9th international Airborne Wind Energy Conference (AWEC 2021)

The 9th international Airborne Wind Energy Conference (AWEC 2021) will be hosted in Milan, Italy, from 1-3 September 2021. The call for abstracts is open, with a submission deadline of 2 April 2021. In addition, we are inviting participation in a photo competition by which we want to select the cover photo of the book of abstracts.

2 Likes

Always upsetting to see the parallel talks I’m going to miss despite being in a next door room… Aaarrrgggghhhh

Last time, AWEC2019, several recordings of talks were not published. The videos exist. I managed to see some.
There’s an unanswered question in a thread on this forum… Where, when are those recordings to be published?

Do we have any reassurance on the quality of recordings this time?

1 Like

Can we have recording the next week? I may be spoiled with experiences mostly from programming conferences

1 Like

The Book of abstracts is available on
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/361517732_The_International_Airborne_Wind_Energy_Conference_2021_Book_of_Abstracts

Among many interesting things, page 28: Shapewave: True 3D HD Webbing Inflatable Structures, author Rudo Enserink. See also in the program.

2 Likes

The physical sample of the Webbing Inflatable Structure wing which Rudo brought along was nicely rigid. (but did occasionally need a top up of air) We discussed how sections could be jointed with chord webs to allow bridling to be passed through from bottom to top surfaces.
Page 104 - oh come on TU Delft that’s not a realistic inflated kite section you’ve just drawn another phallus like the last book of abstracts… we know what’s going on there… stop it. quite funny though

Do you have any more info on this @rschmehl?

2 Likes

Great to read some insider reporting from AWEC2021 describing AWES as low-tech.

That’s refreshing

Highlights from the 2021 Airborne Wind Energy Conference | BlueWise Marine

2 Likes

Sounds redundant to me - always talking about “developing a test site”. If anyone had a decent rig capable of normal operation, it would be installed somewhere, and running. Then when there IS a “test site” developed, we hear about how no flying is not allowed there most of the time, etc. Sounds like a lot of AWE people are “stuck in the mud” in “excuse-land”. There are plenty of reasonably remote locations in the world where people could use some extra electricity.

1 Like

From the quoted article:

AWE technology’s overall higher community acceptance compared to conventional wind renewable energy is noteworthy, however a greater emphasis on ecology and social research going forward is needed.

When this is done, we can expect resounding success…

@rschmehl
I’ve been asked by a research group to provide comment and oversight on Airborne Wind Energy.
Not sure I’m qualified at the moment. Don’t want to be biased but… I’ve not seen half of the conference yet…
Any updates on when the videos of the presentations will be published?

Hi Roddy: Would that be Dr. Peter Harrop’s group by any chance?