Airloom Energy

Hi Doug: everything you say about this device is true, and I noticed that it was a kind of VAWT with peripheral power take-off, so a sort of rim-driven VAWT.

My previous comment (“there is no home”) was a bit ironic.

Wouldn’t you agree to waste time on something that could work, if it exists?

Hello Pierre:
I agree with your description, above.
Sorry, but I don’t quite understand the meaning of the next two sentences about “no home” being “ironic”, nor about agreeing to waste time. Maybe you could clarify? :slight_smile:

Hi Doug:
Sentence 1. It’s a joke. I reverse the effectiveness of the proof of non-functioning between “prototype” and “home”. I suggest that the prototype does not work not because it is not functional, but because there is no home in the photo as far as we see. The lack of home is of course a false reason.

Sentence 2. There is no need to dwell too much on this device. We can waste our time on more plausible projects, even if the chances of success remain slim compared to the iconic three-bladed wind turbine

I think there might be some version that could work, maybe something somewhat similar, I mean, you never know, but it doesn’t seem to me that this group is hitting the mark. I saw 12 towers and 18 blades long enough to be rotors. So let’s take an average of 15 turbines with 8-foot diameter rotors, using the same materials. That should be able to produce over 10 kW. Not sure if theirs is better than that. Not from what the video shows. Why not just say they will make smaller wind turbines with guy wires as opposed to the giant turbines on freestanding tubular towers, that are breaking down? It’s always the same with these guys: showing why the big turbines are “bad”, implying that saying their solution would be built at a smaller scale is the answer, without answering why not just use smaller turbines, or why theirs can’t be built at a larger scale. Reminds me of Dabiri. These people are all the same! :slight_smile:

I was thinking it could make more sense also to let the blades roll from inside to the outside in a long installation like this to allow for a camber on the wings. More like micro tether AWE on a long track. I guess then the step to putting the track on ground would be small as well. Then we are looking at some other concepts we have seen before :stuck_out_tongue:

I think comparing to Darreius is a little off though, because the whole point seems to be having the loop enlonged in one direction, presumably perpendicular to prevailing winds

No, it’s exactly a stretched out Darrieus, as I said. And it’s also a ground-constrained version of my original AWE invention recorded in 1978, a series of airfoils attached at intervals along a continuous loop, later called “laddermill”.

Se also @Massimo 's comment:

le pale che airloom espone devono correre a circa 80m/s per essere efficaci, come il tip delle pale delle turbine eoliche.
Non mi è chiaro perchè ci si entusiasma solo di contraffattori e concetti triti e ritriti e raramente viene riconosciuta la vera innovazione

Translation:

the blades that airloom exhibits must run at around 80m/s to be effective, like the tip of a wind turbine blade.
It is not clear to me why we only get excited about counterfeits and trite concepts and seldom recognise true innovation

This argument can be compared to that of @dougselsam :

That says it all.

Utility-Scale Wind Power at Extremely Low Cost - Video Portal - Naval Postgraduate School

It loaded fine for me and it was okay enough to watch. Some questionable statements and timelines, and some new perspectives.

I’m still not following why using small generators is bad.

That is a pretty basic observation. Do they say what speed they are targeting?

I watched the video.

They are either onto something exceptional or they have no clue what they are talking about. As a data point related to that add that they didnt hire their senior engineering staff yet and are producing a 1 MW unit in 2024. Soo… this is pretty exciting stuff I guess… makes us at Kitemill look bad for spending 15 years to still be working on a 20 kW unit. Anyways. I still think Kitemill is slightly ahead in terms of undistorted reality and being closer to a profitable business. I’ll be getting ready to eat my hat on this one I guess

Yes, that is a questionable timeline. And it is natural for a company that has had more people working for it for longer is further along. They are trying to do something simpler though than making a single complex kite and ground station and controlling it perfectly so that it never crashes. Instead they can add seemingly unlimited blades that don’t seem to be able to crash, so much of the bottleneck for testing seems to be removed, and scaling up should be simpler once the basic design is validated.

I guess no comment on the viability of the business. It seems to have benefits and drawbacks like all things do. I don’t have enough information and I’m not a potential investor so what do I care, for now.

1 Like

To me it doesnt seem simpler than single kite AWE plus a winch. There’s a lot of mechanical and electrical design that needs to be done, then testing. One year for testing even the 1MW alone is not nearly enough, to my judgement. Then they will need to iterate…

1 Like

A prototype is on the video at -11:05. The maximal measured rail speed was 10 m/s, as shown also on the power curves at -10:53, the targeted rail speed being 40 m/s. At 10 m/s, the Cp (power coefficient) is very low, while being high (comparable to that of a conventional wind turbine) at 40 m/s.

Alongside this, at -11:50: "How can it be so low cost"? Five factors are presented: a factor is the high rpm generators: 5000 rpm instead of 12 rpm.

1 Like

Some AWES using a modified Airloom device as a basis? Two propositions are evoked below.

1. Using the Airloom device like a circular carousel with smaller poles, or even no poles with the circular cable running through the ground generators. A very simplified sketch (only a circle):

Airloom type device as a carousel with small poles

1. Base like the Airloom device but with telescopic poles adjustable according to the direction of the wind, therefore like a sort of inclined carousel. The rotor is Daisy or The Pyramid type.

1 Like

I thought along these lines as well. But does it really make sense to move a complex machinery around, if it works well at a permanent position?

I think this concerns the 2nd proposal with the telescopic poles.

The 1st proposal is nothing more than a carousel with a transmission cable on generators on the ground.

I was thinking more along the lines putting a Daisy/Pyramid on a carousel. The only benefit I see immediately is that now the carousel may work better. Though also you could conclude that the carousel itself does not add much

Mike Barnard recently wrote about Airloom device on

AirLoom makes the same mistakes that are repeated over and over and over in wind generation. In fact, they make the same mistakes in virtually exactly the same way as a failed wind generation innovator from the early 1980s, Transpower. […]

What is it that AirLoom and Transpower are doing? Well, instead of putting the wind generator up where the air is stronger, they are keeping it closer to the ground because that’s cheaper. Except that the wind is stronger and less turbulent further from the ground, and energy in the wind is a function of the cube of the wind velocity. Small increases in wind velocity increase energy return tremendously, and AirLoom says, “The heck with that!”

This is similar also to John Dabiri’s schools of counter-rotating vertical axis wind turbine fish which I first assessed over a decade ago now, including a lengthy back and forth with the MacArthur Genius Grant winner. It doesn’t matter how cheap and simple a wind generator is, unless it’s in stronger winds, it’s just not going to make much electricity. At least Dabiri found and attempted to exploit a new effect, but AirLoom has nothing going for it. […]
AirLoom’s blades forego every single one of those advantages. The blades in the front of the device are close to the ground, so there’s more turbulence. They are behind the track and posts, so there’s more turbulence. They can’t pivot into the wind because the posts are fixed to the ground, so only a fraction of the blades in any device are well aligned to the wind. The blades on the downwind side of the loop are flying through dirty air from the blades in the front of the loop. And the friction from the cable running on the inside of the track will suck a bunch of the energy that remains. […]

The prior art Mike Barnard mentioned is on

His arguments match those of our expert @dougselsam concerning the evaluation of “innovations” in wind energy.

1 Like