Can you share your experience with your lifters?

Hi, I dont have a lot of single line kite experience. I have flown a few pilot/flowform type kites, and now the 3 and 6 sqm SSSL kites from Weifang. I also flew the nighthawk in strong winds.

I experienced the issue that the SSSL kites want to pull left or right into a deathdive in higher winds. The pull is very good though, and they fly quite high, I measured 45-60 degrees. It was moving a bit though.

I really like these kites to fly as high as possible. The kite I have that flies quite low tends to not be able to lift very much as the force is so much in the horizontal direction and not straight up.

The problem with adding a tail is added drag. The kite flies better, but at a lower angle. Also I believe the tail wil only stabilize the yaw axis of the kite, and not help much with death dives. (I have not tested enough here though)

Some problems that is inherent with a high flying kite is that, as it uses rear mass to point to zenith, the geometry is such when flying high that the rear mass will have less effect to steer the kite. To explain what I mean, consider a kite flying directly overhead and one flying directly downwind. If both kites are made to point at an angle left or right (yaw angle), the kite overhead will not have a gravity straightening torque applied, while the downwind kite will.

I tried adding mass instead of a tail, I feel the kite is more stable bu doing this. Its still not a perfect solution though. More testing to follow, as I really like these kites, and have a few more «good» ideas to make them more stable without sacrificing lift-to-drag ratio much.

@Rodread I would be happy If you could draw/explain the proper naming if the SSSL bridles. I have my own numbering system only to lack of information. I dont know which bridle is B2.

As to the flowform kites they fly much more smoothly, I only had some issues launching them from short (30 m) line, where they would deathdive easily. Longer lines and the issue disappeared. They are dependent on a tail though. The ones i tried are called KAP foil 1.6 sqm and 3.0 sqm.

I havent actually lifted much with them yet. I not really a big single line kite guy, but as of recently I found some use for them

2 Likes