Yahoo group moving

Wow. I agree great job in making this publicly available!

1 Like

Thanks to JoeF for that and I hope my posts are still there because what I remember is you two going thru the message and deleting a lot of what I had said due to your lack of understanding, ten you said you had not deleted my posts, but then again you were both in denial that the search function was not working properly for years. Sorry to say, as much as I appreciate your both having at lest tried to have an “open forum” I would have to honestly say you have both damaged your own credibility beyond repair for me, and I really do not believe much of what either of you say about pretty much anything at this point.
Speaking of your combined veracity,

1. How is Minesto doing these days guys? I read they are (still) almost ready to try running their system! Weren’t they supposed to have been running and selling multiple running systems, in multiple locations by now?
  2. When is Jesus going to solve AWE? Or is that project cancelled?
  3. When will Santos add that generator to his rope-burning crosswind power-kite-with-pulleys configuration?
  4. Dare I mention “the concert that never happened”?
    On and on and on, with the endless false statements from you two…

Actually, I heard about minesto 1 month ago. They will be testing their prototype on the French coast soon. I forgot the exact place but it is within a partnership with seeneoh. Seeneoh is a tidal test site in Bordeaux and they will open a new offshore test site soon. Minesto will be their first client

1 Like

In my opinion, your typical prototypes are not sufficiently well-executed to confirm or deny any particular configuration. Your approach is sloppy and incomplete. Do you actually believe nobody can get a laddermill to run?

Doug,

Your posts are well preserved for all time. You can’t expect your accusations to mean much if the original quotes as you recall them do not exist.

For example, a lot was shared about Minesto on the Forum, but where did we ever write anything like you claim to recall? Minesto is fact thriving, setting up a historic paravane farm with massive funding. Saab hit all its targets.

AWE is doing very well. You can’t credibly claim Wayne German’s Jesus has failed us.

What “rope burning” case? We burn rope in AWE all the time.

AWEfest? Hell yes we have truly rocked with kite power, if only to small audiences. Jimi did not play to all Woodstock. AWEfest was Wubbo’s idea, before he died, and its up to us to not give up. AWEstock is coming, be patient.

Wubbo Lives!

Very nice. My own identical backup goes until message2416 or 2018-11-14.

Doug,

Regarding the LadderMill prototypes; they do show how its doable by anyone, but there are problems, like helical twist.

Wubbo taught that we can do AWE anyway we intend, as engineers. If anyone wants, they can build your or Wubbo’s variants. You can quote that.

“Sloppy and incomplete” (“quick and dirty”) is essential at first. Just watch the next ten years, and you will see how AWES naturally become refined. The kiteboard EV is not sloppy, but elegant. Its NPW has as much R&D as Makani’s M600, its e-board is top-of-its-class, and the rigging design is clean.

All this would not be so far along without the Forum. Congratulations for any practical contribution you added.

You two spent a decade demanding exact quotes like you are again now, while denying that the search function was nonfunctional. You continue to dodge the very issues you start, with your typical changing of the subject, refusal to directly address questions, pretending you had not said what you did just say (your recently-stated rope-melting or burning of your supposed highly-promising crosswind power-kite-with-pulleys configuration) and true to form you would like to pretend you never said it now since you realize you will never connect a generator to anything because you don;t really have the stick-to-it-ive-ness to complete anything you say you will. Then you end with your typical throwing around slogans and general disrespect of the dead, using up one more of your nine-lives of credibility, taking the opportunity to end your post with one more provably false statement, the temptation of which you are powerless resist.

Doug, True, Yahoo Groups Search was crappy, and got worse, but most of us never depended on it, we simply searched our own mail accounts. You have never once presented an exact quote that justifies histrionics. When fairly shown in error, we will thank you for the correction.

Now that JoeF has newly archived all the posts online, you got a second shot at finding a quote to substantiate a complaint. Just use a standard Search Engine of your choice, domain keywords, and some bit of email-header string, like your user address, to narrow the search.

You are just plain dishonest, and your endless attempts to negate, avoid, dodge, and deny, your previous false statements is sad to see. Everyone knows there are people so hopelessly unworkable as to be impossible to interact with. I’d recommend you go to Snapchat where your words will disappear, so you can stop challenging people to waste their time going through archives to “prove” whatever you falsely said yesterday and want to avoid today.

Again, which false statements? Quote fairly.

I have spent years documenting your endless, repeated, false statements.
I think I just listed four (4), which is a tip-of-the-iceberg of thousands. It’s basically all you do. You are unworkable, and I refuse to waste the rest of my life humoring your endless lies. Gotta go.

You are using a computer. Find a real quote, if it exists.

So let me get this straight: Are YOU telling US you did NOT recently tell us you had built a new crosswind kite system using two pulleys that you claimed was so promising, due to the speed it pulled a rope being so high that a rope was melted or burned, and that you intended to slow that speed down by adding a generator, and that you would get back to us soon with the results? Are you now denying you told us that?

No Doug, I’m NOT saying that. I just don’t know what message you are talking about. Sure, there are bits and pieces you are able to recall that I generally agree with, but the original message is needed to properly assess your condemnation. All these years, and you got no accurate quote, ever, to make your case?

Was it something about burning my fingers a bit recently? I’ve melted and burned kite line so many times. Its common in rope-work, from ranching to sailing. If you are not experiencing line friction, you’re not flying kites much.

Last call:

Dear Group Moderators and Members,

Last month we notified you of the changes coming to Yahoo Groups that better align with user habits, and today we are providing an update to guide you through the next steps of the transition. Yahoo Groups is not going away - but we are making adjustments to ultimately serve you better. We are amazed at the vibrant community you’ve created through Yahoo Groups and we want to make sure you feel supported as we introduce these changes.

The following changes were made since our last communication:

• Users can now only join a Yahoo Group through an invite or group request approval by the Group Moderator.
• New Groups can’t be public. They can only be private (not listed in Groups directory, membership by invitation only) or restricted (listed in Groups directory, membership requests must be approved by a Group Moderator).
• Members must share all content via email, and can no longer upload or host new content on the Yahoo Groups website itself.

The following changes will be made on December 14, 2019:

• Public groups will no longer exist. All existing public Groups will become restricted Groups that require Group Moderator approval to join.
• Any content that was previously uploaded via the website will be removed.

If you would like to keep any of the content you’ve posted or stored within your Yahoo Group, please download it by December 14 by accessing the Groups Download Manager at this link. Once you provide your preferred email address, we will send you a confirmation of your download request and notify you once the download is complete.

You will receive a link to a downloadable zip file via email for each of your Groups organized into a separate folder. Download time varies depending on the amount of information and file size.

If your download request is made by 11:59pm PST on Saturday, December 14, 2019, your content will not be deleted until your download is complete. We are unable to accommodate any download requests made after this deadline.

This is the final reminder to download your content. You can find additional information about the upcoming changes here.

We have worked extensively with our customer support team to develop recommendations for tools that can help you with any download issues. See help article here.

We have watched the evolution of Yahoo Groups with awe, as we grew to a community of millions with over 10 million Groups. Every day, we witness the power of community and shared passions, and our mission is to provide a platform for the strong connections people make with each other around their interests.

We thank you for being part of the Yahoo Groups community and look forward to continuing to provide ways for you to connect with one another about your shared interests and passions.

Sincerely,
The Groups Team

Looks like the Old Forum is now well backed-up in JoeF’s archives and other places. There really won’t be much change from the current slow phase-out. Both Old and New Forums have been bumpy rides at times, but the value of best shared knowledge will endure. JoeF will continue to accept items sent to him, as the cumulative number of posts nears 30k. We will continue to honor requests for old items as best we can, and the Wayback Machine will also preserve almost everything. The hidden mountain of discussion and references will long continue to surprise and inform AWE scholars and newcomers.

I wonder why Yahoo is doing this to their forums?
(And why the search function didn’t work well.)
I think I read they will be deleting all existing uploaded content very soon.
The deletion of knowledge, communication, and learning, not to mention fun.
Maybe they found out people were learning too much. Bad, bad, bad.
Oh well, “progress…”
The world marches on I guess…

The Yahoo forum was a poor implementation “back in the days” when it was launched. The defunct Yahoo organization was not able to improve on it much. Software is hard. At this point, I guess they just don’t want to pay server time to keep it online. I would be surprised if there is any profit in this business.

This is a valuable lesson for this forum - we should make sure the ownership is sound and sustainable. We should not be dependent on the goodwill of a single person. Right now I have the highest trust in @Tom so this is not a problem. Long term, we should establish a fund to keep this forum online for as long as the discussions are relevant… AND make sure the discussions remain publicly available.

In the end, we are most likely always going to depend on some few people’s effort. But the monetary side could be more of a community effort.

1 Like

The traceable legacy part of the forum will likely become ever more important to each of the members … as we will all want to say… on the old awesystems.info forum it was amazing and had everything. And we’ll want to link to it… or a backed up copy…
Can we have one now? Do you share them @Tom?