Random Engineering, Physics, ..., Concepts and Ideas

More cuttlefish footage

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Questions about Moderation

I recently wrote a blog post breaking down the airborne wind energy industry for the general public, just wondering if I missed anything or if I got anything wrong

1 Like

Welcome @daviddemeij,

In this blog, the benefits are discussed and the right questions are asked.

Maybe a specific topic would be better suited for the discussion, for example in Analysis category.

okay will make a topic, thanks!

A post was merged into an existing topic: blog post: The Future of Wind is Airborne

https://www.reddit.com/r/MachineLearning/comments/s01us1/r_sensing_depth_with_3d_computer_vision_link_to_a/

With feet and legs like a peregrine falcon, engineers have created a robot that can perch and carry objects like a bird.

A team of researchers at Stanford wondered: Does embodiment matter for the evolution of intelligence? And if so, how might computer scientists make use of embodiment to create smarter AIs? To answer these questions, they created a computer-simulated playground where arthropod-like agents dubbed “unimals” (short for “universal animals”) learn and are subjected to mutations and natural selection. Read the full story: How Bodies Get Smarts: Simulating the Evolution of Embodied Intelligence

A new multi-drone imaging system was put to the test in Antarctica. The task? Documenting a colony of roughly 1 million Adélie penguins. Read the story: Multi-drone system autonomously surveys penguin colonies | Stanford News

If your design doesn’t need really accurate wind direction data…
You’d expect an AWES to handle rough turbulent wind
Something like this 12deg accuracy homemade wind vane may suffice.

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Adding tether, and propeller motors as wind turbines/VTOL…

The impossible ski lift

1 Like

Samm Sheperd - Engineered Mini Flying Wing

Samm Sheperd - RC Electronics for Noobs

George Cayley - the British inventor of the aeroplane

Includes a method to test the efficiency of airfoils and a reconstruction of the Caley Glider.

Flite Test - Hot Wire Foam Cutting

TOP 10 STRANGEST RC Aircraft

I couldn’t find anything on the KA-100 by Grigol Kvaratskhelia from the above video.

1 Like

2021 Kitemakers Conference

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7sF6BqU6Yc2Zo8H2iZSgjQIAKObiHCxR

Branched scissors mechanism

Ooooh
Really want to test how torsionally rigid they are and how they can be enhanced dynamically with rubber bands.
There’s definitely an AWES somewhere which can use this

1 Like

Interesting video. As much as I made fun of the cuttlefish concept, the multi-wing ornithopter, looks pretty cool in operation. Might be useful for something. At least it seems a bit new and different.

#Gadgetbahns | The Sad History of Magnetic Levitation

Lecture 26, Feedback Example: The Inverted Pendulum | MIT RES.6.007 Signals and Systems, Spring 2011

I didnt submit any random engineering yet (i think) but this one i liked so much that I had to share:

https://moveparallel.com/

Why? By splitting trains into autonomous wagons, we gan get useful overnight travel that could be an attractive substitute for polluting airline travels. And, whithout the non negligible risk of autonomous cars never happening [me saying an autonomous camper car would also be a good substitute for airplane travel].

1 Like

Has been dunked on by Adam Something and he makes good points. So Someone Reinvented Trains (Again...) - YouTube

I think it would be more advantageous to have automatic docking and undocking of wagons / containers, preferably without stopping.

2 Likes

I agree to some extent. It does not make much sense to have each set of wheels have battery life for a long journey when a single locomotive is maybe a better solution. But if wagons could be quickly be reorganized one by one, I think that could be a winner for the one specific purpose I am suggesting; moving people from A to B while they are sleeping.

Freight trains carrying goods are less time sensitive, and it makes sense to unload goods at a large terminal rather than at the delivery address. The same is not true for passenger traffic. So it seems to me this idea is better suited for passenger traffic than freight traffic.

I think what is intrieguing me about this is that there does not seem to be really viable alternative to flights. Though if single car train travel was an option, it would work for many travels. It may even be the preferred option of travel. When you wake up at your destination, you can immediately start any activities such as meetings etc. With plane travel, you may in general arrive some time later in the day. You could even arrive in the morning, have a few meetings, a dinner, and then arrive at home by the next morning.

These rail cars would also allow a greater allowance for luggage.

If you were to make it a serious option, the cars would have to offer good privacy. Also to make things efficient, the weight and length of the car would have to be as small as possible. I recon a car of length 2.5 m could room two beds and not much more.

Sometimes I wonder if this tech doesn’t already exist… And if it does… Is it really a good idea?

24 posts were merged into an existing topic: Slow Chat