A strong hangglider as a kite?

Could a semirigid kite be built as a hangglider and withstand a high lift, C_L 1.5 at 40 m/s for instance? (ie carrying 2 ton weight)

It is initially dimensioned for 6G, translating approx to 0.5 ton. I would think making it 8x stronger would make it usable for AWE… The weight of a hangglider is around 27 kg and 15 square meter… https://www.avianonline.co.uk/userfiles/file/What’s%20new%20Rio%202%20Mk%203.pdf

Can’t we just use a hangglider as is to build a small scale awes?

1 Like

I have a X-celerator which is a semi-rigid delta-shaped kite. Its L/D ratio is high for a kite, perhaps 5 or more. It runs at high speed and produces large pull. Indeed that could lead to an intermediary AWES between soft and rigid wing. Below is a video (not mine):

It would need at the very least some way of steering. The pictured glider conveniently has a tail rod, where such steering could be implemented easily.

My interest in this issue was firstly just if this construction could be a viable option for larger kites…

The hangglider had the benefit if a much larger scale and also is dual layer. I expect it has much higher glide ratio for this reason.

My guess is that starting with the hangglider would be further along the development path compared to starting with a regular delta kite

Took this video last Friday from a hill a few miles behind my ranch

The video below represents a small model of hang glider, likely in foam material.

It could be laminated with epoxy resin and reinforcement fibers to be more resistant. Certainly the lower Reynolds number would lead to a different behavior compared to a full-scale hang glider.

Making a hang-glider heavier for a 4x load means its no longer COTS, but very customized, and such excess weight never helps make a better kite.

The simplest solution is to fully bridle the HG wing for the two-ton load desired, to bypass the cantilever limitations of the frame.

1 Like

http://www.nestofdragons.net/rigid-wings-overview/footlaunch-listing/klingberg-wing/ :
" Specifications

• Area 165 ft2 - 15.3 m2
  • Weight 85 lbs - 38.5 kg. (without instruments or parachute)
  • Span 38’8" - 11.8 m
  • Best glide Exceeding 20:1
  • VNE 75 mi/h - 120 km/h
  • Design load +/- 6g"

A basis for an AWES?

Isnt this more like a normal composite construction?

Klingberg wings are not exactly HG (pilot does not “hang”), but classified as an ultra-light glider.

For two-ton work-loading as an AWES, the constant-mass rigging solution remains the same- span-load the cantilever wing by a string bridle, to increase its load-limit.

Klingberg carefully insists his composite wing construction is not “normal”, but specialized for strength-to-weight over all other design-build factors, as his admirable construction videos explain:

1 Like