Skysails Power System installed

I’m sure that really breaks Skysail’s heart to hear that

Hi Tallak: Well, given the paucity of information, we’re left to guess what the real situation is. The idea that they;re going to supply a crew to operate any given system seems farfetched as a business model. I thought the whole idea was “fully autonomous”.
I’m thinking if their “pivot” from pulling ships, to generating AWE, doesn’t work out, maybe they’ll pivot again to providing WIFI, like Altaeros says they are doing, although I see no evidence Altaeros is actually doing that either… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I expect you are pretty spot on in your guesswork. My point being that Skysails will be ready when they are ready or maybe run out of cash one day. If they are not living up to our expectations of progress, that is probably not a big deal for them

SkySails, as the current leader in AWE, is on the right track.

News on the horizon: Airborne Wind Energy takes off in East Asia.

Our Technology has captured the attention of udn.com Co.Ltd., illuminating the path of this remarkable innovation. :newspaper_roll: As the world shifts towards sustainable energy solutions, innovation knows no bounds.

The future of sustainable energy is soaring to new heights – quite literally! :globe_with_meridians: The Far East’s embrace of High-Altitude Wind Energy reminds us that innovation is boundless and solutions can emerge from unexpected quarters. Let’s continue to explore, innovate, and collaborate for a cleaner, brighter, and more sustainable world with more airborne wind energy systems. :earth_africa::handshake:

Stay tuned for more exciting news as our technology evolves.

1 Like

Thanks Pierre: Maybe I just don’t understand how Linked-in works, but, what is this?
“News” that some article, or coverage, appeared somewhere?
Where, and when, is that picture from?

Hi Doug,

You know the answer! Enjoy the fact that for the same topic about news dating from 2020, we have more or less the same photo and fairly similar information: we don’t need to open a new topic. This is another positive point to the credit of SkySails, which in this way allows to save on editorial costs or the opening of new topics, for at least LinkedIn and AWEsystems forum.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Slow Chat II

A few extracts:

The weight of the kite depends on its size. A 200 m² kite weighs about 50 kg.

Most of the used components are standard industry commodities with high availability and track record sourced from experienced wind energy suppliers. For our kites, the use of modern UV coatings and extremely durable and innovative materials has significantly increased their lifespan. However, the kite and tether are wear parts that are replaced at regular intervals. This allows easy implementation of product optimizations that have a positive effect on yield production. Of course, these wear part’s costs are considered in the economic efficiency calculation of the project.

We are currently evaluating various upcycling or recycling options for used kites to optimize our systems’ ecological footprint. We are still open to creative ideas and potential partners. So do not hesitate to get in touch if you are looking for high-performance textiles for your creative business!

50 kg for a 200 m² kite is an interesting low value. And the “life expectancy” of their system seems to benefit from a complete approach. We’ll have to wait and see on the basis of practical experience and future test reports.

Another extract:

If required by air traffic regulations, the kite, the control pod, and the ground station can be marked with white flashing lights to improve visibility at night.

About the control pod:

An extract page 7:

PREVIOUS CONTROL PODS
SkySails has used control pods of different configurations in their kite system since they started their kite business. The first pod was designed for a 6 m² kite and was then scaled to a 10 m². Later the systems were developed to stand a certain load that could use multiple different kite sizes depending on the wind conditions.These were 20kN, 40kN, 80kN, and 160kN (the left image in figure 2). The largest pods built at SkySails were for the 320kN System for towing cargo ships. Those pods weighed around 70-80 kg and had large gears to move the belt. A planetary gear house was placed inside the cogwheel, and the angle between the belt and kite lines was adjustable.

2 Likes

From what I can tell the control pod uses a belt to steer the kite. The belt seems to be able to support a lot of weight. With this arrangement when one line is let out, the other line is pulled in (as the control lines are connected via belt). What effects might this have on steering? Is it any different than a kite-bar or even a two line kite?

1 Like