Online lecture "KGM1: Sustainable Energy to Combat Climate Change"

Online lecture by Marco Ghivarello:

KGM1: Sustainable Energy to Combat Climate Change

When: Sep 18, 2024 08:00 PM (Amsterdam time)
Where: Hamptons Observatory, online access via https://www.hamptonsobservatory.org/events/kgm1

Marco Ghivarello — “KGM1: Sustainable Energy to Combat Climate Change”

Could anyone explain the claim «never negative energy production» that was said a few times? This seems strange for a bounding system (reel out reel in, yoyo, …)

Elastic elements are mentioned … I suspect that means it’s like
You could just have spring recoil on the drum. So the stroke is actuated by line tension > recoil tension to reel the drum out.
Then fly so far to the edge that recoil tensioning helps your turn rate… ? maybe
Kinda like how a rowing machine works with the return stroke being powered by a bungee
I suspect…
Not optimally efficient for overall energy output , bit like driving with a brake, but hey ho
easy to implement.
Also I’m guessing the out stroke (the generating one) could be clutched to a higher gearing / require more force per distance so that
recovery energy is very much less than stroke energy

I think saying this is misleading, because you are just adding energy storage but the underlying technology consumes power during the cycle.

And, I would rather just think about the core energy production alone, then maybe consider energy storage later.

Using a spring can be ok, but it may also present additional losses at wind speeds suboptimal relative to the spring selected

Maybe consumes power from the wing& line traction but not from the generation…
or another way to say is inherently less efficient in the generation stroke as it is overcoming an energy build-up which will be required for return stroke…

1 Like

Same as any bounding system then. Then I would not advertise this as a benfit, because basically you would just be putting your own technology down, once the energy storage [spring] has been divided away from the power generation components