Underwater Kites (Paravanes)

This Wikipedia page was started by Joe. A quick Google Scholar search for “paravane” in no way suggests they are referred to as “underwater kites.”

So calling a paravane an underwater kite is original research, which has no place on Wikipedia.

The article is also extremely poorly referenced. I has 4 references.

Pioneer parafoil developer Domina Jalbert considered water kites hardly different from air kites.[1]

This first reference links back to a blog post:

With little more than a few words of formalities—he must have sized me up in an instant, knowing I would be up for novelty, out of the ordinary run of things—Jalbert leaned forward closer to my head, looking over his shoulder to see if anyone was listening in, and said in one long breath in a kind of conspiratorial whisper, “A kite in the water’s currents behaves just the same as it does in the atmosphere’s air currents. A waterkite powering boats in the Gulf Stream from the Gulf of Mexico north up along the East Coast to the Grand Banks of Newfoundland, how about that? An airfoil bridled to rise and fall in a spiraling path. Perpetual motion?” He concluded with a wink, looking around again to see if anyone had overheard.

1 Like