Random Engineering, Physics, ..., Concepts and Ideas

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fusion360/comments/hsv3g1/airfoil_tools_for_fusion_360_new_addin/

Some interesting stuff in the linked Autodesk forum post:

1 Like

I started noticing that people were using inertial sensors ( inertial measurement unit ( IMU )) in projects. They look to me to be almost mandatory in AWE.

Here is an intro, I think:

Weirdest Kitesurfing inventions
Made me smile

1 Like

Here is one very simple way to wind a line on a drum evenly, a rotating threaded rod that a pulley rides up and down on: World Kite Altitude Record 2014. You can see pictures and video of it working a little later on in the video. Explanation of setup here from earlier attempts: 2012 kiterecord

Any other implementations or methods?

My robotic basketball hoop wont let you miss – Stuff Made Here

Here the backboard moves. Also check out the links in the description. Books on real time collision detection and computational geometry, among others.

How I made a basketball hoop that always goes in – Stuff Made Here Here the backboard is a special shape.

See blindfolded with an iPad + LiDAR + tactile interface – Stuff Made Here

OK very random link but…
Got to look after the state of your airborne support cable networks
Check out the Scott Manley report on an accident at the Arecibo radar telescope

The rigging is a bit like stadium fly cam rigging.

I love thinking of kite power system configuration in telescope focus terms … e.g.
Can we instead of stretching a lens out long … Array lens elements and reflect the energy for a more efficient machine?

2 Likes

He has more videos about different subjects.

Single End Sizning for Cotton Warp - Rabatex
Note how the thread is threaded through those spring-loaded eyelets to keep tension even, among other things.

1 Like

https://books.google.com/talktobooks/query?q=rope%20dynamics&filters=10

2 Likes

A photo of a dust storm in the Mojave Desert of Planet Earth taken from 8200 feet elevation at the top of Mountaiin High Ski Resort near Los Angeles, California, yesterday:

1 Like

Later that day: Damage to a roof on a ranch property below.
I stopped to water some trees on my way home from skiing and found a lot of roof damage. I’m still repairing it. We get winds here that would make national news anywhere else. We just put up with it.

1 Like

Nah
You wouldn’t get approval for flimsy felt tiles like that here
Slate, concrete or turf

1 Like

Hi Rod: Around here they really need to have the lower edge bonded to the row underneath using tar-based roofing cement, then they can hang in for the long haul. In a neighborhood they would be fine, but out here in the vast open regions, especially on a hill, they need extra attention when being installed. Soon it will need to be re-roofed. I might do it myself so this does not happen again. may even add another layer of plywood.
My main residence and shop have over 12,000 square feet of roofed area, and yes, it is concrete tiles. They still blow off sometimes. We’re technically in a mountain pass, at 3600 feet elevation. Like living in the sky. Probably similar winds to what you experience, or maybe yours are even worse.
Here’s the view from the roof of the backyard and the mountains where we ski. Everything looks brown cuz it’s winter. In a couple months it will be all green with wildflowers and butterflies! Very exposed to wind on this hill.

1 Like

I did like those flappy birdy pictures
However
This is a proper random yet definitely airborne wind energy ish kinda sorta thing