Questions and complaints about moderation + unlisted, mostly unmoderated, free discussion

Joe whether you want to produce GigaWatts or not seems irrelevant considering you haven’t really generated much of anything at all yet. The very idea that you would bring up the topic is absurd. Whether you “want” to generate GigaWatts as a topic is itself absurd. You’re a million miles from even approaching a single kiloWatt. Get real! You guys are just so completely delusional, it boggles the mind. It almost hurts to think about you trying to generate any useful amount of power, yet I don’t see what’s stopping you except you guys seemingly “can’t get out of your own way.” The really strange thing to me is you even bringing up such an absurd topic, yet you seem entirely serious, as though anyone familiar with you would ever expect you to be involved with Giga-anything except maybe Giga-levels of absurdity. You seem to have the ability to type endlessly without ever actually saying anything. Very strange. I think this whole topic is retarded, and I wish Windy Skies would stop with the whole “hidden topic” thing. If I check my email I get “one more message” that this absurd conversation continues - makes me want to throw my computer in the trash!

At the bottom of every topic, just above “Suggested Messages” there is a button. For this topic it probably for you says “Normal”, change it to “Muted” to stop getting notifications.

Thanks, Windy Skies. I realize I can turn it off. I supposed I probably should.
Meanwhile,
Why hide a topic? 12 years of listening to idiot-idiot-idiots promising to power the grid, a billion dollars wasted so far, and you still take this seriously? You might as well face the fact that this whole thing is mostly idiots, spewing complete idiocy, and you might as well let people see them being called out as what they are. Hiding won’t help. It is what it is. Airborne Wind Energy: A neodymium supermagnet for crackpots and, in many cases, the borderline or completely insane…

It is great. I have a more limited ambition: to produce electricity at W level (again) to serve my cat needs.

AWE is for fun. If you want efficiency while mitigating climate change, make nuclear plants.

I’d like to see Doug’s slightly ranty post reinstated here.
Did it break a rule?

I still think Dougs post was relevant to this topic.
It was a bit ranty.
And I disagree with most of it.
But it should remain here.
Only holding or presenting 1 side of an argument is hopless for progress.
Doug argued against the usefulness of the tech presented at the head of this topic.
Good on him. Keeps my giddy green overexcited tech-fan-boy in check.

1 Like

I largely agree. A reinstatement of @dougselsam’s post would allow to critic it then advance the debate!

It is a debate between different methods to achieve 3D.

Off-topic, for example, like your post above as well.

But the rules are only guidelines. Moderators can use their own judgement:

I agree with @Rodread. @dougselsam’s post is quite on topic and should be reinstated. Indeed New Hot Wire cutting tech topic is related to 3D, as for Doug’s post:

It is an interesting on-topic discussion between simulation and real world which escapes the sagacity of the moderators. After all @dougselsam invented and built several SuperTurbine ™ by using the 3D body method he describes. @Tom, @Windy_Skies, where are your prototypes, your experiments, whatever the 3D method used?

@Rodread’s comment is also on-topic as it refers to an on-topic post which was unfairly moved.

The topic is narrow enough so that the comment is off-topic to that. I guess I agree that is on-topic to a wider computer assisted manufacturing vs handmade discussion.

I’d be more sympathetic to that if it was put in its own topic and I hadn’t seen the same basic opinion a hundred or a thousand times before. And I’m not really interested in unsourced opinions. Make a case for your position, how is it saving you money, time, and so on by doing things like that?

1. Why is the topic hidden?
  2. How do you figure my opinion is “unsourced”?
  3. I have not expressed this opinion EVER, so WTF R U talking about?
  4. Speaking of “unsourced opinions”, who the heck R U anyway? Nobody knows. Everything YOU say is “unsourced opinions”.
  5. WTF is YOUR “position” on ANYTHING? What do YOU do in AWE? Where are YOUR projects? How are YOU making a case for saving anyone time, money, and so on?
  6. My advice is for people to stop taking group selfies as a substitute for powering homes, then giving up after wasting millions of dollars on empty talk, and to stop thinking that your only avenue of action is through your cel phone, “3-D printing”, etc. Try experiencing the real world. Stop thinking every new press-release is the answer to life. Learn to use a machine shop. Learn the basics of wind energy. Build things that work. Design things that last more than a few minutes. Stop trying to censor peoples’ opinions.

I’ve seen that advice of opinion, hyperbolically or not, hundreds or thousands of times from you. No one wants the same thing said to them hundreds of times. Talk about how you hand-make your blades or generators instead. Then you’d be giving info.

I don’t need to take a position on nature or applied science. It just is. My position is that I don’t know enough about it. I hope nuclear fusion becomes a reality in the coming decades with the increased private investment. I hope democracy improves. And so on.

Well I doubt if I have posted here “thousands of times” and if I had, I do not think I express the idea of getting more involved in the real world rather than our computers in most of my posts at all. Sure I note what I see as the silliness of the endless parade of group-selfies, only to see the companies fade away, but I don’t think I’ve mentioned avoiding the temptation of fixating on 3-D printing, for example, maybe EVER. Maybe once or twice at most. I’ve probably mentioned my belief that there are hundreds if not thousands of configurations that nobody has ever bothered to try, such as the highly-celebrated “laddermill” concept, less than 20 times. I can go out in my shop and build a complete working wind turbine that will run for years, including fabricating the generator, blades, and all components, right here. No computers required. I barely used even a paper and pencil to design my generators, and I can make them for any voltage, right here, using no computer. They look like they came from a factory and they run for years. A few phone calls located all the components. I learned to machine whatever I couldn’t buy. Using my own hands to operate the machine shop tools. Otherwise I’d have to pay some machine shop to do any trivial task. It would take longer than just doing it myself, plus cost too much.
Let me give you an example of “step away from the computer”: We’re in a rural area with a lot of open space. I had a friend who was getting frustrated looking on the internet for a source for plastic containers for growing trees and ornamental plants. I suggested he might go down the street to our local nursery that grows and sells plants of all types. Took him one minute to get there, and another minute to walk in and ask about pots, and the answer was “How many do you need and what size?” for like 20 cents each or some ridiculously low price. Turned out they had stacks and stacks of them and were happy to sell as many as he could ever need. Similarly when getting my manufacturing going, I found the internet mysteriously useless for finding local sources for any items or services. I found going around and talking to people who would steer you to the right sources was 10 times more effective and 10 times less frustrating than sitting there clicking away while getting nowhere. No I have not given all my secrets in online forums. I might be more likely too if I saw more fertile ground and felt like the forums treated people fairly. I guess the info I’m giving is just the encouragement that “Yes you CAN do things in the real world” but good advice is seen as a threat that must be eliminated by people who would like to continue sitting around doing nothing. Speaking of stepping away from the computer, I better do just that right now - seeya!
:slight_smile:

Hey lovely contributors!
It was I, who moved your post, @dougselsam. It was a general rant with hardly any relation to the topic of hot wire cutting.
@Windy_Skies has changed the topic and listed it again - this gives the post more visibility than it’s worth,(it’s linked in the original topic anyway) but I respect Windy’s decision.
Haven’t read the whole discussion here.
Cheers

Well thanks Luke for making the “new topic” of the “new topic” "visible.
Seems kind of crazy to me that anyone would spend a single minute of their time worrying about such things. One more example of the reason AWE seems to go nowhere: fixation on irrelevant trivia, such as… OMG hard to believe - worrying about whether some post is “on topic” creating new topics, moving posts to newly-created topics, etc. Geez what a waste of time, in my opinion. Really reminds me of the old forum with its constant censorship of any message or person posting, that didn’t “drink the Kool-Aid”.

Doug, thank @Windy_Skies!

Also I think there is few topics related to New Hot Wire cutting tech : I see CNC (and also manual) hot wire foam cutting, and before Sharp rotor mentioned a CNC cutting machine. Doug replied about 3D simulation tools. Perhaps gather topics related to 3D as few topics are concerned.

I would recommend applying that same brainpower and energy to finding a viable, reliable, economical AWE solution.

Like this? (:wink:)

Looks nice, sounds great, now let’s see where it leads. After 12 years of seeing one team after another come and go, well, you know the drill. The “initial hype” stage is usually just that. Then you have the “everything breaks” stage, the “this isn’t working well” stage, and finally the “this is getting to be a pain in the ass” stage, and the “this will never pencil out” stage. (Wait I forgot the “Notify Mom to check out your surefire-success company’s group selfie on the internet” stage)…
By the way, please do not get me wrong regarding using computers. They are a great tool, and of course have their many legitimate uses. I use mine a lot, but have found things often proceed faster without it.
My only point was not to get so involved in some virtual world that you start to think renderings and simulations are the only way to think, and that their results are always accurate or even representative of reality at all, or that 3-D printing is the only way to build anything, etc.
By the way, note to moderators - have you noticed we have another emerging tragedy in the making here - somehow, the ever-changing conversation has veered “off-topic” again! Oh, no! Now what are we gonna do? Nooooo! Helllllp! Ahhhhh!!! :slight_smile: