Open-source Höhenwindkraftwerk (Drachen) in Freecad - FreeCAD Forum (open-source airborne wind energy project in freecad)

You really need to tune the spring loaded return to match the conditions
(I’m guessing very hard to do for real)

If your line output was coupled to a torsion spring (such as at this nodding weighted end https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/Torsion_spring_animation_fixed_camera.ogv/220px--Torsion_spring_animation_fixed_camera.ogv.jpg ) And you have your electrical drive coupled to that too
animation on Torsion spring - Wikipedia
and you have a means of varying the response of the spring … In the case above maybe by compressing or limiting portions of the spring.
The longer the spring the easier to turn… Hold it close to the output in higher winds for high force low stroke length at high frequency moves
You want a mechanism to limit the total stroke allowed though … especially at high wind

yes you could certainly still test a lot. at the moment i am a little discouraged because there is hardly any interest in the general public and because the authorities do not issue any permits.

As much as this idea has been realised in a mechanically simple way
& By The Way - well done again on that - that’s not easy…
Parts of this design are sub-optimally arranged.
e.g. being only there for one job and not even working in the most efficient way.
Scaled renewable energy generation wants whole system efficiency to be as high as possible.
The design can no doubt have some application in a system requiring generation but I doubt it’s going to be suited to grid energy utility level generation

the base load current is generated by hundreds of systems working at the same time. this balances out the current fluctuations, even if some systems are defective and are being repaired.

Thanks @thomas_neemann yes,
The collected output of 100 chaotic elements will be much smoother than a single.
However 100 large inefficient elements will still output much less than 100 (or fewer) efficient elements

by inefficient I mean that a kite of a certain size in a storm (7000 meters) under optimal conditions, e.g. 10 MW, but in this case only e.g. 1 MW, which is not a problem if the mechanics can only handle 1 MW. the wind doesn’t send an invoice, so it doesn’t matter

You’re like a beginning painter trying to paint some masterpiece. Of course you will get discouraged. Just keep practicing. Perhaps just enjoy the process of making and learning. And don’t hold on to any one of your ideas too tightly. Everyone has loads of ideas, most of them bad.

What has an exorbitant cost is the space occupied by a flying power system with a rope of several km…

we don’t get any further here. we’ll see what happens

I’m learning from this topic also. I looked at some physics and am now looking into perhaps using FreeCAD.

freecad rocks. i haven’t seen anything better in 30 years of cad service.

1 Like

I’ll add another hurdle you need to think about.

When your 3 km tether it tensioned then released, your energy is essentially the tugging force times distance travelled downwind, minus the opposite on the eay back.

Well such a long tether that is not highly tensioned is very much affected by gravity and tether aerodynamic drag, making it curved. With changing tension, the curvature changes. Unfortunately, this causes added losses that you can’t recover.

In short this acts both as a low pass filter and also direct incurred losses, both which are bad for your overall efficiency.

The losses come from additional drag because of increased crossflow over the tether. A slight effect, but the sum could be significant for a long tether.

Starting with production phase, the kite will move further with the same force relative to the ground attachment point, as tension has increased thus reducing curvature. So power is lost on the way.

In the return phase, you must wait for the kite to move to a slack line downwind position before you ideally want to start reeling in. Such a time delay can not be easily implemented without a computer I believe. If you dont wait, there will be extra tension on the tether as you are both reeling in an the effective tether length is shortened by increasing curvature at the same time.

As you still can not decide the frequency of the turbulence you are harvesting, this will most likely have an impact on how your system can scale. The inertia must be so small that you are matching the frequency of the turbulence.

Finally just a closing observation: wind doesnt send a bill, this is true. But how much of any wind energy at a site is actually harvestable as turbulent winds? My guess is only a small portion of it all…

1 Like

that all sounds right. in my test phase, before it worked, many people said: it won’t work. but it worked in a very simple way. from this point it can continue with tests at high altitude.
greeting

dipl.-ing. thomas neemann

1 Like

That sounds like a fools errand to me to hope something will work in life when it does not on paper

it is the other way around. there are e.g. many functioning perpetuum mobiles machines on paper but none in reality. the open-source awe system actually works in reality.

That doesnt make sense. What you are saying is not logic.

this system arose from practical experiments from the very beginning. without construction plans or calculations.

2 kW peak is an impressive value. @thomas_neemann have you the average power and wind speed when such a peak occurred?

i have not reached this value. it is the maximum output of the generator used

And, if possible, what are your data (average power, peak power, wind speed…)?