Any ideas on how to change the length of an endless rope drive during flight?

Both your and my idea, and your later idea that I copied the sketch from to here, cannot work I think unless you solve the following problem. As they are all mediocre ideas with the breaks in the line, with better alternatives available, and the problem being perhaps unsolvable, I wouldn’t bother. The problem: Say you want the loop to have a length of 200 meters but to get to that length…

This now is outdated. This topic has several older concepts, and now two new concepts, the fishing rod spinning reel one, and my latest two drums one with the extra line being dumped, in one way or the other, between the two drums.

These concepts do all allow the rope drive to power the kite from the ground during reel in and reel out. I am only interested in concepts that can be mounted somewhat compactly around a central spinning axis to allow for crosswind, rotary, flight. The spinning reel concept seems most promising to me.

If this is solved and the losses and line wear turn out to not be problems, which they likely are however, you could use this to do bounding/yoyo/reeling rotary MAWES, potentially supported by lifter kites. The fuselage would be clamped to one side of the rope drive.

Similarly, but now with extra lines that go to the wings or fuselage, you could do rotary MAWES flygen, but now with the airborne generators replaced with the rope drive. Different kites would fly at different speeds, so they would have differently sized pulleys. This likely also has problems, now in addition to the other problems you’d have a lower rope drive tension for example and the rotors are likely not going at their optimal speeds.