On the importance of writing clearly - off-topic discussion split from "The no Market Hypothesis" topic

TACO 1.0 is linked or mirrored on JoeF’s archives, kPower’s site, and official FAA AWES content.

People who ignore acronyms are just not the same folks for whom they are useful. If always spelled out, why bother using them? Consult JoeF’s AWE archives for comprehensive disambiguation.

Providing AWE links cannot be preemptively optimized, as the ignorance of AWE facts varies from person to person. Requested links are therefore provided as convenient to the sharer (may take a day or two, even a reminder).

Yes. Why bother using acronyms?

I’d be in favor of not allowing acronyms unless they were defined in a wiki on this forum.

You can create that wiki if you want to put an end to this otherwise never ending discussion.

1 Like

There are two reasons to use acronyms: To avoid annoying repetition of lengthy words/names and to be smug.

There’s this Wiki post where common acronyms can be listed.

1 Like

Sorry this thread became the acronym-complaint place.

Acronyms are also used to speed communication in an informed community. Wubbo would not have been allowed to be astronaut if he did not master the acronyms required.

A rule not allowing acronyms unless defined would exclude free expression, like Pierre using “IMHO” on this Forum.

This is not that community. We are here to learn and share, not to try to search for obscure acronyms. That only frustrates.

IMHO is a common acronym used outside of a very small community. You can edit the wiki, add the terms you like, and maybe use a script to edit your posts to put them in a footnote every time you use an acronym. So it does limit your speech, but you can work around that by doing a little work as a courtesy to your reader, where now you do too little, IMHO.

We have discussed this for longer already than it would have taken you to write out the acronyms you use.

It would take long time to redefine all AWES acronyms in common use by the serious AWE community, not just the first few. These terms have all been defined in our academic literature and the Old Forum.

We are also talking about the time required to forever enforce a no-aconyms-unless-defined rule.

If someone uses an acronym like “AWESCO”, at least most of us understand, and do not bother arguing the user should spell it out.

No one’s talking about redefining them, in this thread.

Great! Please copy and paste them into the wiki.

I don’t. Is it AWES company?

Edit, oh http://www.awesco.eu/ Yeah, that should be common knowledge in this community.

1 Like

By “redefine” here, I mean “define twice” not “change the definition”. Let my TACO 1.0 acronym glossary stand as the current best effort. Anyone who wants can mine the literature for more.

AWESCO is the TUDelft-led program to train PhDs in AWE. If I knew who you are, Windy Skies, it would help me judge your request that I do further work for you.

http://www.energykitesystems.net/CoopIP/TetheredAviationConOps.html

It takes work to express oneself clearly. If you want to be understood and people to read your text, I recommend not pushing that effort onto the readers.

Thanks, but I am resigned to not be understood by all, just as anyone who does not understand English cannot understand you here. I do not ask you to explain English.

I have been independently developing an airborne HAWT for the last several years now, and had been thinking about doing that for a long time before that, but could not think of solutions to some problems I saw.

I am interested in learning more about engineering, physics, and math so that I can more effectively develop my product. Study of obscure acronyms has no place in this.

I have lurked the old forum since early on, and have always been frustrated with your lack of communication skills. At the same time, I did get some ideas from it, mostly from @JoeFaust linking content, and it has helped keep up my interest in the subject.

Windy Skies, lets see your work then.

It will emerge if there are enough people who understand you and engage with you.
If there aren’t, you might either

• “dumb things down”, as you probably see it. :wink:
  • attract people to the conversation who “get you”
  • or look for those enlightened ones elsewhere.

Luke,

I was asked to join this Forum without knowing that freely using AWE acronyms,without stopping to define them, would be a problem.

Let folks who do not know AWE acronyms ignore them or read the literature, as proposed,

daveS

I’ve told you who I am. Are you now willing to give some more courtesy to your readers (do work)?

Sorry, I missed learning who you are (name, place, work).

I am always hoping to be more courteous, as best I can.

You can use as many acronyms as you want. I just recommend using as few as possible.
It’s not a problem as long as others aren’t bothered by posts in their threads which can’t be understood.

I’ve told you the work that I am doing. That’s the only relevant thing here. A name is just a name and a place is just a place.

You are that. So it is all the more frustrating that you are not that in this regard, or don’t see this as courtesy.

If anybody wants to introduce themselves, please use this thread.