Dynamic analysis of the tensegrity structure of a rotary airborne wind energy machine

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Well done all involved on producing first of a kind research.
Some really good insights on how tensegrity structural dynamics performance analysis might develop.

I’m so impressed anyone can competently conjure so many appropriate analytic and experimental methods.

For me, this paper highlights the complexity of the challenge of analysing such a dynamic mechanism.
For most folks this will look like a simple system physically. I reckon however that this paper has laid some new fundamental analytic methods which can unlock greater understanding of how to deploy more optimal AWES.

Looking forward to seeing the evolution of these tests, the analysis and the designs.
very cool

1 Like

“More optimal AWES” is perhaps an objective set during the presentation of:
Pumping Mode Rotary Airborne Wind Energy Systems: Exploration and Experimentation by Christof Beaupoil, @someAWE_cb (Christof is also a co-author of the discussed document in the topic), at Program and Book of Abstracts | AWEC 2024 page 134.

This abstract is available alone on:
http://resolver.tudelft.nl/uuid:ea05ac85-9f0d-47db-bb59-2257a317a758

An excerpt:

Rotary AWE systems on the other hand use a quasi stationary tether and achieve crosswind motion by orbiting multiple connected wings around a center. As shown in the figure the tether of a pumping mode rotary AWE system only performs a reel-out and reel-in translational motion thus, significantly reducing tether losses and the complexity of the control system.
The feasibility of torque-based rotary AWE systems with lifter kites has been successfully demonstrated [3]. However, the use of a lifter kite and the tensile rotary power transmission (TRPT) provide significant challenges in automation and up-scaling [4].

1 Like

Just for the record :grin:: I still think that a TRPT system is feasible and scalable. After Gonzalos brilliant analysis even more so.

The reason I am working on a pumping system for now is that my next goal is to get rid of the lifter kite and build a rotor with a control system. This is simply easier to do if you only have to deal with one tether(force).

In the meantime I am sure that Rod will manage to keep the flag flying high for TRPT systems :slight_smile:

/cb

2 Likes

Yes sir Mr Beaupoil sir
I’ll keep doing what I can
And not just chatting about it

Was it dangerous to share this before watching?
I’ll find out soon

From the abstract:

Taking advantage of the slenderness of the helix, a dynamic model for the evolution of its center line and the torsional deformation was developed by using Cosserat theory.

From page 1274:

2 A model for rotary AWE machines
2.1 Kinematics considerations

[…]Taking the helix as a one-dimensional Cosserat rod with an unshearable cross section has the advantage of extraordinarily simplifying the model while allowing us to capture the axial deformation, the bending of the helix, and the twisting of the helix.[…]

So (at least for me) learning about Cosserat Theory is required to understand this publication.