Wind Fisher

Kiwee uses a continuous rope drive transmission, as for Magnus balloon with motorized belts (but where the motors are aloft, allowing the single tether to make the reeling-out/in alternate power and recovery phases).

Wind Fisher rather uses a transmission with two winches settled in the ground station. As a result the amount of rotation in the same direction is limited by the length of the cable, that is not a problem since in reeling operation, the winches are alternately winding and unwinding to supply reel-out and reel-in phases.

I asked myself the same question, and couldn’t find an answer.
Let us take an example during reel-out power phase (the kite pulls on the winches as it moves away): wind speed 10 m/s, reel-out speed 5 m/s, spin ratio (tangential speed / wind speed) only 1; that means that the two winches are unwound at 5 m/s while an additional unwinding of 10 m/s of one of the two winches occurs, leading to an unwinding of 15 m/s; but in the same time the other winch should be winding the same cable at 10 m/s while it is unwound at 5 m/s. It doesn’t seem possible, or have I forgotten something?

1 Like