Random Engineering, Physics, ..., Concepts and Ideas

Everyone needs an old codger in a shed for advice on engineering
Having recently moved to a new island in lockdown I’ve been hanging out with Tim Hunkin

He’s thorough

2 Likes

Great video! I’ll be browsing his channel.

1 Like

As an alternative to the practical application to nonsense machines in the last video.
Here’s a not 100% sensible solution to practical flying machines

Inflatable airplane
I tried an inflated kite turbine ring. I failed.

1 Like

Cringe time
Like that but inside out.
Here’s how things were 9 years ago

Even after this I tried remaking the spinning trampoline shape with a heavy sewn bag compressing a bunch of inflated bag cells. It was to lessen leakage. What a numpty.
A more modern Daisy Kite Turbine shape uses mainly the blades to hold the inflated form.

1 Like

If you really need a laugh
This is what I tried

It didn’t hold up so I tried this
IMAG0142wee
Yep, they certainly slimmed down a bit

quite an evolution

3 Likes

Wave energy - Engineering with Rosie

Wind turbine design - Engineering with Rosie

seam strength:

2 Likes
1 Like

Built on top of CasADi: Rockit - Optimal motion planning made easy

Closeup of blade flutter:

Aerodynamic Flutter

UNSW - Aerospace Structures - Aeroelasticity

Part of the lecture series: Aerospace Structures Lectures

This lecture: UNSW - Aerospace Structures - Complex Thin walled Structures is somewhat related to this:

In the above lecture on aeroelasticity this formula is given for the divergent speed, the speed at which your wing twists off due to flutter:

V_D = \sqrt{\frac {2K}{\rho S \frac{dC_L}{d\alpha}ec}}

He talks about ways to increase K, the torsional stiffness of your wing.

1 Like
2 Likes

Knew that video was going to be posted here as soon as YouTube started advertising it to me
The Joby downwind faster than the wind machine first ran about 7ish years ago I think.
Still very cool.

However I’m going to rebel against YouTube and be re-succumbed into Facebook… Because look. They sussed AWES on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/1770560189/posts/10208371123953611/?sfnsn=scwspmo

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Drop Stitch Inflatables

Introduction to Materials Science & Engineering 2020Taylor Sparks

More roof damage - this pic shows a section of concrete tile roof of my main house. Looks like the work of a dust-devil, which happen during low winds on sunny summer days, although we had some sustained high winds a couple weeks ago too. Tiles were rearranged in several areas, both sides of the roof.

Weird that a wind person like yourself would buy these tiles for that location. (hihi)

The tiles came with the house, which, like the 10 kW wind turbine and tower, came with the whole ranch.
I’ve recently learned that concrete tiles are not typically fastened very well, relying mostly on weight and friction to keep them in place, with a very few sporadic nails occasionally found just to position the whole assembly. They are very rough and heavy, which works great unless you get strong winds. Since every place gets at least occasional strong winds, I think they should be fastened more securely, especially in a windfarm-class wind resource like this.