OCEANERGY

Dear Tallakt,

if I would live in Norway I would agree with you: Lets have a H2 factory next to the steel mill…

But this would not work for Germany or Japan, because these countries do not have enough renewable energy resources to replace all the current fossile electricity, and the power needed for heat pumps and electric cars AND for the industry… They can decide to de-industrialize, like Britain did, or to import renewable energy.

Importing renewable energy via long-distant high voltage DC lines is the most efficient way to do it, but for many reasons the DESERTEC initiative failed…

So now, within a time frame of 10 years, getting renewables from Africa or Australia or the Ocean, from any of the many places where they are available in larger quantities and cheaper than local production in Germany or Japan is the only alternative if you want to de-carbonize the society AND keep industry in the country. And importing renewable energy on a long distance only makes sense in chemical form, e.g. as hydrogen or methane or ammonia.

I agree that some industries, like aluminum production should just be moved to locations with cheap renewables, like Norway or Australia… But I think Germany will still need to produce its own steel…

So I am in favor of green H2 production from wind and solar… The only question that is open from my point of view is if kite pulled ships are a good choice or not…

1 Like