Kitenergy and its conversion system

The two curves on the page below show the large difference between the generation phase and the full cycle, as usual for yo-yo systems.
http://www.kitenergy.net/technology/experimental-results/

But I believed (before @Rodread’s correction) the video below showed [another conversion system, allowing avoiding reel-in phase, a little like Paynes’ patent US 3987987 figure 5, but with the large advantage of a single station, allowing a simpler installation and facing all wind directions without significant additional devices.]

[This type of conversion is based on the variation in the length of each of the two lines during each figure-eight. Perhaps specially designed trajectories will optimize this type of conversion.]
I put the last parts in brackets due to later @Rodread’s correction as it is not a type of conversion but a mean to adjust the tension of the 2 lines. That said perhaps it could become a low (or even negatively) efficient conversion system even if the distance between the two lines is large enough (implying high kite span) leading to more line motion through the pulleys, using figure-eight with two circle close each other in order to always put the lines in motion. The reason of the expected low or negative efficiency is that the kite is not fully involved: only its turns would be used, and energy is even used to act them.

As corrected by Rod, Kitenergy uses a yo-yo system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NR49k0xSCw

1 Like

That’s still reeling out gen, then reeling back using power for recovery. Yo-Yo
The two pulleys you see moving up and down differentially vertically are there to adjust the relative line tensions for steering the 2 line system.

1 Like

Indeed I may not have interpreted the use of the two tension pulleys correctly. The fact remains that it could also be a (likely no efficient or even using energy) way to convert energy if the two lines are spaced enough to allow more line motion through the pulleys: I just corrected my initial message again.

1 Like