Slow Chat

OK , besides looking almost identical to my offshore SuperTurbine™ floating offshore designs, and using my patented Spar-buoy floating foundation, this “story” repeats the typical vertical-axis fan-boy talking points.
Of course they have to say: “Doesn’t need to aim”, and how about this passage that reduces from a logical argument to outright name-calling:

“Today’s fan-on-a-stick offshore wind turbines, according to these innovators, are built around on-shore designs and land-based thinking that will simply never work cost-effectively out in the deep ocean. There’s a massive opportunity here for fundamentally different designs to disrupt a rather sick-looking industry, deliver vastly cheaper energy from offshore wind farms, and by doing so, make a huge contribution to the clean energy revolution.”

So they think calling wind turbines a derogatory “fan-on-a-stick” will make their system that uses more material to produce less power better? Funny.
:slight_smile:

It is obvious to even a child that their design uses at least 4 times the blade material to sweep the same area as a “fan-on-a-stick”
All they need is one set of their “struts”, aimed at the wind, to sweep the same area as 2 sets of struts and a fat set of blades oriented against centrifugal force, which requires more strength = more material = more weight = more cost…

2 Likes

Anyone care to predict whether this press-release concept will ever actually be built? If so, maybe they could use some AWE!

The Air Canada “news” headline says they bought 30 planes.
Then when you read it, it says they agreed to purchase 30 planes in the future, and bought a $5 million dollar stake in the supposed producer of the alleged aircraft.

As you read on, it starts saying the airplane “will” be able to fit 30 passengers - but that is only for very short hops where it doesn’t need its onboard “generator supplemented power”.
And it looks like none of this “will” happen until 2028 - six (6) years in the future.

We have to be very careful reading these “news of the future” promotional press-release articles.
Think of the Makani “news” of the past, saying how many hundred homes they “would” power in Hawaii by date Z. Did any of it come true?

Well, experience says this is similarly unlikely to happen as outlined.
From what I’m seeing, it looks like this is a fictitious airplane that does not even exist, that what we’re seeing are renderings only, and, depending on this company’s progress with what is just a concept, not to mention surrounding events around the entire world, and even the weather itself, this “story” is likely to completely change, or simply become one more wish that never happened, within the six year timeframe. Let’s remain optimistic, but let’s not be gullible. Have we seen this movie before?:slight_smile:

For alittle while I’ve been looking into means to support myself in the years to come. Thought I note worthy to mention a few things going on in the winder world I’ve encountered I know have some value. As many of the engineers are looking for easy ways to fund their project. One potential option is homegrown gems and semiprecious stones.

Because I YouTube a lot you get to learn a few things. Artificial rubies, jade and many others. With the advent of carbon capture this it may incentivise the process? Everyones favourite

Then it struck me that one of the potential minerals is nephrite. Aka jade.

Jade price per kg current sits at $25,000 – 5,000,000per kg but it can be more dependent on source.
With that in mind it reminds me of another video I watched

The content creator end up making artificial rubies. As far as I know rubies go for a pretty penny these days at least $1,000 per carat obviously the various minerals composites will create different gems with various markets values.

There are also alternative use in the construction industry opening the door to less environmentally damaging ways to create stone. Ever since Iceland

I knew something was coming over the horizon that would shake up the industry. Altogether means an industry that can effectively be carbon negative. Like they say? brick by brick! Hour by hour! Futures are born!

If, the current level of development continue? It might be plausible to say at some point in the not too distant future? humanity will offset its carbon output! I’m fascinated by the idea of jade towers. I can see why the Chinese love the stuff. Why it was so important to them? in many of the Ancient ruling dynasties. It could tempt the Chinese to invest heavy in the technology? To offset there pollution are revitalise their economy. a stable China means a stable world. Lest want or need for them expansion into other avenues. Which open up trade opportunities fro the rest of the world. India and China are among the fastest growing economies in the world. Even with the slowdown Chinese interest still out compete many of their over seas rivals. I can’t say how much a change in funding will help most ordinary people and their companies? I do know one thing, a self sustaining economy it better than one solely based on debt!

2 Likes

More hand-waving and happy-talk. What I’d like to know are details of how these systems that have been supposedly “sold” and which may be actually “operating” are actually working out - as usual… :slight_smile:
This is starting to remind me of all these electric air taxi projects, including

Joby (early AWE player pivoted to air mobility)

and also

Vertical Aerospace Vertical Aerospace begins eVTOL flight tests, with a pilot on board

as just two examples. We must see a new air taxi project every week - just never a finished product or system in operation. All news remains perpetually “in the future” (echo… echo… echo…) :slight_smile:

Hi Doug: I’m not sure if you have looked at the content of the image, or what you should see (IMHO). If you do, you may see that there is likely no:

Hi Pierre: I’m not quite understanding your message.
I did look at the image - what’s to see?
Also, on Linked-in, I saw this:

Thu, Sep 29, 2022, 6:00 AM - 6:30 AM (your local time)

Hamburg Messe und Congress GmbH, Messeplatz 1, Hamburg, DE, 20357

WindEnergy 2022, SkySails booth B6.202

• Attendee profile images

Roderick Read and 8 other attendees

Indeed, everything is in the image. But that’s my opinion and I don’t think it’s shared in AWE circles. And yet, it is obvious. It’s up to you to find out what I think, or dare I say, what you should think.

Just as in any Energy Project, Site Assessment is a vital project requirement. Addressing Site Assessment for AirborneWindEnergy Systems, therefore, shows serious efforts towards some project implementation, at least in terms of feasibility at a given location.
@dougselsam comments to me seem rather off-topic and this calls to question the rationale for ‘all questions to be addressed by the author’ as demanded by forum rules. Some comments are simply out to denigrate the author and derail the topic, such really need no bother, IMHO.

1 Like

Hi Pierre: Experience says your concern would be with spacing.

2 Likes

Once again I check my email, see I have some message here, so I click on the link to this site and the first thing I see is "topic closed, moved to “slow chat” - as usual. So I click on that “slow chat” link and find myself clicking maybe 50 times to get up to the present message on Slow Chat. I’m supposed to reply to John, but he doesn’t have much to say. All I have to offer is 30 years of fielding questions and aimless accusations from people who say they are developing new wind energy systems, but who are not now, never have, and never will… :slight_smile:

I’m really tired of these ever-shifting “topics”. I see a message and the topic has changed before I can even finish replying, then the system interrupts me so I end up rewriting the whole reply and now I don;t even know where it is or how it git here or anything. This whole thing is getting to be more and more of a complete waste of time and energy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/xtb6bb/eli5_what_is_it_about_wood_glue_that_makes_wood/

Wind Energy Industry facing layoffs:

It is worrying that the wind energy is performing layoffs when we have global warming as a slow trend and an imminent energy crisis ongoing in Europe… should have thought wind was booming now

Hi everyone: I just ran across this TRL readiness comparison of EVTOL flying electric “cars” - a similar comparison might be made for AWE systems. At the top of their list is JOBY, a former AWE company who quit AWE almost immediately after starting in about 2008:
LINK:

1 Like

“TRL readiness”?
As you put it… Is that getting ready to be ready?
Or something like technology redundancy level readiness?

Hi Rod: Yes I knew that was redundant when I wrote it. Yup I guess it’s “getting ready to get ready”. I remember when what’s-his-name from the previous forum went thru periods of fixation on the term TRL. Trying to think - what were the “TRL” of Makani and Altaeros? I was never a big fan of such analyses, given how often they turn out to be meaningless. But it sounded so similar to AWE in the sense of the number of entrants and competitors, and the task of trying to make any sense out of all their favorable press-release-type info versus whatever reality lurks beneath the surface, I figured I’d throw it on the fire over here. I’m not ready to give an opinion on the likelihood of success for any of these EVTOL projects, but I’d be hesitant to climb on board for a ride, given the possibility of just falling out of the sky, depending… . :slight_smile:

1 Like