High altitude wind energy? Or to market now?

I think kitepower have a great position. They go for mobility, even If I think the ground unit could be a lot smaller. They have a middle range power output of 100kW which is reasonable.
They have what they call the kite control unit for automatic launch which is quite simple, soft wing.
Weak point might be the durability of the wing maybe.
Then come the price? Is it for sale, or do they sell the service? Just shipping the whole thing would cost a lot. They do not speak about price yet but if they want to be in their time-line which is one year from now, then they shall start to market the whole thing, shift the website from classical team, tech, our goal and so on to a real selling website.

I am just thinking is this possible or not, technically. I am not in a position to say something accurate about profitability, but I believe there is potential to be profitable with scale.

About Ampyx: I believe their rigs may produce power like they claim, and launch and land is possible. My major concern is reeling out tether during a hot launch. My second concern would be handling offshore conditions and maintenance costs. Profitability? I dont have a clue

At AWEC2019, Uwe Fechner presented the release of a dataset from kitepower project testing from between 2011 and 2015. In totoal 81 physical properties were logged…
So I asked if the data on kite pod steering current demand was included in the set.
If anyone knows where that data is … I’m very interested.

Rod, indeed there is a compilation comprising data of 42 flights with three different wings. As it is not yet the definitive document I suggest you to ask to Roland for this paper. Perhaps he could provide a copy to the forum.

TBH I’m speculating here… I haven’t gone through the data-set yet and… It may be that I asked for results from the recent tests, which will be confidential.
I’m just going on my hunch… which says… It’s going to require a hefty load of power to shift the brake or steering line when you’ve got such an enormous kite going so fast in high wind.
And because it’s just a hunch I left the swearing out of that description.
Single line, large soft kite control may well be easy with the right bearings and gearing.

That is exactly what you were already referring to (see below):

When flying KitePower collects a lot of data that is useful for all AWE actors of which those using yoyo mode. All AWE companies make a great job. But one can see the realizations as preliminaries towards a possible better and more expensive design. Now the intermediate (not utility-scale) markets issues can be who will buy an automated system flying crosswind by a low elevation angle as a required condition is the lack of inhabitants in the production area. This is not easy because if the system is connected to the local network the installation should be close to existing equipment such as diesel generators, and so to…inhabitants. It is far more easy to implement a conventional wind turbine, or even a stationary AWES.

1 Like

The FAA (and ICAO) will only stop AWE players who violate airspace safety, as adjudicators of all safety complaints made by aviation and other stakeholders. Kites have been regulated by the FAA for generations, as carefully documented on the old Forum.

The core import of FAA AWE regulation is not the policing function, but the intimate connection to Aviation Safety Culture’s best practices incumbent on our AWE Pilot Community. Every major AWE plant will long require a PIC (pilot-in-command) who understands airspace and aviation safety.

Those AWE ventures that neglect Aviation Safety Culture will not be insurable, at a minimum; relegated to remote niche markets, until safer AWE overtakes those markets too.

1 Like

Hello Pierre & Rod,
I am still working on the data set, a.o. because I was able to retrieve even more flight recordings (now 47 individual flights). Authors are Uwe Fechner and myself. This will all be for the 20 kW pumping kite power system of TU Delft, which has a nominal average electrical power of about 7 kW. The data set comes with a detailed report which researchers can use to develop a physical model of the system. In this time period we used three different kites: Mutiny V2 with 25 m2 wing surface area, Genetrix Hydra 14 with 14 m2 surface area and TU Delft V3 with 25 m2 surface area. The report also links to previous publications from our research group. I will also include detailed photo footage for most of the flights.

3 Likes