #429 https://patents.google.com/patent/US20110057448A1/en It might not be swel? but you get the idea. The ideas been around awhile. there seems to be several on google patents. Have fun. ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #430 [quote="Windy_Skies, post:428, topic:1610"] I’m sure there is more information available elsewhere if someone is interested. [/quote] As a gadget-oriented person, not to mention a surfer, I've always found the idea of harnessing wave energy compelling. On big days out there, the waves are literally the size of a freight train tipping over on your head, and you become like a water-rat, frantically trying to tunnel under one wave after another, before you run out of air. BUT In all the years of wave energy devices being tested, it seems they never catch on. I'm left wondering if there is really enough energy in the waves to be worth trying to harness. Maybe it just SEEMS like a lot of power, but when measured it is just not enough to bother chasing(???) ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #431 [quote="Freeflying, post:429, topic:1610"] The ideas been around awhile. there seems to be several on google patents. [/quote] An interesting aspect occurred to me: The series of planks (a dock?) is TRYING to stay straight. Power is being produced by the FALLING WEIGHT of the floats suspended between wave crests. (Energy generated as portions of the "dock" sag downward by their own weight) While the appearance is compelling, I'm not sure that is really the most effective way of extracting energy from waves... Seems like the power that could be extracted would be limited to the weight of the floats times the distance each float is lowered, leaving a lot of energy in the water. :) ------------------------- tallakt | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #432 Its a little bit like the betz limit. If you extract the whole wave, there’s no movement in your harvesting device. So one must leave some residual untapped energy. Or do it in more than one step. Full extraction would leave the water flat. Seems very hard to me to accomplish ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #433 Hi Tallak: A "Betz Coefficient" for wave energy is a new idea for me. Not sure if anyone has contemplated such before. Not sure it is valid, as wave energy may be more like photons than a flow. Wind must exit the area of the rotor somehow, leaving energy in the exiting flow. Waves? Hmmm, not so sure. An interesting question! :) ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #434 Another aspect of Betz with a wind turbine is the rotor reaching a steady-state of energy extraction, which slows the wind, forming a bubble of slower air in front of the turbine, that then forces air to "go around" the turbine instead of going through the turbine. Not sure how that might relate to waves. Maybe someone has examined this idea in the past, but it is not anything I've ever heard about. Could it be possible there is a similar, but different, effect that somehow precludes full energy extraction from a wave? Hmmm, inquiring minds would like to know! :) ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #435 [quote="tallakt, post:432, topic:1610"] Full extraction would leave the water flat. Seems very hard to me to accomplish [/quote] The Betz coefficient relates to a planar disc region of energy extraction. As you point out, the wave energy extraction device under consideration is long, constituting "multiple steps" or at least a continuous, non-planar region of extraction (at least non-planar perpendicular to the flow). Seems valid that if the water is left flat, you have extracted all the energy. I don't see anything preventing that, although getting the water to be 100% completely flat might have its challenges. ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-08-19 19:15:56 UTC | #436 [quote="dougselsam, post:434, topic:1610"] Maybe someone has examined this idea in the past, but it is not anything I’ve ever heard about.... inquiring minds would like to know! [/quote] The patent linked above seems as good a place as any to start learning about it if you are interested. There is also Google and similar. ------------------------- tallakt | 2022-08-19 19:36:20 UTC | #437 [quote="dougselsam, post:434, topic:1610"] slows the wind, forming a bubble of slower air in front of the turbine, that then forces air to “go around” the turbine instead of going through the turbine. Not sure how that might relate to waves [/quote] I would assume some part of the wave is reflected… ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-08-19 19:36:29 UTC | #438 This is a link to demonstrate something: https://forum.awesystems.info/t/random-engineering-physics-concepts-and-ideas/111/213 [HtmlDigest7.html|attachment](upload://pfKMbM1l9NjiiRb0WOuK7WdzmKc.html) (405.1 KB) @dougselsam said: [quote] Wood has the same strength-to- weight ratio as carbon fiber in case you didn't know. It is a superior material for one-off prototypes and is considered the best material for at least small wind turbine blades, propellers, etc. Next time you're at a wind tunnel tell me what the fan blades are made of (wood). However, from a large-scale manufacturing standpoint, the cost-of-production and finish issues, raw material consistency issues, as well as possible moisture retention leading to imbalance, lean toward composites, since you can make a smooth mold and hire less-skilled fabricators, or use injection molding or otherwise automate the process. [/quote] ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-08-19 20:32:31 UTC | #439 Wow you lost me, Windy. I saw a passage about wood, assumed somebody here, surprisingly, had some actual knowledge or experience, then saw it is apparently something I wrote long ago. No wonder it sounded so accurate to me! :0... I have trouble when you move messages to other topics. Hard enough to be here when one realizes how much time it drains from your day, but then when the messages get shifted around to various topics, it just leaves me hanging. Oh well, like my Mom used to say, "If it were anything important... " (I forgot the rest of what she said, but it was probably appropriate.) ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-08-19 20:46:27 UTC | #440 [quote="dougselsam, post:439, topic:1610"] I have trouble when you move messages to other topics. [/quote] You'll get used to it. They mostly go here. You can click on the link in the split to follow the split. My latest reply to you is here: [quote="Windy_Skies, post:436, topic:1610"] The patent linked above seems as good a place as any to start learning about it if you are interested. There is also Google and similar. [/quote] Or just scroll up. ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-20 18:31:31 UTC | #441 When I first looked at the concept. it looked like modular pontoons you get for a few k a pop. Just caught after after a a few hellish days. As @Windy_Skies mentions wood being prototype freindly. Good as any place to start. Wonder if a wind version could benefit from lifting elements? Though admit a little wayward. It did remind a lot of mulberry harbours from ww2. https://youtu.be/1aGU2JQ2jDg But that a completely different idea. Though there have been a few companies that looked into using similar principles for wave power. Oscillating water column and tidal barrages. What swel made. Is an awesome concept in principle. Though I can’t say how practical it is. There is a design based on a buoys that Ankers to the sea floor. With the non stationary part doing all the work. To me it seems that this is just an array of them, All linked up. It did remind me also of streamer the majorettes use. Options are there. I’ve noticed that the pressure wake gets mentioned. there must be away to use that to someone advantage? Even if it used as a baffle to direct incoming energy. ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-21 14:08:45 UTC | #442 https://youtu.be/8FWu7Abqp_0 Just a ornicopter mechanism. Though I was thinking of variable eccentric For both wind and wave. I wonder how it would apply itself to swel? More engineering noms. trying to remember what out there and put it to greater use. https://youtu.be/dP09TMNY22E Another mechanism that could work? As a inline wave generator. I’ve a mind for variable eccentrics. Might also do well with wind? Depends how you attach streamers? ------------------------- tallakt | 2022-08-24 05:31:52 UTC | #443 An example of the environmental and safety hazards of wave energy https://twitter.com/saveourwavesmv/status/1562092791555301376?s=21&t=FuQvJ6xmL8baTogQB2XafQ ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-24 08:33:14 UTC | #444 Yep that looks about right. High winds wrecking a spud platform. Even had the same issue with the d-day landings. If done right? Faced it to the general direction of wind and waves. The whole rig should act like bridge piers. given enough time an artificial reef can form. Forgive me I don’t think that a negative. It highlights proper placement of these in line wave energy devices. Deeper water would be more appropriate. Should account for most tidal ranges. Ankered off shore. In 60m-100m of water should do the trick. If it looks like there’s going to be a problem? do something different. Should eliminate or minimise the issue completely. Most reefs are in shallow water rarely deeper that light can penetrate. Below 200m you usually reach a twilights/dark zone. ![image|690x443](upload://1PGiTV9M0SfS3gEs0Hde75f93tn.jpeg) ![image|201x251](upload://jMQjA01JpOLVMzQAmDRxxS9FrOe.jpeg) The guys that managed to get some of the deep water oil rigs might know a thing or two more that I do here especially on the Ankers. You have the added bonus that you have greater swells in the deep oceans. So more opportunities to get to grips with. If environmental damage is the main problem? Then take the appropriate steps to mitigate. Much like the guys on the oil rigs did with contact Ankers. If the storm conditions enter danger levels? it could always go into a submarine mode.. minimising damage to equipment it may still work as well under water? If close enough to the swells? That it has a suction force acting upon it? Then everything’s gravy. Also bare in mind that there is a huge issue with old ships more over what to do with them? Fairly sure the retrofitters would love a go at them. Essentially it just a boat at anker able to generate electricity. Not the first generator ship idea I know of. Sure it’s a fair bit of work. Especially adding the equipment in. If they used to be able to turn around battle damaged aircraft carriers? Uss Yorktown being a good example. this should be a sinch for them. You can have a whole fleet of them. Especially if you can plug a play. Chittagong is a major site of ship braking. So if these ships can be headed of before they meet the reapers torch. Then about 25% of global energy can be made this. You would also have a platform to test new ideas. Or even ad too. If one of these ship could be retrofitted? With most the existing technology. I don’t see why a GW plant wouldn’t be possible. You do get ship able to send submarine through a porthole. That have not sunk during operation. You can get tidal& oscillating water columns. Plus the in lines wave. Plus wind and solar. Plus any energy that can be generated of the Ankers. As a giant solenoid. You could say it game on. ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-24 14:05:24 UTC | #445 I’m aware of, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_pool & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powership Though never see one that’s completely green. Even with my imagination it get interesting the ways this could go. https://www.norsepower.com/technology/ If standing still then it can generate some of the need electricity. Honestly there’s many way to go with this. That even AWEs could stake a claim to retrofitting for a kite powered powered ship. ------------------------- tallakt | 2022-08-24 14:17:44 UTC | #446 [quote="Freeflying, post:445, topic:1610"] If standing still then it can generate some of the need electricity. Honestly there’s many way to go with this. That even AWEs could stake a claim to retrofitting for a kite powered powered ship. [/quote] A vessel can't stand still if it is to be used for AWE. It will drift downwind. The bigger the AWE pull, the more downwind motion. This is a loss both in terms of having to go back upwind later, losing effective windspeed by going downwind, and no apparent wind generated from sailing forward. So ideally such a ship should be a sailboat with a keel. Alternatively one may anchor the vessel. But the pulling forces are quite enormous, so this may be a bit difficult to do ad-hoc. We should also respect that the size of the AWE rig mounted on such a vessel should be as big as possible. It's not going to be a tiny kite on a huge vessel. More like a sailboat I expect. ------------------------- Rodread | 2022-08-24 15:10:27 UTC | #447 Just chuck this bad boy over the side @tallakt ![image|500x500](upload://9WYrryrhUtCvqRtBtJiWG2k9Cgs.jpeg) ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-24 16:09:26 UTC | #448 Bare in mind lads that them big ship have huge spools. My thinking on this was going a few way. You have the massive parachute kites. Or you standard flexible wing. Even the multitude of kite designs on here. If it likely to pull down wind the. That could be and advantage especially of it ankered the anker lines are giving slack to generate some of the power. I believe there is a complex ankering system out to hold ship steady. Like I said load of ways to go about it. ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-24 17:11:50 UTC | #449 https://youtu.be/nnWGVfnTVKo I know this is a bit of a old vid but as a starter it not bad. To demonstrate ankering. It even mentioned types of Ankers. For a better idea. Also dynamic ankering system. https://youtu.be/SP1KRiUrDTg Likely to be present on certain vessels. Though I can’t say how many. Oil rig are known to use them to keep them stationary above a selected drill site. I hope a little more context helps? There are some beasts of Ankers out there. Some as big as a house. Usually safety operation must be observed. Especially because anyone hit definitely won’t be feeling anything afterwards. I wouldn’t want to be the one that has to clean that horror show up. That certainly would ruin you day. It would be a vital step toward green powership. Regardless of developmental vector. I don’t know where things are today? definitely a few starter examples. ------------------------- tallakt | 2022-08-24 19:00:39 UTC | #450 [quote="Freeflying, post:449, topic:1610"] Likely to be present on certain vessels. Though I can’t say how many. Oil rig are known to use them to keep them stationary above a selected drill site. I hope a little more context helps? [/quote] I think you proved my point. The first is a really complicated subsea gear and the second DP system can’t be used for AWE because producing the required upwind thrust to not drift will probably consume electricity more than you produce ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-25 07:24:10 UTC | #451 Though right in one aspect. Though not accounting tidal shift, oceanic currents or riptides. Allowing for low energy hall in anker lines. Plus mechanical advantage. Even if you use lift bags where needed? to reduce the energy requirements. The same way they lifted a plate section from the titanic. Or many of the artefacts ever recovered from the sea floor. It depends on what the top number is compare to expected production? If the top number is more than the energy it take to hall in the anker lines? Net power can be created. Adversely like you say. if the top number is greater then then expect power generation? Negative losses will occur. It just about making sure That the energy gained his higher than the requirements needed to hall it back in. It might be a bit out of the box view on it. Plus you have https://youtu.be/X8E6Bj83k3Q the spool that can be a generator itself. So there we go. ------------------------- Rodread | 2022-08-25 07:29:35 UTC | #452 I used to be on onboard keeping comms up for rig moves quite frequently. (>20 years ago) There was a lot of anchor handling. Jeez it's noisy. Those Bruce anchors were massive. Each chainlink as big as myself. Really like that Stevtensioning video. ta. Dynamic positioning is on like everything now. Often installed comms tied to that for the moves. @Freeflying please for the love of the wee man just spell with us - Anchor ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-25 08:15:36 UTC | #453 @Rodread Spelled it that way for years. Just googled how I was spelling it. Realised that tossing one of these over the side wouldn’t help. Bit of a difference there. ![image|240x240](upload://2UmI0dLiCczzeF4XwwXVWoVTcpm.jpeg) So anchors? Ankers? Much be a regional thing? Or preferential mistakes? Seems like heaven almighty was have a laugh at my expense? The irony! The worst bit is I hadn’t realised. Nor was unaware of alternative point of view. Thanks for the enlightenment. Supposed to create power! instead of tossing it overboard? Neither spelling show up on spell check. Or predicted text. Stunned, have my own theories about that. Tower of Babel stuff. Some minion creating havoc in the English language. We all so engrossed that nobody noticed. So reliant on predictive text that a key skill like spelling goes a miss. Interesting but alarming all the same. If this was Middle English I’d be doing fine?! Chaucer Was known to spell the same word many many ways. Well I guess it what you know and when you know it? ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-08-25 15:55:21 UTC | #454 New song idea: "I once had a hankerin' ta do some ankerin', but then I got a canker sore..." ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-25 16:46:52 UTC | #455 Sounds like the wurzels for sure. Be it blackbirds or your combined harvester. Suggested lines: With no dinner or tea, a bore was he. A sore that left work undone. No energy for the maid, or the parade. The Anker’s left ashore! Wouldn’t be out of place in a Irish bar,or a Scottish kaley, or a West Country mead hall. Especially as the music get going. Drinks flowing. Everyone’s having a song dance and a laughing. The buffet table full as well. Everything swel/swell. A party a feast indeed. ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-08-27 08:09:08 UTC | #456 [https://www.facebook.com/reel/3137191139866848](https://www.facebook.com/reel/3137191139866848?__cft__[0]=AZWjNyEW4gKDEHN3rWNOnsiBDluIX-8RJbYgUbJV9GBgrkxuJqMNFeU45HtKT3QCgjV3FiN9NalByfeeTaUwdI1_eiJN9qdBrYyhZPL0W8mQ34HfE3XXqmdbjxY3yAUHslxB2ski9dzgdkLrMz8hPOvXlF4q9TPyodiPIvPPMo0ZhDhogVxj8_j2V9au5ZNoAMz8CbgXICx7x9g7X-NV4_k_&__tn__=-UK-R) Thought I’d share this link. As liked the mechanism this guy has on his boat. ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-08-27 08:31:42 UTC | #457 Paste it here? I'll assume you need to login to see whatever it is. ------------------------- tallakt | 2022-08-27 09:36:15 UTC | #458 [quote="Freeflying, post:456, topic:1610"] Thought I’d share this link. As liked the mechanism this guy has on his boat. [/quote] ![image|690x498](upload://ktkpTJXd9VYlxt396WySMYbwDDR.jpeg) Pretty cool! ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-08-28 08:14:43 UTC | #459 https://www.reddit.com/r/MachinePorn/comments/wz06y2/first_nacelle_of_the_vestas_15_mw_wind_turbine/ [quote] Regarding the container, I am far less certain, but I believe it is here for modularity/serviceability : after a few years of functioning, the electronics or some high powered transformer of some kind is obsolete or has lost efficiency, instead of dismantling the whole structure, you unplug whatever is in that container from the rest of the pod, have an helicopter come and hook it up, bring it down to a supply ship for maintenance/upgrades and bring it back to extend the wind turbine's life at a reduced cost :slight_smile: [/quote] ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-08-28 16:04:29 UTC | #460 As someone who built his own 16-foot canoe from plans in Popular Science Magazine at age 11, and had fun with it with friends on our local bay and swamps for years, always daydreaming of such ways to power it, I'll say this is one I never quite thought of. I was more leaning toward an inboard lawnmower engine with a driveshaft out the rear transom, running a half-submerged fan/propeller. Hey I was just a kid! If this were a wind turbine, it would be at the "Professor Crackpot" stage. Next inventive steps: 1: Convert reciprocating paddles to at least one paddle **wheel** as seen on the old Mississippi riverboats, for smoother operation. 2) Convert the paddlewheel to a **regular propeller** for higher efficiency. These steps would bring this idea from the 1700's (or even the stone age), to modern times. You can see the similarity to wind turbine design philosophy. A) At the bottom of the heap is the "look, it wiggles!" principle, only pursued by the most unwilling-to-accept-reality wind energy wannabes. B) Taking a step up, you'd have surfaces oriented perpendicular to the flow, pushing or being pushed, in the direction of the flow, like this canoe. C) You move up again to a **circular motion** of these same types of surfaces "pushing" or "being pushed" downwind. (Ancient revolving-door wind turbines in Ancient Persia, and Savonius machines such as anemometer cups, riverboat paddlewheels) D) You take yet another step up, and tilt the surfaces slightly, then let them rotate always across the wind, and you have a regular wind turbine or boat propeller. This transition was over 1000 years ago in the Greek Islands for wind turbines, much later for boat propellers. E) Lose the soft sails and place fast rigid blades with defined airfoils out there, as in Europe (windmills) 1000 years ago. F) De-Evolution: Go back to a merry-go-round configuration, attempting to apply modern fast blades with defined airfoils to the original revolving-door windmill design of ancient Persia. Step F is where so many "Professor Crackpots" feel that they are "progressing" in wind turbine design, never realizing they are **regressing** by over 1000 years! ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-08-31 15:31:25 UTC | #461 2 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Questions about Moderation](/t/questions-about-moderation/1593/108) ------------------------- AweEnthusiast | 2022-09-02 16:00:51 UTC | #462 https://www.briantracy.com/blog/personal-success/positive-thinking/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter-bt&utm_campaign=1740-brian%27s+announcements&utm_content=51988-09%2f02%2f2022+%7c+positive+thinking ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-02 16:47:39 UTC | #463 True. I remember being in audio sales, and a friend sent me Tony Robbins tapes "Personal Power". I would put them in the car tape player and listen. Just from listening to the tapes, my sales doubled - what had been a $ good day was now a bad day, and within about 2 years I was hanging out with Bill Gates, and being offered millions for my suddenly famous new invention. But I got bored with that aspect of life and went back to being "normal"... Happy here on my Southern California ranch, I'm living the life that ex-presidents aspire to, without having to go through being president to get here. ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-09-02 19:47:10 UTC | #464 This is tangential or relevant to this recent comment: https://forum.awesystems.info/t/oceanergy/2104/39 https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/business/economy/portugal-russia-natural-gas.html [quote] Portugal has at times in the past sent electricity that it doesn’t use during the night to Spain, said Jaime Silva, the chief technology officer at Fusion Fuel, a Portuguese company that in August received [a $10 million grant](https://ir.fusion-fuel.eu/news-releases/news-release-details/fusion-fuel-receives-approval-eu10-million-grant-component-14) from the government to develop a green hydrogen project in Sines. The company’s offices occupy the site of a shuttered Siemens transformer factory. A model hydrogen generator powered by the sun sits on the lawn out front. He said it would be relatively easy and quick to install electrical cables through France that could transfer that energy farther north. “Before this crisis,” Mr. Silva said, “it was just Portugal and Spain saying, ‘We want to sell that energy,’ but the response from France was, ‘No, no, no.’” “Now,” he said, “we have Portugal and Spain saying, ‘We want to sell,’ and the other countries are saying, ‘We need to buy.’” “If France doesn’t want to buy it,” Mr. Silva added, “at least allow us to sell it to Germany, to Hungary, to the Czech Republic, to Austria, to Luxembourg, to Belgium, because those countries need energy right now.” Portugal and Spain’s ability to generate cheap electricity from wind, sun and water is putting pressure on Europe’s energy markets in other ways. They have argued that the European Union needs to reconfigure a system that currently bases the price of electricity on the price of gas. The power market was designed to encourage the development of renewable energy at a time when gas was cheap. But skyrocketing gas prices have caused electricity prices to explode. After pressure from Portugal and Spain, the European Union agreed in June to what is being called the [“Iberian exception”](https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_22_3550): The two countries can cap the price of electricity, and decouple it from the price of gas, for one year. The arrangement was condemned by critics who said it interfered with the market, but other leaders have since joined the push for revamping the price structure. Ursula von der Leyen, the president of the European Commission, said on Monday that the current system didn’t work. “We have to reform it,” she said. “We have to adapt it to the new realities of the domain of renewables.” “It was developed under completely different circumstances and for completely different purposes,” she added. Michael E. Webber, a professor of energy resources at the University of Texas at Austin, said the transition period was the most difficult. “There will be a lot of flailing around to find a solution for a very complex problem,” he said, adding, “Solutions take two to five years, and the crisis is now.” Meanwhile, he said, Europe is “muddling along as best it can.” [/quote] ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-03 17:43:57 UTC | #465 [quote="Rodread, post:452, topic:1610"] please for the love of the wee man just spell with us - Anchor [/quote] Yeah, before I develop a canchor sore! Also, it's "Bear" in mind, not "bare". The list goes on. How about the concept of "complete sentences"? What about subject/verb agreement? What about being careful about singular versus plural? Oh well, he spells the way he wants, I don't think we're going to "fix" him here. At least he comes up with some good stuff... :) ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-09-04 07:43:17 UTC | #466 @dougselsam,thanks! I do try to find some anchor points. Can’t get the gold without needing a shovel. Still plenty of digging to be done. I’m still trying to get back to the future. I’m still wondering where Hoverboards got to? Still toying with the idea, as I’ve made a few things. I’m working towards a working prototype,drawing on vast some of knowledge. So far I think the best thing I can come up with is? Ionocraft with hovercraft technology. taking advantage of airflow and the energy’s the rider can put in. So far been working out how to mesh a few concepts into one design. Ramjets, dyson pure cool me concept, co flow jets and iono craft. Basically combine as much aerodynamic into a compact board. I just need a few nozzles for the pure cool me, scaled down to find out. ![image|275x183](upload://1MgjDKFlbPp1Th6yD8wqS0kY9DV.jpeg) Just bare in mind the Average kick force is about 1000lb.I assume that thrust as well. So it’s only a case of calculating compression ratios. To Provide much need air flow, air density, & Lift. full grown adults range form on average 9stn-15stn so 95.2544kg on the top number. The thrust must be greater to lift a rider clean off the ground. Reckoning the possibility would be key. Considering the thrust potential of the human leg. Potential losses due to drag and the harrier jump jet. Figured it was possible, it gave me something to aim towards. Mark 1 was a mock up, A visual gets to grips. Had imagined forward motion creating. circulating heated vortex convection currents. Then floating on hot air. Defending got a few good ideas. Just need to work on the execution. I’m lucky enough that it can be retrofitted to an old board, from of the shelf parts. Essentially need need to scale down some of the parts I’ve already made. To fit the board size. ------------------------- Rodread | 2022-09-04 08:10:35 UTC | #467 Bear in mind not to have bear feet or they'll end up bare from the suction on top of this hoverboard ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-09-04 13:23:21 UTC | #468 I don’t expect that anyone should be bare footed here. Skate shoes are a must! What see i grisly bear when I see it spelled “bear”. Bear where? I’ve seen chickens deboned by a Pratt&Whitney. Safety regs apply. The aim is to have the fewest moving parts. ------------------------- Rodread | 2022-09-04 13:50:17 UTC | #469 [quote="Freeflying, post:468, topic:1610"] The aim is to have the fewest moving parts. [/quote] On the machine not the rider ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-09-04 16:08:16 UTC | #470 Machine, definitely machine! Face palming myself for not making that clearer 🤦‍♂️ Proper donut moment. The rider is the main moving part. The rest can be solid and purely geometric. The rider providing the input for the whole system to work. ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-04 20:13:13 UTC | #471 [quote="Freeflying, post:468, topic:1610"] grisly bear when I see it spelled “bear”. Bear where? I’ve seen chickens deboned by a Pratt&Whitney. [/quote] OK that was a good start but now you've gotta spell Grizzly Bear right. And by the way, I've told several people about how SuperTurbine(R) was really invented as a poultry processor, that first slaughters and de-feathers, then cuts fillets, then throws them onto a solar barbecue. It was only after running it for awhile on a windy day that we noticed the power meter was running backwards. ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-09-06 10:21:42 UTC | #472 https://youtu.be/PQqhVzmBNYU He’s using for a tank. I bet I can be made into some awes or wave power generator. I can’t say how effective it would be? But it’s interesting! Look a lot like a inline wave generator. that could work with passing wave action no matter the orientation? ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-09-07 20:48:25 UTC | #473 https://youtu.be/lHcqM7Gi8GA Guess who’s back with bright ideas? Even one suggestion so dark that it might make you wince? 10 suggestions. The duck was one I really like. as it reminded me of all those bulk carriers which could be retrofitted. So duck duck goose. ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-09-07 20:58:19 UTC | #474 Stop watching him. Maybe @dougselsam can do another rant about him. This is better [How does it work?](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17XZf5p5Sqo&list=PLenMJujm-wHP0x1io508dNvBS1Q83Hwbf) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17XZf5p5Sqo&list=PLenMJujm-wHP0x1io508dNvBS1Q83Hwbf ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-09-08 21:16:12 UTC | #475 As long as the core knowledge is there? I can’t see what the problem is? He recently did a thing with hydrothermal carbonisation. It doesn’t matter so much if it a man in a boiler suit, or a lass in her summer dress. Provided the information is consistently correct it game on. sure good king Doug can provide a custom roasting and debunk. He’s good at them! As far as I recall, from the early training vids from performing engineering operations? Which lead in to the 6983. No partisanship was a must. More viewed ok this guy doing this? Lets figure out why? if there was something to learn? you would learn it! Impartiality, non biased and most important transparency. Yes there are various format, some that get to the point quicker than others. The was one, where some guy thought of using a feminine hygiene product, for lighting a light bulb. Yes that was was bogus! He seems to like his magic bulbs? So how it made is good. At the end of the day it just a presentation. takers or not? He’s spending hours on thing most of us can barely spare 5 minutes for. He done a solar cells based on phase shifting light. Not my everyday bread, still I do believe he call a few ideas crazy. ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-09-08 21:41:07 UTC | #476 [quote="Freeflying, post:475, topic:1610"] Provided the information is consistently correct it game on [/quote] It isn't. He's a blind man leading the one-eyed. Just because someone sounds confident and enthusiastic doesn't mean they are smart or correct or you should listen to him. He's wasting everyone's time and you're growing dumber by listening to him. Go watch this instead: [Dianna's Intro Physics Class](https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGO_AWB1C4GQz6JF3-0yZHpoKfqZb7O5z), or anything else. ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-09-09 08:19:06 UTC | #477 Well that got religious quick? Two archetype mentioned in the first few words. Have been wondering if it a left or right wing thing here? Anyone behind the sheildwall going to be ok? Anyone on the sore end of it? Perhaps not? I guess that’s the difference with observations based STEM fields. It also reminds me that, it sometimes a magic show. Main challenge explaining is things to the unknowing, that things exist. You never get to know existence by ignoring it’s dark corners. Its guy like this that give the unknowing a heads up. Yes he may not be worth a squat? There are levels of dumb. Imposter syndrome is one. it well known counterparts the other. You have those who think themselves smarter than they are? then you have the exception those are hyper intelligent but struggle to relate to others? Both are pretty dumb situations to be in. Growth is just a matter of direction, It generally don’t have labels bolted on? Maybe a mission report? Or a story of today I explored……? Like fishing, wrong bate = no fish=no fish supper. Scope is awareness. Thank for the links! ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-09-09 13:54:40 UTC | #478 https://calwave.energy/ Seem I wasn’t to far off with my line of thinking using a mulberry harbour. This company is using the idea. More over what look like a beetle design to achieve energy production. Enjoy! ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-09 15:10:57 UTC | #479 I have a saying: Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man HOW to fish and he will teach someone else, and that person will teach yet another person, until the oceans are emptied of fish. We're almost there now. Funny I just got that same email about **Calwave** from *Interesting Engineering* this morning. Ever notice that Interesting Engineering, Smithsonian, and Popular Science, all feature the same stores within a day or two of each other? I'm probably missing other online "magazines". Looks like one more consolidation of the information you are allowed to see. The funny thing about CalWave is they aren't forthcoming with two key facts: 1) How does it work? 2) What is the output? All they are willing to say is it lasted 10 months instead of 6 months, but I'm guessing it had some problems so they had to stop it. They mention a reel for positioning - I'm thinking maybe it operates by underwater float-reeling. To me it looks too material-intensive for its intercepted area. Next, Youtube fed me another wave energy video. Seems like the repeating theme with wave-energy stories is how every one eventually fails. I am not sure why, but it's been going on for many years. OK so anyway, this sciencey-guy on Youtube is engaging and fun to watch, but I think you have to understand his target audience and probably goal of just attracting a lot of views to monetize. While he might trigger a good idea in hardcore tech people, he's mostly talking to kids and the somewhat scientifically-interested fans. I wouldn't place too much confidence in the accuracy of his explanations. It's more like "Look at this - Isn't it interesting!" He's the kind of guy who is likely to repeat the Bernoulli explanation for lift, probably because that was how it was explained to him 50 years ago. Since then it has been amply proven as wrong, even just by calculations on paper, let alone CFD studies, but it still gets repeated ad infinitum. The effect is not sufficient to explain the high amount of lift an airfoil generates. Just a few days ago I saw David Attenborough use the Bernoulli explanation for lift to explain how a fossilized flying reptile flew, quickly stated, as though there was no doubt, yet he had it wrong. The thing about science in general is, it is almost always wrong. Scientists used to have elaborate explanations for the "strange" movements of the planets, and using those complicated explanations, were able to accurately predict apparent positions of planets far into the future, but the whole time their theory was 100% wrong. Turned out all the planets were orbiting the sun, and "science" had been 100% full-of-s*** for hundreds of years. Meanwhile it later came to light that the heliocentric model was already understood in ancient Egypt, and probably before that, then just forgotten. I'll predict that it will turn out the same for everything from "the big bang" to "dark matter", "the expanding universe", maybe even "black holes", on and on, all similar to thinking the Earth is flat, because it so obviously "is", on a small scale, but stepping back to see the big picture, we realize it is an approximation, good for designing a building, but not for large land surveys. It's all about inappropriate, uninformed extrapolation of limited information that seems accurate in a limited scope, to a larger reality. Anyway, when you see this science-guy's videos of crafting a wind turbine from plastic spoons, he's working on a tinkerer's level - maybe impressive for a junior-high-school science fair, but why isn't he able to build a decent actual wind turbine? Because he's just fooling around, having fun. That doesn't necessarily make him an authority on science, just more of a guy making fun videos with a scientific theme. Oh and I almost forgot - lots of people with very active minds think of themselves as "breakthrough thinkers". But to come up with actual breakthroughs requires more than just an active mind, or a high level of interest in many subjects. Those are essential qualities for an innovator, but not sufficient qualities. They are sufficient to be one more "Professor Crackpot". To be an actual, effective innovator requires one to be able to analyze things in great detail, see where others are getting it wrong, and be organized enough to put it all together into something new that works better. Just being interested or curious doesn't get you there. Just like being a huge football fan doesn't make one an NFL champion quarterback.. ------------------------- tallakt | 2022-09-09 15:31:33 UTC | #480 [quote="dougselsam, post:479, topic:1610"] I am not sure why, but it’s been going on for many years. [/quote] I predict, because energy will never be free, that people will keep on inventing new wave and wind energy designs forever. Now heres the hard question; why arent more people inventing new solar panels? After all solar panels _are_ the cheapest renewable power by now, arent they? Just shows, these inventors are more concerned with their own contraptions than standing on the shoulders of giants. Not a good recipe for success. But human nature won’t change, so better to make sure we are not those guys. Which, to be honest, is not easy to say if we are or not… ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-09 16:02:27 UTC | #481 [quote="tallakt, post:480, topic:1610"] I predict, because energy will never be free, that people will keep on inventing new wave and wind energy designs forever. Now heres the hard question; why arent more people inventing new solar panels? [/quote] Hi Pierre: I think it is because wind and wave power are more accessible to more people. To design solar panels requires getting into quantum electronics and material science. It may be that certain expensive facilities, and a lot of specific knowledge, are required. Meanwhile, anyone can build a working wind turbine, and wave-power devices are even easier to understand, which may be a clue why so many wave-energy designs are not working out - the people pursuing it don't want to squeeze their brains too hard. Anyone can see a wave and imagine some way to extract some power, but that doesn't mean they have an effective, efficient approach. I know of two new directions in solar: Perovskite panels, and thin-film technology. The perovskite handles different wavelengths than silicon, and could be combined to raise efficiency. The thin-film efforts may make solar easier to apply to currently-unused surfaces. ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-09 18:12:46 UTC | #482 [quote="dougselsam, post:479, topic:1610"] Interesting Engineering, Smithsonian, and Popular Science, all feature the same stores within a day or two of each other [/quote] OK here's another one I forgot: "New Atlas" So far, that's: 1) Interesting Engineering 2) Smithsonian 3) Popular Science 4) New Atlas Seen one? You've seen them all - same articles, within a couple days of each other. Who is spoon-feeding them "the stories"? ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-09-09 19:59:24 UTC | #483 If I had to guess? Our new monarch? He’s quite invested in these sorts of things. He certainly be interested in getting people out there to do it? The real question on my mind is how would he achieve it? Why, social media of course! Dig deep enough you sure to find HM sovereigns fingers all over it. He has more connections than most people would dare like to admit. On phone call and it goes viral. Now the blessed queen is taking her final bow. I suspect we shall see more of it?! I’ve long suspected yet not able to to prove with out a shadow of a doubt? they know where all the boffins are and they where to find them. Im still wait on a summons. Even if to tighten a few wheel nuts? It something the did during ww2. With the world going into another turning. It will be the job of the creative type to step up, and embrace the new era. It might answer the who, the how, and the why? I might say it a great opportunity to bring a king along side. You might get a fascinating? ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-09 20:23:52 UTC | #484 You mean the Romanian who owns Dracula's castle in Transylvania? ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-09-10 07:06:54 UTC | #485 I hadn’t not considered Dracula? But it’s an interesting take! I more referring to the 70 years of queen Elizabeth 2nd. yes she was related to the house of trastamara and Dracula. Even Ghenis Khan if I recall correctly?Plenty of meme hints on that. The former prince of wales. Had quite the vested interest in the green agenda. Hedge layer supremo and environmental activist. This is where you could mention hotel transylvania because of his connection? Lol 😂 I’ve long suspected he’s had his fingers in the pie so to speak. Though he might shy away from admitting it? He want to bring the marginalised to front and centre. So if someone swoops in? Put the deal on the table? you can bet your bottom dollar he will take it up? ------------------------- tallakt | 2022-09-10 11:31:58 UTC | #486 While you guys were rambling I was thinking about AWE… ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-09-10 19:45:15 UTC | #487 [quote="Windy_Skies, post:476, topic:1610"] It isn’t. He’s a blind man leading the one-eyed. [/quote] The "It isn't" is premature I think. I'd have to watch more of him to confirm this, which I'm probably not going to do. My opinion of him is based on his spoon wind turbine nonsense, and then this video about heating a pool with waste heat from a crematorium. That's all a waste of time when you want to make a working turbine. To improve on something you first have to understand how that something works, and what you posted doesn't help with that. First learn the basics. He's distracting everyone with random tidbits that you can't place the relevance or irrelevance of until you have a basic understanding of things. ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-09-13 17:59:12 UTC | #488 If you put *[dynamic pressure](http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html)* $ ½ ρ V^2 $ into [cylinder (sphere) stress](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_stress) $ \sigma_\theta = \dfrac{Pr}{2t} $, you get $ \sigma_\theta = \dfrac{½ ρ V^2r}{2t} $, which might have some relation to needed distance between bridle points, and needed strength and thickness of materials. Something like that should be covered in kite design books? ------------------------- Rodread | 2022-09-13 16:59:15 UTC | #489 Hi @Windy_Skies Can you confirm a source to verify ... I think you're saying numbers of bridles required per span length and material weight per m^2 raise with higher wing loading implied by longer spans with their higher speeds and masses ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-09-13 17:58:16 UTC | #490 Maybe this is better, convert [wing loading](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_loading) $ \dfrac{kg}{m^2} $ to pressure $ P=\dfrac{g\cdot kg}{m^2} $, and then put that into the cylinder stress formula. Or not, I don't know. The idea is that this is an alternative to https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/beams-fixed-end-d_560.html and bending loads for soft skin kites so that you may bound your scaling factor estimations. Also it could be useful if you are trying to design a soft skin kite. If you take a wing loading of $ 50 \dfrac{kg}{m^2} $, the maximum of a ship kite, page 9: [Deformation and Aerodynamic Performance of a Ram-Air Wing](https://repository.tudelft.nl/islandora/object/uuid:786e3395-4590-4755-829f-51283a8df3d2/datastream/OBJ/download), and some other arbitrary values, you get: $ \dfrac{50\cdot9.8\cdot1}{2\cdot0.001}=245kN $. You could use more accurate numbers to get more accurate results. I don't know if this equation is accurate, but I do think all variables are relevant. Random links: http://www.peterlynnhimself.com/sssl-2021 https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijae/2018/8924983/ ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-16 15:51:53 UTC | #491 OK , besides looking almost identical to my offshore SuperTurbine(TM) floating offshore designs, and using my patented Spar-buoy floating foundation, this "story" repeats the typical vertical-axis fan-boy talking points. Of course they have to say: "Doesn't need to aim", and how about this passage that reduces from a logical argument to outright name-calling: "Today's **fan-on-a-stick** offshore wind turbines, according to these innovators, are built around on-shore designs and land-based thinking that will simply never work cost-effectively out in the deep ocean. There's a massive opportunity here for fundamentally different designs to disrupt a rather sick-looking industry, deliver vastly cheaper energy from offshore wind farms, and by doing so, make a huge contribution to the clean energy revolution." So they think calling wind turbines a derogatory "fan-on-a-stick" will make their system that uses more material to produce less power better? Funny. :) ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-16 15:51:53 UTC | #492 [quote="dougselsam, post:491, topic:1610"] their system that uses more material to produce less power [/quote] ![image|250x500](upload://guBJKSCos1iCzgcE1JvtfmkIsSc.jpeg) It is obvious to even a child that their design uses at least 4 times the blade material to sweep the same area as a "fan-on-a-stick" All they need is one set of their "struts", aimed at the wind, to sweep the same area as 2 sets of struts and a fat set of blades oriented against centrifugal force, which requires more strength = more material = more weight = more cost.. ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-22 22:49:15 UTC | #493 Anyone care to predict whether this press-release concept will ever actually be built? If so, maybe they could use some AWE! https://newatlas.com/architecture/worlds-largest-geothermal-lagoon-village-canada/ ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-23 18:17:47 UTC | #494 The Air Canada "news" headline says they bought 30 planes. Then when you read it, it says they **agreed to** purchase 30 planes **in the future**, and bought a $5 million dollar stake in the supposed producer of the alleged aircraft. As you read on, it starts saying the airplane **"will"** be able to fit 30 passengers - but that is only for very short hops where it doesn't need its onboard "generator supplemented power". And it looks like none of this "will" happen until 2028 - six (6) years in the future. We have to be very careful reading these "news of the future" promotional press-release articles. Think of the Makani "news" of the past, saying how many hundred homes they "would" power in Hawaii by date Z. Did any of it come true? Well, experience says this is similarly unlikely to happen as outlined. From what I'm seeing, it looks like this is a fictitious airplane that does not even exist, that what we're seeing are renderings only, and, depending on this company's progress with what is just a concept, not to mention surrounding events around the entire world, and even the weather itself, this "story" is likely to completely change, or simply become one more wish that never happened, within the six year timeframe. Let's remain optimistic, but let's not be gullible. Have we seen this movie before?:) ------------------------- Freeflying | 2022-09-25 10:32:42 UTC | #495 For alittle while I’ve been looking into means to support myself in the years to come. Thought I note worthy to mention a few things going on in the winder world I’ve encountered I know have some value. As many of the engineers are looking for easy ways to fund their project. One potential option is homegrown gems and semiprecious stones. Because I YouTube a lot you get to learn a few things. Artificial rubies, jade and many others. With the advent of carbon capture this it may incentivise the process? Everyones favourite https://youtu.be/_u5ZcCccr88 Then it struck me that one of the potential minerals is nephrite. Aka jade. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephrite Jade price per kg current sits at **$25,000 – 5,000,000**per kg but it can be more dependent on source. With that in mind it reminds me of another video I watched https://youtu.be/ybcdRQmQcHQ The content creator end up making artificial rubies. As far as I know rubies go for a pretty penny these days **at least $1,000 per carat** obviously the various minerals composites will create different gems with various markets values. There are also alternative use in the construction industry opening the door to less environmentally damaging ways to create stone. Ever since Iceland https://youtu.be/G0fi7KZdDDU I knew something was coming over the horizon that would shake up the industry. Altogether means an industry that can effectively be carbon negative. Like they say? brick by brick! Hour by hour! Futures are born! If, the current level of development continue? It might be plausible to say at some point in the not too distant future? humanity will offset its carbon output! I’m fascinated by the idea of jade towers. I can see why the Chinese love the stuff. Why it was so important to them? in many of the Ancient ruling dynasties. It could tempt the Chinese to invest heavy in the technology? To offset there pollution are revitalise their economy. a stable China means a stable world. Lest want or need for them expansion into other avenues. Which open up trade opportunities fro the rest of the world. India and China are among the fastest growing economies in the world. Even with the slowdown Chinese interest still out compete many of their over seas rivals. I can’t say how much a change in funding will help most ordinary people and their companies? I do know one thing, a self sustaining economy it better than one solely based on debt! ------------------------- PierreB | 2022-09-28 17:12:28 UTC | #496 https://www.linkedin.com/events/introductiontositeassessmentfor6978367947199152128/about/ ![image|690x388](upload://4JIJjIiTcRY3vKpbVt9M3HixOqB.jpeg) ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-28 17:12:28 UTC | #497 More hand-waving and happy-talk. What I'd like to know are details of how these systems that have been supposedly "sold" and which **may** be actually "operating" are actually working out - as usual... :) This is starting to remind me of all these electric air taxi projects, including Joby (early AWE player pivoted to air mobility) and also Vertical Aerospace https://newatlas.com/aircraft/vertical-aerospace-first-flight-manned/ as just two examples. We must see a new air taxi project every week - just never a finished product or system in operation. All news remains perpetually "in the future" (echo... echo... echo.....) :) ------------------------- PierreB | 2022-09-28 17:12:28 UTC | #498 Hi Doug: I'm not sure if you have looked at the content of the image, or what you should see (IMHO). If you do, you may see that there is likely no: [quote="dougselsam, post:497, topic:1610"] “in the future” [/quote] ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-28 17:12:28 UTC | #499 Hi Pierre: I'm not quite understanding your message. I did look at the image - what's to see? Also, on Linked-in, I saw this: Thu, Sep 29, 2022, 6:00 AM - 6:30 AM (your local time) Hamburg Messe und Congress GmbH, Messeplatz 1, Hamburg, DE, 20357 WindEnergy 2022, SkySails booth B6.202 * ![Attendee profile images|32x32](https://media-exp1.licdn.com/dms/image/C4D03AQGvId09rU1Fag/profile-displayphoto-shrink_100_100/0/1516763965206?e=1669852800&v=beta&t=taQE_pxVDWQTTZhnaXpCTv56X2A9PAmTaBD_Z-uxC2o) Roderick Read and 8 other attendees ------------------------- PierreB | 2022-09-28 17:12:28 UTC | #500 [quote="dougselsam, post:499, topic:1610"] I did look at the image - what’s to see? [/quote] Indeed, everything is in the image. But that's my opinion and I don't think it's shared in AWE circles. And yet, it is obvious. It's up to you to find out what I think, or dare I say, what you should think. ------------------------- AweEnthusiast | 2022-09-28 17:12:28 UTC | #501 Just as in any Energy Project, Site Assessment is a vital project requirement. Addressing Site Assessment for AirborneWindEnergy Systems, therefore, shows serious efforts towards some project implementation, at least in terms of feasibility at a given location. @dougselsam comments to me seem rather **off-topic and this calls to question the rationale for 'all questions to be addressed by the author' as demanded by forum rules**. Some comments are simply out to denigrate the author and derail the topic, such really need no bother, IMHO. ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-28 17:16:05 UTC | #502 Hi Pierre: Experience says your concern would be with spacing. ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-28 17:20:16 UTC | #503 [quote="AweEnthusiast, post:501, topic:1610"] @dougselsam comments to me seem rather **off-topic** [/quote] Once again I check my email, see I have some message here, so I click on the link to this site and the first thing I see is "topic closed, moved to "slow chat" - as usual. So I click on that "slow chat" link and find myself clicking maybe 50 times to get up to the present message on Slow Chat. I'm supposed to reply to John, but he doesn't have much to say. All I have to offer is 30 years of fielding questions and aimless accusations from people who **say** they are developing new wind energy systems, but who are not now, never have, and never will... :) ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-09-28 17:54:46 UTC | #504 I'm really tired of these ever-shifting "topics". I see a message and the topic has changed before I can even finish replying, then the system interrupts me so I end up rewriting the whole reply and now I don;t even know where it is or how it git here or anything. This whole thing is getting to be more and more of a complete waste of time and energy. ------------------------- Windy_Skies | 2022-10-02 06:44:40 UTC | #506 https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/xtb6bb/eli5_what_is_it_about_wood_glue_that_makes_wood/ [quote] Wood glue fact number 3: using titebond 3 does work amazingly well as makeshift fiberglass when you soak cotton fabric in it and use it for waterproofing on joints. People use it for homemade teardrop trailers all the time. Poor man’s fiberglass. [/quote] ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-10-03 18:39:07 UTC | #507 Wind Energy Industry facing layoffs: https://maritime-executive.com/article/wind-turbine-maker-siemens-gamesa-lays-off-2-900-workers ------------------------- tallakt | 2022-10-04 07:19:52 UTC | #508 It is worrying that the wind energy is performing layoffs when we have global warming as a slow trend and an imminent energy crisis ongoing in Europe… should have thought wind was booming now ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-10-04 15:54:43 UTC | #509 Hi everyone: I just ran across this TRL readiness comparison of EVTOL flying electric "cars" - a similar comparison might be made for AWE systems. At the top of their list is JOBY, a former AWE company who quit AWE almost immediately after starting in about 2008: LINK: https://newatlas.com/aircraft/evtol-air-taxi-aam-reality-index-sergio-cecutta/ ------------------------- Rodread | 2022-10-04 18:49:25 UTC | #510 "TRL readiness"? As you put it... Is that getting ready to be ready? Or something like technology redundancy level readiness? ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-10-04 19:08:30 UTC | #511 [quote="Rodread, post:510, topic:1610"] “TRL readiness”? As you put it… Is that getting ready to be ready? [/quote] Hi Rod: Yes I knew that was redundant when I wrote it. Yup I guess it's "getting ready to get ready". I remember when what's-his-name from the previous forum went thru periods of fixation on the term TRL. Trying to think - what were the "TRL" of Makani and Altaeros? I was never a big fan of such analyses, given how often they turn out to be meaningless. But it sounded so similar to AWE in the sense of the number of entrants and competitors, and the task of trying to make any sense out of all their favorable press-release-type info versus whatever reality lurks beneath the surface, I figured I'd throw it on the fire over here. I'm not ready to give an opinion on the likelihood of success for any of these EVTOL projects, but I'd be hesitant to climb on board for a ride, given the possibility of just falling out of the sky, depending.. . :) ------------------------- tallakt | 2022-10-04 19:26:38 UTC | #512 TRL is like people telling us Tesla can’t do autopilot without a lidar on the roof. If you are an investor you may be in the unfortunate situation that you would have to consider the TRL report. For the rest of us, maybe just let that stuff pass in quiet. If the airtaxi company knows what it is doing, it wont need an outsider to tell then how much work is left. ------------------------- Rodread | 2022-10-04 20:49:06 UTC | #513 Mark Moore (Whisper Aero formerly did an AWES study @ NASA) always has a good comment on LinkedIn on how far from the truth the marketing is in many EVTOL However, I did see an encouraging comment from him recently... High praise ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-10-05 00:25:06 UTC | #514 Just the fact that they CALL them "taxi" ahead of any fact tells you a lot. They are basically saying nobody will want to buy one for their own use. A vehicle designed for a single use: to get you to the airport. Dreamers. You think airports want a few hundred of them flying around in their airspace? If they were any good, they would be in use RIGHT NOW, in some place that has no rules against them. Vaporware. ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-10-06 17:21:11 UTC | #515 Wind Energy Industry facing more layoffs. This time, rather than Siemens, it's GE Onshore Wind. The article does mention competition from Siemens as a factor. (They don't mention offshore wind in this article): https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/06/ge-layoff-20percent-of-onshore-wind-workforce-hundreds-of-jobs.html ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-10-07 18:08:22 UTC | #516 OK so both GE Wind and Siemens are laying off people, at least for onshore wind. Here's an interesting twist: A U.S. Court has decided GE (Largest U.S. turbine manufacturer) can't sell On-Shore turbines in the U.S. anymore, due to Siemens patents: https://nawindpower.com/judge-rules-ge-offshore-wind-turbines-cannot-be-sold-in-u-s Hopefully the two companies can reach some agreement. Correction: The ruling was regarding GE's Haliade-X **OFF-SHORE** turbines - sorry, I screwed up. https://www.ge.com/renewableenergy/wind-energy/offshore-wind/haliade-x-offshore-turbine https://www.offshorewind.biz/2022/09/08/ge-banned-from-selling-haliade-x-offshore-wind-turbine-in-us-two-projects-exempted/ ------------------------- dougselsam | 2022-10-12 16:04:12 UTC | #517 Here's another "look, it wiggles!" wind energy "breakthrough": https://newatlas.com/energy/cheap-wind-harvester-electricity-gentle-breeze/ ------------------------- AweEnthusiast | 2022-10-12 21:03:54 UTC | #518 https://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/flugwindkraftanlagen-turbinen-im-jetstream-a-00000000-0002-0001-0000-000166262998 ------------------------- PierreB | 2022-10-12 21:03:54 UTC | #519 > Von [Philip Bethge](https://www.spiegel.de/impressum/autor-6dd29c49-0001-0003-0000-000000000629) > > 04.10.2019, 18.00 Uhr • aus [DER SPIEGEL 41/2019](https://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/index-2019-41.html) Hello John, This article is already three years old. And also the picture seems to represent a SkySails' offshore kite farm, far to any jet-stream. ------------------------- AweEnthusiast | 2022-10-12 21:03:54 UTC | #520 DaveS: Every AWE journalistic item tells a story. None are entirely correct. In this case Der Speigel does get the Jet Stream part wrong, but so do contributors here get many facts wrong, never necessarily corrected. However, every item, right or wrong, adds its bit to societal awareness of AWE, that leads to increased action. This item also records New Forum socialization. The graphic is a nice window into SkySails PR even earlier than 2018, so with many now quaint details, like bridles the artist depicts too short, and rectangular rather elliptical wings. Look close to see the two-line system SkySails depends on, a thin upper line for handling and safety retention, with a traveller up and down, lately dispensed with in the SkySails 100. -------------------------