Random Engineering, Physics, ..., Concepts and Ideas

How to discharge a cloud before it comes over your kite field

OTV8 drone stabilisation concept

2 Likes

Here’s a video of wind power test clips over the last 10 years at Pacific Sky Power Clean Energy Projects at Pacific Sky Power - YouTube

1 Like

Adaptive Functional Structures inspired by Insect Wings | Talk

Natural world of insects

Best STOL Wing Design Ever?!?

1 Like

I tried to find the mentioned videos in reference [1] but couldn’t, apart from maybe this: cerf volant outdoor - YouTube

A mention of “whirling arm” in the paper, and a video of it: George Caley - The British inventor of the aeroplane, previously linked.

Here it is used to test a kite plane: TX-8.2 Flight - YouTube. And new videos from the same channel of a kite plane riding up and down a tether: WindiVator 1.0 - YouTube and a kite plane controlled by flight software: - YouTube

Related (control line flying; torqueless rotors): Random interesting links - #16 by Windy_Skies

1 Like

That SandyDoggy YouTube makes some brilliant experimental glider kites

Very interesting though that muzak is dreadful

Its Pablo Casals or like playing prelude from Bach´s Cello Suite No. 1

WindiVator is a classic old-school model-aviation (~80s) hacker. There does not seem to be too much novel in his tethered devices, given so much prior art, but a nice representative of tethered model glider tinkering.

Kite Messenger: “a kite (element) riding up and down a tether”

I’ve for the last few week been seeing references to sand batteries. now the bbc have waded in. It seems Finland is finding a use for these batteries. As energy storage is a topic most green engineers are interested in. i thought I share this one. Complementary systems will definitely be advantageous in the coming years. As heat is a primary loss in energy production. capturing the heat loss, to me would see like a good idea. May bump efficiency by a few points. As in many awes have systems that would benefit. I couldn’t help myself. Thought it rude not to share. So there we go sand batteries.

2 Likes

How we built the DarkAero 1 “impossibly” light…

DECLASSIFIED Hyper-STOL Transforming Wing - Patey Twin Slats - Fast and Slow | Scrappy #57

Carbon Fiber - 5 Things You (probably) DON’T Know: Carbon Fiber - 5 things you (probably) didn’t know - YouTube See also: Info on different methods for making rigid propellers, wind turbine blades, wings and similar - #11 by Windy_Skies

https://www.reddit.com/r/AerospaceEngineering/comments/w2b7ue/my_team_won_an_interuniversity_uav_competition/

Using a CNC Router to Machine Aerospace Grade Mold Patterns (part 2)

Most complicated CARBON FIBER part in the DarkAero 1!

https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlysatisfying/comments/w3hju1/this_corner_folding_device/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalEngineering/comments/w2lids/what_are_the_benefits_of_this_gear_and_tooth/

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Spinning Drone Paradox

I’m going to leave this here just a little something I’m working towards.
It’s a little rough around the edge need a little more work. Off to a good start though. It’s stainless steel. made with three tools. As that what I had to hand. It a follow up on a few idea and concept. Its totally a diy special. Can be made in 3hr without punching the steel. It took me an 1hr 1/2 to get this far. I was looking for feedback? Essential it a co-flow component. Made from a 50kg shelf unit parts. Essential each shelf was about £2. When I got it! I’m looking to nest it in several layers that wrap around to for multiple layers co-flow. Not bad for b&q. Realised that body fabricator, would easily knock something like this up. With a better tooling selection. Even mass produced in a stamping press aimed at punching louvres. Much like the car manufacturers. It looks like an equal sign to me. When marked out. This is about stage 2 in production steps. Just need to repeat the louvre. That faces the other. to complete intakes and exhausts. Essential 2 shelf sandwiched together. I doubt it cost me more than £20 to get this far. So here we go!

Basic steps cut a slot, form Louvres. Can’t be any simpler. I am looking to use edge gaskets. Maybe have 3D edge profile printed. Effectively making a lenticular wing profile. The deck will need some work to ensure it rigidity. simple ribs or even stay bolts to hold it together?
Even a a scratch built project I don’t think I got off to a bad start?
The magic of aerodynamic. So still a few decisions to make. But it what I’ve got to hand. With the skills i’ve got at my disposal. So rudimentary and simple it can’t be missed.

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Slow Chat

The above split is a discussion about a concept for a submarine and a discussion about wave energy. This is not a discussion topic so I’ve moved the comments. If you would like to discuss a concept linked here, please do so in another topic. If you like you can then link to the comment here from your new comment. That way a link to your new comment shows up below the comment you linked to here, like below this one where it says Slow Chat.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Slow Chat

A post was merged into an existing topic: All about fabrics

Tim Hunkin added new episodes to his The Secret Life of components playlist:

1 Like

Seen this before. This is a great series, fun and informati8ve, worth watching. :slight_smile: