We’ve moved to Shetland recently.
Another windy Island.
There’s an airport recently closed which used to serve the offshore sector.
Anyone want to relocate to test in Scatsta Shetland?
We’ve moved to Shetland recently.
Thats more or less halfway between UK and Norway? And many restaurants in the city of Lerwick… better than Lista?
Question is, how is the kiting and surf?
Ha ha city
Lerwick is nice. Got some windsurfing in the harbour yesterday. Fooled around on Bana Minn beach again today like this
Yes that was me doing the poo stance… I was a lot better today
Restaurants are more open again now.
It’s still Scotland but with a strong Viking identity.
Sounds like it could form the basis for another vaporware press-release energy company. Because the only thing lacking has been a decent place to test - an open space with wind. I can just picture ten years of Makani/Altaeros/Magenn/KPS/Minesto endless “bridge-to-nowhere” “press-release breakthroughs”:
- A series of highly-announced promises of "how many hundred homes “will be” powered by an envisioned new system;
- Promotion pictures showing how many flies it takes to prove that eating **** is indeed the right choice (the obligatory group-selfies…) If you have any doubts, just look at the convincing smiles of all those gullible - er um I mean, highly-skilled kids)
- An announcement that Bill Gates thinks it has a ten percent chance of succeeding so people will throw money at it…
- some reviews from PhD-level “professional” technology reviewers explaining how there should be a 100 kW product on the market “next year”
- A series of disappointing newsflashes about how testing is only allowed during certain times of year, due to birds, Shetland ponies, etc., or that there was a delay due to a problem laying a cable - whatever it takes to avoid testing;
- A series of wannabe, substitute “news” articles feigning progress, such as " we rented office space!" or “We assembled the craft (again)!”, “We got a further government-sponsored grant”, "We presented a “paper” at a “conference”, or “We’re preparing for next season”, “we ordered some parts!” or maybe “we’re waiting for approval”…
- “Hail-Mary” announcements of upcoming collaborations and “strategic partnerships” with major oil companies and middle-eastern sultanates to “drive the final nail into the coffin” of those dastardly hydrocarbons;
- More “Hail-Mary” announcements that the company is suddenly transitioning to enabling wifi for the masses in undeveloped areas - cuz that’s good too, right?
- An announcement for an auction of all the accumulated debris…
- Announcement of which surviving group-selfie company bought the “I.P.”…
lather, rinse, repeat…
OK that was the humor part, now I would like to wish Roddy and his family a great, fun, happy, and successful life in their new home! :)))
Roddy maybe you could buy the airport. Gotta be good for something. Maybe landing airplanes - who knows!
That looks like a real world class flat water spot there. Currently investigating sailing Bergen-Shetland…
With all that rotary action close to the ground…
flying too low for the Shetland ponies
I’ve got a new excuse to do nothing
They do seem to be more careful with their airport boundaries here. I even saw an actual fence around an airport the other day.
Hold on, Shetland ponies are really small, can’t be that hard to fly one over a fence…
If I invent a pony catapult… That’ll get my excuse back.