Adding tether, and propeller motors as wind turbines/VTOL…

Adding tether, and propeller motors as wind turbines/VTOL…

1 Like

If this can take off vertically with the stated payload, why does it need wings?
If it needs wings maybe it can only take off vertically if it is NOT carrying its stated payload?
So with the stated payload it requires a runway?
Seems like they might have a two-seater right now, and the larger ones are goals at this point? The guy says it can carry up to a ton, so it would be useful for carrying shipping containers from ports… only thing is, shipping containers weigh 4 tons… Oh wait - it can do wifi! Where have we heard that before? OMG.
Looks very interesting, but more details would be helpful to determine what might be compelling in this design. One might say it is either a heavier-than-necessary blimp, or an airplane with excessive drag. Looks cool, but, what are its true strong points, if any?

Take off by using directional propellers (on the site click on photos, then see photos 2 and 3)

Some other information:

An extract:

The Plimp is described as a plummet-proof aircraft with the lift of a plane, the control of a helicopter and the buoyancy of a blimp.

A prototype of the Plimp was launched last year. Now, Egan Airships is taking pre-orders for its eight-passenger Model J to crowdfund manufacturing, development and production.

A spokesperson for Egan Airships told FINN: “With 14 patents, Plimp is a new class of airship, with a proprietary combination of helium and dynamic rotary wings, enabling it to hover, dip, ascend, bank or spin. If engines are turned off it will float gently to the ground. With its vertical take-off and landing, it can lift off or land just about anywhere.”

https://voliris.com/flying-container-project/

I would be concerned with wind for such slow flying aircraft. I dont see why you wouldnt just do this better with a carbon fiber construction that could fly much faster. It also occurs to me that in terms of handling overhead and HSE, a self driving truck or a train is probably a better choice.

Still, the idea is interesting enough for places with prevailing low winds. They have my curiosity, but will not have my money…

This requires infrastructure, including roads which are not available everywhere.

Regarding the Voliris design as AWES I think it is interesting. I will try to detail the many reasons in a specialized topic.

As this is somewhat of a duplicate topic, I will close and hide this one.