Wind Fisher

I tried to understand how it was possible to ensure the rotation of the cylinder, the variation in the length of the cables according to the power and retrieval phases, as well as the generator function. To do this, I used the photo, the poster, the video and the patent FR3123317A1.

From the poster:

The system includes the following elements :
• The Magnus effect kite.
• The two winches of the ground station.
• The two motors of the ground station.
• The two gear reducers placed between the winches and the motors.
• The cable, wrapped around the kite and the two winches.

The solution found amazed me for its economy of means. For each of the two cables, the two winches of the ground station make it possible to turn the cylinder in one direction (winding on one winch and unwinding on the other) and then the opposite direction (the reverse), and in the same time to vary the length of the cables (use of wind power and lift during the generation phase (motors as generators) to unwind the winches, a side faster than the other to keep the rotation; then use of the motors during the retrieval phase to wind the winches ?).The two motors of the ground station drive their respective winches via gears. As well as ensuring rotation by alternating the direction of rotation, and the power and retrieval phases, they also work as generators. Please @WindFisher, correct me if I am wrong or not precise enough.

Garrett’s explains are clearer on the following video, at 17: 56:

1 Like