Underwater Kites (Paravanes)

It could fit the definition of an energy kite system, an AWES, a paravane that has parts deflecting the air media besides the water media. Fine tune or down select resultants by carefully designing the hull and sail and control parts and do various good works with the machine, perhaps generating electricity. Left-right cycles with PTOs could generate airtricity and hydro-electricity, thus kitricity. Similarly for anchored freighter ships! And look for even larger hulls dedicated to energy generation anchored to seabeds! Tap the ocean currents with such devices. Minesto is part of a potentially huge family of AWES using the seas. Think GW units! A moored platform might feature all the following: hydroelectric generation, air-kite airtricity generation, towered turbine electric generation, PV, production of hydrogen or other chemicals.
Powership - Wikipedia article one day may note moored huge platforms tapping the large ocean currents.

Wing breaks away:

Joe, your penchant for defining virtually any word to mean anything you’d like it to mean, depending on your whim, is part of what I’ve seen as an often nonsensical approach to energy, or, as you often say “good works”. The only thing is, where are these “good works”? Are we going to have a moored ship blowing around to deliver the mail? Maybe clean your room? Wash the dishes? Mow the lawn? Smash into other ships? Fight for civil rights? Collect overdue library books? Cook a batch of chili? Clean the chalkboard? Do they still have chalkboards or did they figure out the dust causes cancer? How primitive: using one rock to scrawl on another rock. Stone age. Amazing to realize our main visual display during childhood learning was live cave-man rock art.
I’m still on record as saying Minesto will never work out, based on nothing more than you and self-described “domain expert” Santos promoting it as promising because the designers worked on jet fighters for Saab. Typical impressive credentials that go nowhere in open-flow energy. So far they still haven’t put any power to the grid after all these years. Oh well that’s good in the sense it leaves the field wide open for the rest of us. I recently ran across a patent for hydrokinetic generators from 1989 that looked like a good idea: U.S. Patent 4,864,152 Hans Pedersen, Denmark. Simple is good. :slight_smile:

US - DOE announces $35 million for hydrokinetic turbine development

SRI International – MANTA: Reliable and Safe Kite Energy System ($4,202,231)

See

New analysis of an instream kite power system based on carousel configuration coming from Edinburgh University.

Thanks to Kristin for letting me share this here.
tidal carousel kite tesis.pdf (5.3 MB)

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Minesto Underwater AWE News