Kitemill aquires KPS assets

My question may be not appropriate. Is the one 100 kg 15 m/s winch suitable for the reel-in recovery phase, and the second 800 kg 8 m/s winch for the reel-out generation phase?

But if the tether and the (soft) kite were replaced at the same time, it might make maintenance easier (?).

Both winches do both generate and reel in phases independently. What will make commercial maintenance easier? it would have to start with a kite with a practical commercial service life to begin with I guess. I think predicting when these components are about to fail is going to be a prognostics problem using feedback from creep, duty cycle and post failure analysis etc, so could be difficult to design them to have the same service life; certainly to begin with.

1 Like

Having hoped the same for KPS’ patents :wink:

2 Likes

Have been unable to respond here in timely way, due to Windy Skies suspending my account for a week.

In short, the KPS line jumped out of its fairlead groove on video because two vertical fairlead rollers were missing, a normal design feature of winching fairleads in many domains.

Standard fairlead geometry is best be rotated 90deg, with face-rollers flipped, to closest match the AWES fairlead need.