Why non-crosswind type is not popular?

In other words: very difficult to put close together.

You could have them fly like swarms of birds for example, something with which your experience might come in handy. You could program them to avoid obstacles, like the ground, or other kites moving in the same direction. You could try to make them fully self-flying. But yes, making them reliably fly and not hit the ground and then making them fly closer together and not hit each other are apparently difficult.

Both move around. A stationary kite is a line downwind, a kite flying crosswind is more of downwind cone. But the direction of the wind changes so the size of the cylinder you need to reserve is the same. The longer your line, the taller and wider the cylinder, or hemisphere. Or you could argue that you only want to reserve the cone that is occupied in the current wind direction.

But scaling and spacing is not important now. Can you sell me something that has a reasonable capacity factor (i.e. is not too heavy), and can, eventually, in principle, compete with solar on price? I’ll worry about where I’ll put it and if I want to buy more than one unit.

Here: Kitewinder update is one initiative that is somewhat similar to what you’d like to do. (This is more similar).

Some more info: Physics of tethered autogyros, autogyro rotors, and windmills at an angle of incidence to the wind