Makani Archives

The Makani flight data logs are also available as a searchable dataset on the Google cloud platform.
This works with their bigquery cloud api.
Maybe you could use this for interfacing AWES history tourist site visitor experiences

The main folder in this bucket is labeled ‘merged logs’ and contains all telemetry from the kite and base station collected during crosswind flights of the M600 kite between 2016 and 2019. The other buckets contain build files and databases that are used to build and run the Makani flight simulator, which can be accessed at github.com/google/makani .

This public dataset is hosted in Google Cloud Storage and available free to use. Use this quick start guide to learn how to access public datasets on Google Cloud Storage.

It seems that the Alphabet X Project Loon may now be going the same way as Makani
https://blog.x.company/loons-final-flight-e9d699123a96

When we unveiled Loon in June 2013, we meant everything in its name. It was a way-out-there and risky venture. Not just fragile-balloons-on-the-edge-of-space risky, but risky at the core of the question it was asking. Could this be the radical idea that might finally bring abundant, affordable Internet access, not just to the next billion, but to the last billion? To the last unconnected communities and those least able to pay?

Sadly, despite the team’s groundbreaking technical achievements over the last 9 years — doing many things previously thought impossible, like precisely navigating balloons in the stratosphere, creating a mesh network in the sky, or developing balloons that can withstand the harsh conditions of the stratosphere for more than a year — the road to commercial viability has proven much longer and riskier than hoped. So we’ve made the difficult decision to close down Loon. In the coming months, we’ll begin winding down operations and it will no longer be an Other Bet within Alphabet.

Internet access looks to be the main purpose, AWE for electricity production being even not mentioned, in spite of Makani’s project. Should the consequence be the mutation of AWES towards internet access systems?

One common symptom of “The Professor Crackpot Syndrome” is thinking “We have to make it REALLY BIG or nobody will take it theriouthly (seriously)!”
Why not get something working well at a workable scale, instead of something failing at Jumbo size?

Thinking “REALLY BIG” is essential, even if small prototypes must be able to function. You have to stop believing that an AWES is made to heat your house. The length of the ropes, the space occupied, make it necessary to think big. After, all is in the schedule of the steps from small to big.

Makani was successful by testing smaller wings. So increasing the dimensions was the normal step. 600 kW is still small in regard to current wind turbines.

1 Like

Makani faced a dilemma.

1. Limit oneself perpetually to small scales under penalty of never being able to sell a system of a few kW occupying an enormous space (always this problem of density, even more significant for AWES).

2. Go to the size above (600 kW, it is still well below the current HAWT) at the cost of unsolvable problems.

Maybe they just didn’t know what they were doing, like most wannabe wind energy innovators. I’ll say again, I don’t think their failure negates the entire category of flygen AWES, although you don’t see me lifting my generators into the sky. Still, they explored one small corner of the conceptual design space.

I think there is a psychological aspect to Google being involved. We’re all so used to turning to Google for the answers to every question, it’s hard to believe they could get something wrong. Instead the learned instinct is to assume they did the best anyone could do in the flygen space and so it must be a dead end.

BTW a valid wind energy concept is usually pretty scalable, so if they had a good, well-functioning system at a smaller scale, there would be some market for it. Maybe there are other possibilities they didn’t see or pursue.

1 Like

Even Dr. Fort Felker, Director of the NREL before being CEO of Makani?

Pierre: As someone who has friends who work at this and other “national labs”, it is a relatively low-paying job compared to private-sector positions, that attracts people who are generally competent or trainable, but not necessarily inspired.

The positions are “go along to get along” oriented, not so much cutting-edge do-or-die efforts. A position at these labs is seen as “safe” - a “steady job” where if you just don’t do anything too wrong you have job security, kind of like becoming a cop or a teacher.

I do not know much about Fort Felker, specifically, but my impression over the years regarding NREL has been that nobody there ever designed or built a real wind turbine. Nobody in their “small-wind” department, for example, started out designing or building small turbines, then gave it up for a government position. They can test what other people build, but do not try much new stuff themselves.

At first I was perplexed that NREL was not at the cutting edge of wind energy research and development, but I learned they were more of a clearinghouse for talent and inspiration, than a source of it. They have a valid role, but this is a free-market economy, and the real innovations usually emanate from the private sector. Nevertheless they are nice people and they do know their stuff for sure.

I had never heard of Fort Felker before he showed up at Stanford for the second(?) world AWE conference in, what 2010(?). Everybody was like “Whoa, look who is noticing us!” Of course the downside was they probably realized they could not go on without reliable significant power production forever - now they were in the big leagues, to some extent, or at least have to acknowledge reality over sheer fantasy.

But likely as not, Fort’s real talent was administrating, strategizing in a business sense, and just keeping things running at a high level, more than innovating specifically. A talented bureaucrat more than a radical innovator.

When Makani hired him away from NREL I was kind of concerned that they were screwing up NREL for no good reason, taking a talented guy away from a position where he was doing some good, to a position where he would probably be wasting his time. Then again, I never heard anyone concerned because he left. I guess he may have been easily and quickly replaced, but who knows?.

Regarding him specifically, I’m not sure whether Makani utilized whatever talents he had to the best effect, since they seemed to already have their direction laid out. I imagined him telling them they didn’t know what they were doing and to give it up, actually. But he was probably so entrenched in the status quo that he was unlikely to really think outside that box. I think he went on to a higher “management” position at Google. Haven’t heard about anything specific he had accomplished in wind energy before or since, although just because I am not aware of it does not mean it didn’t happen.

My best friend since I was a little kid recently left NIST for a job with a private company, after a couple of decades at the government lab. He is much happier, and being paid much better. Originally glad to have such a “solid” job, he eventually yearned for more excitement and better pay.

Here you can learn a bit more about him. He has done those things.

Wow thanks for that Windy_Skies. Sounds like he was part of the birth of modern wind energy, from what I read there.
Yes the Kenetech turbines were some of the first windfarm machines, but they all quickly broke down and had to be replaced. The problem was the early tax incentives were based on installed nameplate capacity, incentivizing companies to just put out junk that would qualify for the tax credits, rather than reliable machines.

I just googled “Paul Gipe Kenetech” and here is the first link that came up:

After the Kenetech disaster the incentives switched to production tax credits, where windfarms got a tax credit for actual electricity produced, That worked better - machines got more reliable. Reliability is key to economical wind energy.

Winglets have never caught on in wind energy. I think it may have to do with centrifugal force loading - the blades don’t need shizzle like that on the blade tips screwing things up - gotta keep it simple.

The reason winglets are used on airplanes is it is an alternative to making the wings longer, because airplanes need to limit their wingspan for taxiing and ground-handling in congested airports.

1 Like

That’s a nice read.