Savonius AWE kite?

Description of the video:

55 gal Drum Savonius Wind Turbine
Next life - Welded 4: square steel tube
Primary function = addition wind break for our greenhouse
Secondary requirement - Yard Sculpture
Electric output - 20 mph wind = 4 (580 watts @ 12v)

580 W is a confirmed value on the dependent website:

Approx 580 watts at 20mph wind.

The area of this Savonius rotor made of two half 55 gal oil drums is about 1 m². 20 mph gives a little less than 9 m/s. 580 W is more than the theoretical wind power for an area of 1 m² and 9 m/s wind speed…About 50 W would be a more realistic value.

I would like to see measured data of a Savonius turbine: amps then the voltage, or power directly (in W), wind speed.

The test seems to be correct and the output is realistic on the following video:

At 0:40, power 19.9 W, wind speed 6.4 m/s (?), area (perhaps about 1 m² if we compare with nearby objects?)?

That could match the values on the Sandia document.

Good find, Pierre. Maybe they would make more power using only two blades. A point to note regarding “the syndrome”: All testing must be done at ground level. Elevating a vertical-axis turbine is prohibited. We would hate to expose it to any real wind!

Yesterday, I had an hour-long conversation with a “real wind person”, a known authority on home-builds, off-grid systems, who teaches classes on the subject etc., whom I had known for decades. I contacted him to inquire whether he knew of any oil-drum savonius-type turbines that had ever worked out positively for anyone, maybe a system in actual daily operation, powering someone’s home - whatever - anything. I pointed out how extensively the concept had been publicized for well over 50 years now, and with all that fanfare, someone with some actual fabrication skills must have built a decent version, somewhere, that could still be running. He seemed a bit puzzled that I would even be asking about such a bad idea, and told me he didn’t know anyone who had ever built or run one, and if they did it would only break, and that to him, the entire vertical-axis design space was “a dead end”. One point he mentioned was the difficulty in achieving dynamic balance with such a rotor. :slight_smile:

This is what the document we rely on suggests several times on this topic. Page 31:

The maximum power coefficient of the two-bucket configuration is approximately 1.5 times that of the three-bucket configuration.

On the other hand, the torque of the two-bucket configuration is said to be inferior.

From the data of the video, the Cp could be something like 0.1-0.14, a little less than that specified on the document for the same three-bucket configuration.

Maybe an AWE kite version wouldn’t break?

Now talk again with this expert and ask him about AWE in general, but you probably didn’t dare. :slight_smile:

Well, that’s what I was thinking also at first - I mean, how could some off-the-shelf “line-laundry” ever break? But then I realized line laundry is weak. Probably at the point you put a load on it, stresses would emerge. Then again, running “unloaded” is usually bad for any wind turbine. Just remember who has advocated and tried “line-laundry” as a wind turbine in the past, and the dismal lack of results. That goes to show you the level of acumen involved with that concept.

I did mention the line-laundry kite-show version, as the ultimate catalyst for our interest about Savonius in the AWE group. I don’t remember a response. It was a busy conversation, a lot of it about the entire small-wind turbine design space, which companies had gone bankrupt and why (almost every one, after solar panels got so cheap), what new models were out there, and how their overspeed systems worked. (overspeed protection is not the main thing, it’s the ONLY thing).

I mentioned to him a system I wanted to install but without overspeed protection, with the idea I could just tie it off so it couldn’t spin if high winds were forecast, but then mentioned how the forecast often predicts moderate winds but then we get strong winds instead, as happened the other night when we had 18 MPH winds predicted, yet I woke up hearing my 10 kW turbine overspeeding unloaded, then seeing the inverter making 11+ kW then the inverter letting it go again, to avoid damaging the inverter.

I mentioned how newbies always say they will just shut down a turbine when high winds are forecast, and I get tired of hearing that lame excuse for no overspeed protection, and he pointed out: “all it takes in one mistake and your generator is cooked”. (This implies your turbine is designed and built well enough to actually survive long enough to overheat the generator).

Anyway, I’m guessing any savonius light enough in weight to be flying, might be challenged in high winds. As a demo, to be flown by hand, at the time of your choosing, in light to moderate winds, you might get something to work and survive. For strong winds, not so sure. Look at how Magenn’s “blades” were just fabric/cloth that folded back when going upwind. :slight_smile:

Indeed.

And the blades of a Savonius kite would cover all the area (unlike Magenn), aggravating the digging of the blades going up the wind, and therefore the air drag.

I think it is also the reason why the power consumption is so important with Flettner balloons, probably still more with high winds.

Flexible materials are inferior in regard to aerodynamic features. It is the reason why the blades of current wind turbines are rigid. But AWE faces to the weight issue.

Speaking of Savomius, and vertical-axis turbines in general, perhaps the most common “talking point” is they are “ideal for urban environments” because they “respond better to the turbulent airflow around buildings” since they “have no need to aim, because they respond to wind from any direction”.

How many times have you heard that one?
Pretty much every time someone is trying to convince you about the advantages of their “new” vertical-axis turbine, right?

I mean, they’ve been saying that same thing for what, maybe 50 years now, right? And when you hear it, your mind sort of half-imagines that SOMEWHERE, in SOME “urban” area, there must be MANY of these vertical-axis turbines, all outperforming whatever horizontal-axis turbines would otherwise have been installed, right? Because you wouldn’t expect to read and hear HUNDREDS of that same statement, even from PhD “researchers”, if it wasn’t well-known and proven that such vertical-axis turbines in fact did perform well in such urban environments, and so there must BE many such turbines actually IN such urban environments, right? I mean, otherwise, wouldn’t that make each and every vertical-axis promoter making that same claim just a plain old LIAR? And wouldn’t that make everyone who believed it and repeated it just A SUCKER? Maybe even an “idiot”?..

So when does anyone ask a follow-up question:
Can you give us an example of such a turbine in an urban environment?

The answer to even THAT is probably a “no” - I can’t think of one - can you? (Other than that little Savonius turbine that Pierre said is mounted on a wall somewhere near where he lives, which reportedly makes very little energy…)

Let alone the REAL question, which would be whether you could see not only the turbine itself, surrounded by buildings, but also see the output data - maybe a power curve, if such a thing is possible in such an environment!

“So Doug, you’re saying that 50 years of this same statement, over and over again, is complete nonsense, and that there are in fact ZERO vertical-axis turbine even mounted and running in urban environments, let alone any making significant power?” *** I’m saying I don’t know of one - do you?

Now on the one hand, you might say “So what? What does that have to do with anything?”
But on the other hand, please realize, this is an example of what the common person assumes he KNOWS about wind energy, and there is absolutely nothing to it! This is the MAIN TALKING POINT for many vertical-axis turbines, and when even slightly scrutinized, it falls apart as complete nonsense!

Yet how many vertical-axis turbine designs have received, and continue to receive, funding based on this repetitive statement, that would appear to have no actual examples? People accept the talking point, and never ask “Where is an example?”…

What brought this to mind is I’ve been noticing the last few days, how our 10-kW turbine on a 120-foot tower seems to be almost always spinning, even when it feels like there is almost no wind down here on the ground. It’s up there, always ready to capture energy from ANY little bit of productive wind, not only up there, but already spinning, so even a momentary gust, lasting just a few seconds, is enough to provide some electricity. That is very high availability. No launchings, no landings, nobody even has to be here, it just does what it does, whenever it needs to do it!

When the topic of wind or solar energy comes up, one problem often mentioned is “intermittency”.
And common AWE talking points are:

1. There is more wind the higher you go, so it can make power more of the time;
  2. It can perform even in light winds due to crosswind travel, which increases even light winds to productive speed hitting the AWE system, giving more availability, and less intermittency.

So then they cite a supposed unusually high capacity factor.

But what about the actual availability of the AWE system to capture all that energy? What if the energy is there, but no AWE system is ready to produce electricity from it at all times?

One question about AWE is not so much whether the concept of higher winds at higher heights is valid, but what good is it, if nobody can come up with a system that can harness all that wind, all day, every day?

So, like most "alternative’ wind energy devices, AWE systems have their own repetitive talking points. but the question in AWE is not so much the existence and high availability of the wind resource, so much as the intermittency and non-availability of the actual AWE SYSTEMS.

Now, is this all part of a well-worn “syndrome”?

Yes it is. Right now, I’m thinking of an old scam that was called “WindTree”, literally promoting spinning rooftop ventilator fans (the ones that look like a beehive?) as the next wind turbine breakthrough, and they were selling, not the turbines themselves, but "territories: which you could BUY, giving you the right to sell the rooftop ventilators (in the near future) in that area.

Like so many scam turbines out there, WindTree promotions would start out explaining the HUGE ENERGY RESOURCE IN THE WIND, as though that was ever in question. They’d cite statistics about how all the wind in the world could power all of civilization 1000 times over, or something to that effect.

It was actually a diversion though, that allowed them to state true scientific facts (about the wind resource), neatly dodging any requirement to address exactly WHY their rooftop spinning beehive ventilators were a better choice than real wind turbines. And it worked. People didn’t notice that, and bought territories instead. As though they were playing “a shell game”. In other words, it was a con! I think I remember people were eventually actually prosecuted at some point, for fraud, or ripping people off, or something…

Anyway, so what does that have to do with AWE? Well, the similarity is, AWE also sells itself by talking about the vastness of the wind resource at heights above where today’s wind turbines operate. This neatly dodges the question of how often the AWE system is AVAILABLE to CAPTURE that energy. from what we’ve seen, the answer is “almost never”.

So this is the kind of thing I’m talking about when I say, we in wind energy have heard all this kind of stuff before, and unknown to the people saying it, it’s very repetitive, and the moment you hear it, if you’ve been in the field for awhile, red flags automatically pop up! Dinggggg! :slight_smile:

Here’s a Savonius with negative bucket overlap
(2) Ionut Ursachi - YouTube

I think the multi-meter measures voltage, but I don’t see amps. So I don’t know the real power (in W).

And, for a Savonius AWE kite, the Magnus effect would probably be destroyed by the distance of the blades, just like for a Darrieus wind rotor for which I also verified that there was no Magnus effect.

Yeah, that’s what newbies do - just measure voltage. They get all excited by a volt-meter. “Volts” is something they can understand. They are looking to win the Nobel Prize for producing a voltage. To show current might require, for example, the addition of a more expensive Hall-effect clamp amp-meter.

In this case, they are measuring the voltage of a charged battery, connected to the turbine, indicative of the ability of the turbine to hit a charging voltage, to maintain the charge of a battery. This is known as a “trickle charge”, so with no current shown, it’s impossible to say how much power, if any, is being generated, unless they explode the battery, which would show significant power was being put into it.

Probably true, just included it because it looked like one of the better builds of any kind of Savonius I’ve seen, and the lever arm distance would create more torque, while the separation between blades might make the three-blader more effective than just two blades. One could imagine a very large diameter version with long arms, and many, many blades…(?) Maybe someone could charge admission to come and see it operate! :slight_smile:

Professor Crackpot’s Savonius business plan
Presentation for LinkedIn 1-15-16 | PPT (slideshare.net)

Professor Crackpot’s Savonius Vento-360 Website 13 years later, Vento360 – Harnessing the winds energy to power tomorrow. where they DO NOT SHOW A PICTURE OF A TURBINE, but instead use that same triple-swirl logo Makani and most loser wannabe wind energy companies use:
Whenever you see a logo like this, run the other way! Like red spots on the skin are a symptom of chickenpox, this logo and ones like it are a symptom of “Professor Crackpot”!