Modelling aeroelastic deformation of soft wing membrane kites

A new study published Title

Author
Poland, Jelle (TU Delft Aerospace Engineering)

Contributor

Schmehl, R. (mentor) ORCID 0000-0002-4112-841X
Ferreira, Carlos (graduation committee) ORCID 0000-0003-0192-3651
Sodja, J. (graduation committee) ORCID 0000-0001-8347-1438
Abstract

Several structural models that could serve as building blocks for a next-generation FSI-based kite design tool have been developed. The models represent the leading-edge inflatable V3 soft wing membrane kite of Kitepower B.V., by using a wireframe multi-plate representation. Where the shape deformations are calculated using bridle line system models. Both by using a trilateration algorithm and a particle system model were accurate results found. Accurate in comparison to the experimentally obtained data from a photogrammetry analysis. The existence of slack and its non-dependence on empirical relations made the force-based particle system model best

I particularly apreciate the new perspective coming from TU Deflt (Page 18 section 1.1) that
Loyd also proposed two different operating modes called the lift- and drag power mode which covers all variants of AWESs existent today [39].
Cool that means all the Rotational devices shown just below that paragraph in fig 1.3 are now considered as crosswind. - - Well Thank goodness for that – rest easy folks - Mechanical X-Wind is officially a thing and recognised by the top academics

1 Like

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/357956939_Modeling_aeroelastic_deformation_of_soft_wing_membrane_kites

I may have misread, but I saw no difference in appreciation.

And in the Fig.1.3 the categories “crosswind”, “rotational”, “tether-aligned”, are well separated: there is no mentioned interconnection between these categories, as usual.