Hung-Loop Fences

Hung-Loops Fences
The family of hung-loop fences is up for discussion and development.
All manner of fault-finding is invited.

• System may be networked or forested by using unit hung-loop fences.

• Hung-Loops Fence HLF#1 March 12, 2020. KiteLab Los Angeles. kPower

Notes over the Hung-Loop Fences

1. Down-wind main with heavy lifter wing set.
  2. Aim: fill downwind plane. Foresting per unit. Laterally also duplicate units.
    Lateral duplicated unit fences may be integrated to a mega-kite network.
    For high-density use of land space and airspace for constant production.
  3. Production wings on loops driving ground-gens during up and down strokes.
    Per main, the hung production loop count may be one to very many.
    Rung airfoils may be one or more per loop. Adjacent loops may alternate
    direction of up or down to optimize production.
  4. Option: No main reel at the main anchor.
  5. Safety lines.
  6. Railed or floating holds of far-field anchored ground generator assemblies
    to allow wind-direction changes.
  7. Land or sea installations. Agriculture may fill land space.
  8. Rung wings on loops are crosswinding. Rung wings may be soft or hard airfoils.
  9. Lifter wing set could consist of single wing or train or be part of an arch kite system.
  10. Ganging harvested energy to replace multiple loop-bottom generators is possible.
  11. Drawing error notice: I intended the rung wings to show on the downwind side of hung loops.
  12. I anticipate that the hung loops be using two pulleys on main tether and two at ground to form non-interference.
  13. I offer that rung wings may be on both sides of the loop: wing going up on one side of loop and another wing going down; reverse. Analysis could explore all options on rung operations. Each loop is a cousin of laddermill, but in vertical format (not slanted and not wing-go-around, but rather with reversing-direction operation) as discussed in old forum.

Hung-Loops Fence #1
HLF#1
Rod once shared the following video in another topic. I repeat the video in tease that the rung wings of a vast forest of networked Hung-Loop Fences may be adjusted for optimal positioning for production of energy.

The HLF family of machines resides in the activity space variously referred to as
Wind Energy by Kite, Energy Kiting, Energy Kite Systems, Airborne Wind Energy, Kite Wind Energy,
Kite Electricity, Kitricity, Kite Energy, Drone Wind Energy, Drone-Kite Wind Energy, etc.

Edit for adding option for a two-line main tether assembly featuring robust rung wings working in reversing mode (not go around which would be another option):

A description of this was started in the old forum where it was noted that the rung wings stay during their course crosswinding while facing the wind front without loop slanting downwind as the 1968 Selsam laddermill (non-reversing loop) did. I am refreshing the matter for HLF exploration in this topic.

Aiming here for super density of working wings for efficient use of land and air spaces.
System could be small-scale modeled.
Multiply this unit along the long main twin-tethers of a two-line HLF (Hung Loops Fence) variant.

Rung wings move up for a while and then move down; repeat cycles; AoA reversing control would be needed. Allow long movement for rung wings by leaving loop lengths without rung wings:
--------------------w-----w-----w-----w------------------------------
--------------------w-----w-----w-----w------------------------------

1 Like

H Joe:
I was noticing the previous alternating-dual-pull configuration you outlined had similarities to a laddermill-type configuration, and of course in my mind, there are two directions laddermill could go:
a) “morph” to a SuperTurbine™ (as in “all roads lead to”)
b) actually be built and tried.
Seems strange to me that nobody, (including me) has ever bothered to build even the most rudimentary laddermill.
With all the millions spent on AWE, the hundreds (or more) of talented people participating (or now let’s use pastence: participated), over a decade of this hype-cycle, and the early publicity enjoyed by the laddermill concept, and excitement generated, yet never built or tried, it just goes to show there is an abundance of unexplored configurations. It seems impossible, yet typical, of “AWE” (partial finger-quotes?) that such a configuration could be so celebrated then never even tried. Whoa.
That said, there has been at least one multi-tower-based horizontal ST tried, but for some reason it did not work out. Doesn’t necessarily disprove the concept though.