Flettner balloon and VAWT side by side

For the same total surface area of ​​the AWES, the yo-yo mode (balloon) generates much more power than the present stationary mode (balloons + VAWT) with rope drive transmission, even in the least efficient oblique base trajectory of the Omnidea type, even more in vertical trajectory (which has a crosswind component and is described in the chapter 13), and theoretically even more by figure-eight with however a considerable loss by power consumption which is a cubic function of the very high tangential speed of rotation.

From my rough (but partially supported by Omnidea’s tests) calculation in “(PDF) Vertical axis wind turbine(s) connected to Flettner or Sharp balloons. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/384229571_Vertical_axis_wind_turbines_connected_to_Flettner_or_Sharp_balloons [accessed Oct 07 2024]”:

Although other dimensions can be achieved, for this first approach the VAWT is assumed tobe 20 m x 20 m, leading to a swept area of 400 m².Scenario 1 a, concerning the VAWT, the Figure 9 [13] indicates a TSR of 1.6 for a maximal Cpof 0.32, the solidity value being 0.915. The diameter of the Sharp or Flettner balloons is 12.5m for a TSR of 1, their span being 20 m per balloon, and 40 m for both balloons, for a global projected area of 500 m²

Power consumption: about 3 kW at 5 m/s wind speed,and about 24 kW at 10 m/s wind speed. So the total power becomes respectively 6 kW and 48 kW.

So 900 m² for 48 kW at 10 m/s wind speed, leading to about 53 W /m².

From my rough (but partially supported by Omnidea’s tests) calculation in “(PDF) Towards a gigantic Magnus balloon with motorized belts. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/371856926_Towards_a_gigantic_Magnus_balloon_with_motorized_belts [accessed Oct 07 2024]”:

Extrapolation with a 10 m/s wind speed and the same spin ratio of 1.21
Everything is multiplied by about 6.35, and the power for a classic oblique trajectory before motor consumption and deduction of the transition phases would be around 222.25 W/m²,i.e. a total power of 8890 W before deduction of the consumption power at the tangential speed of 12.1 m/s, i.e. 2222.5 W on average (55.5625 W/m²), and the assumed losses of the transition phases, i.e. 317.5 W, which gives a net average power of 6350 W, i.e. 158.75 W/m².
For a vertical trajectory, the total power would be 16497.3 W, i.e. 412.4325 W/m², which is comparable to that of the flexible kite Mutiny flying crosswind and having a projected area of 18 m², generating an average power of 5.19 kW (table 8 page 44) [4] at a wind speed of 8 m/s, i.e. 323 W/m², leading to a possible 450 W/m² at a wind speed of 10 m/s.

In return we would perhaps have peace of mind (it’s not certain) with the stationary system as described on this topic.

I think the vertical trajectory as described in the chapter 13 would be a good option for Wind Fisher, avoiding a possible excess of power consumption by the cube of tangential speed of the balloon. The vertical trajectory of a rectilinear balloon allows to maximize the use of the space.