Slow Chat II

Looks like my favorite tidal and ocean current power device, Orbital Marine, is starting to catch on!

I wish I had been able to invest in this simple concept. Oh well. Simple ideas are best, because no matter how simple it is, you will still have unforeseen problems, so if it is complicated to start with, which is even worse with regard to unforeseen problems, chances of success are greatly diminished!

Here’s a funny thing. Just as you can see how stupid “A.I.” is when you realize it is narrating and mispronouncing simple words, and especially numbers, in most Youtube videos lately, you can also see that most human “science” “journalists” are still mixing up terms like MegaWatts, and kiloWatts, mWh, kWh, etc. and don’t really understand what these terms mean.

Example from the article:

" A single O2 unit with two turbines can generate close to 2 megawatts and supply power to over 2,000 UK households annually."

“Annually”??? Why do they always have to say that? It’s like a journalistic disease!
Power these homes “annually” - like once per year? No, of course they "think) they mean, for the duration of a year. Or do they even think that far at all? So then what happens when the year is up? The turbine stops working? They can’t power the same two-thousand homes for a week, or a month, only for a year? Not two years?

The “journalists” seldom seem to understand that the word “power” already contains “per unit time”.

Anyway, I guess you have to understand this stuff to see the humor, but it just goes to show you how easily “press-release breakthroughs” get endlessly promoted, without much real scrutiny, because most people, including the people writing these articles, would not know what to scrutinize anyway!

But it gets worse!!!
(Notice they did not say “power” over 2000 homes", but “supply power to” over 2000 homes. (You could also say “supply power to” a million homes - at 2 Watts each!)

Anyway, “2000 homes” is probably a wrong or misleading representation. If the O2 apparatus has a peak power of under 2 MW, that would mean its average output, considering tidal surges and stoppages (intermittency) would reduce the average power (energy per unit time) to less than 1 MW. If that is the case, you would have an average of less than 500 Watts per house. I don’t think less than 500 Watts is enough to power the average house, do you?) :slight_smile: