Beaujean's AWES as a start for a collaborative project

I evoked Dr. Beaujean's airborne wind turbine in the aim of a preliminary study. Since many things have become clearer. IMHO the end of Makani is a probable sign of that of all current utility-scale projects, none allowing to maximize space, none having sufficient security potential, or quite simply none being operational and productive at any altitude.

I think this design can be a key towards some AWE viability, gathering the following features: a motionless frame as the stator connected to the ground by numerous motionless tethers; numerous blades as the rotor going fast thanks to the hollowed out stator.

As a possible result there is no limits for the scalability, the numerous motionless tethers add a higher level of both safety and control, and a single unity could advantageously replace a farm of kites with their erratic motions and ways of generation leading to a far larger space use.

IMHO Dr. Beaujean is the only one conceptor in AWES who understood the main issues for a possibility of AWE success.

beaujean WindTech Nov-Dec 2011 compressé.pdf (1.2 MB), SkySailsforWindTurbines2012.pdf (265.3 KB)

Some secondary remarks: I would like to avoid counter-rotating blades as that adds complexity and risk of collision. Perhaps the anchored tethers can partially prevent too much torsion due to the torque of the simple (not counter-rotating) rotor. If no, a ring like for Daisy could be added to minimize tethers torsion.

The problem is the requirement of the implementation of moving suspension lines for the two rigid rotor rings, leading to a difficult control for the alignment of the rotors, then shear forces due to wind variations, and also higher tethers drag.

A collaborative project around this project gathering companies and players could be the last hope for AWE. Beside it of course the same actors could pursue their current R&D in the aim of some commercial niche.

If you’re interested in this, I’d try to reduce the concept down to it’s bare essentials, and decide on the size you want to build it. Now it looks like a multibillion euro project, try to see if you can make the most important concept in the idea for a hundred or a thousand euros first.

I think this concept could be feasible and perhaps interesting in small dimensions, about 2-5 m span, using blades of something like 0.2-0.5 m. If a counter-rotating rotor is used, the tethers can be as long as wished. If no, the tethers should be short (after all in the same proportions as the planned AWES) in order to counter the rotor torque, undergoing a limited twist.