Airborne
Energy
Induced
Orbital
Utility

1 Like

You nailed it!!!

1 Like

Would the cute name acronym Gloria be better for a Daisy kite?
GLORIA for
Generating Lines Orbital Rotation Induction Aircraft
Or is there a more appropriate acronym which fits Daisy?
Dynamic Airborne Induced Spin Yachting

1 Like

US FAA coined “AWES” as its acronym for our platforms, since “AWE” was already taken. Many of us therefore use the term. Joe and I seem to be the ones who first coined and popularized “AWE” usage, after Moritz had used the expanded term at an early conference.

Loyd told me around 2014 that he regretted not taking more care in naming AWES architectures because he did not imagine his paper would become so influential. To clear up confusion, some of us tend to refer to his “drag” case as “turbine-on-a-wing”, and his specific “lift” case as “reeling-downwind”. Loyd cites Payne as his inspiration, and only omitted Payne’s crosswind spread anchor AWES concept simply because he did not see a ready mathematical shortcut to his goal of kitepower analyzed formally/abstractly. He was rather surprised when Makani adopted his simplified flygen “drag” model as their down-select in 2009.

Here’s Joe’s vast AWE Glossary, starting at “A”, with virtually all AWE terms ever used-

http://www.energykitesystems.net/0/KITESA/FAQelectric/glossary/a.html

1 Like

What are those?

1 Like

I used it because it was in the thread title. I think they are plane-kites. Ie a rigid kite, perhaps looking like a plane

Haha that’s my try at wordsmithing.
I suggest it as a word for planes that can work as kites or kites that can fly without a tensioned tether, usually rigid.

2 Likes

Kite-plane (kiteplane?) has been used previously… But I don’t even know how to use an ’ correctly so…