Kite-X crowdfunding

Any thoughts?

Seems to be a similar market as @Kitewinder.
or the first windswept and interesting product.

1 Like

I think they have departed from AWE. Im not sure if such a small windmill could make a huge impact. Will be interesting to see though, I wish them best of luck

1 Like

They probably wouldn’t have gotten anywhere before running out of money if they hadn’t pivoted.
Maybe AWES is still their long term plan if they can make it til then.

1 Like

A rotor of that size should produce a 1 kW turbine. More in a strong wind. Might need a generator.
With no generator it should spin fast at walking speed. Like this:

1 Like

Kitex turbine has a generator for what I see. A triangle is connected to the ring which seems to drive a belt transmitting power to the generator located on a fixed support (https://kitex.tech/photos/).

Hi Pierre:
If there is a generator in the video, it is too small for the rotor size, and would burn out in a decent wind. The support stalks and guy wires will produce a lot of drag.
Belts are not used in wind turbines for a reason. Not reliable. I think it would burn out the generator and be blown to smithereens in productive winds. Other than that it does look like they at least have a decent grasp of the concept of a rotor. Looks cool.
People new to wind energy, of course, know nothing of any of this…

Hi Doug, thanks for the explains about the limits of the belt transmission. I suppose such limits stand also for AWES, the same as for small generators with high rpm used for fly-gen.

From the website the photos (3, 4, 6, 7 in first) seem to represent what I indicated previously. Please can you verify it?

Yes Pierre I did take a look at the the photos you referred to.
Looks like a very small generator.
Not realistic for the large rotor diameter.
At least they are trying something.
After a couple of decades of seeing people from outside wind energy wanting to revolutionize it anyway, it all gets pretty redundant. Same s***, different day…

1 Like