Slow Chat

I’ll continue my bigotry streak
That bloody electricity maps.com lumped beautiful Scotland in with filthy manky dirty rotten england again. Booo
Even with our current grid outages from snow and ice storms Scotland has lower emissions than France.
144gCO₂eq/kWh eugh dirty mingers

Bit disappointing though low 90’s usually around 30gCO₂eq/kWh
Our wee neighbour Island group Orkney is doing well 13gCO₂eq/kWh
Nobody is ever allowed to know what goes on in Shetland Energy

There is one thing coal could be good for? is graphine composites. It just depends of the quality of the coal? Yes us English have huge problems at the moment. It hard to get a people to work it desperate conditions.

I don’t deny that north of the wall has some advantages England does not.
Strictly speaking the geology under foot it pretty mixed. There are still places like centralia, pennsylvania suffering the consequences of hard rock mining. Subsidence is still a threat to many. Nevermind the fact when the do collapse you a ready made fault zone. The two issues I can see with the rock in the uk especially at a time of sabre rattling Is? a direct hit causing wide spread devastation to by setting of chain re actions. Scotland is screwed because most of the rock has heavy isotopes which fissionable materials. Hit the cobalt up there and 100mile exclusions zone. Scotland turned to a molten slag heap. Hit the uranium? It would turn most of Scotland into a natural fission reactor. Depending water supply it might go into meltdown? The English might fair better but still the coal will burn uncontrollably if hit? The limestone will turn to slaked lime. radon gas will react, uranium deposits we have will go bang! It won’t be the Uk as we know it. it will be K.O for quite some time. Look at this a while back it wasn’t pretty. It got to be bad if they want the coal? It would be better turning all that carbon to diamonds. The English aren’t grubby, just out classes. @Rodread laugh all you want! Shetland mainly volcanic granite!

Fusion is more valuable to us now then it has ever been. It just need a bright spark to figure out the right chamber shape? Helion is a good design though improvement can always be made. There is a form of resonate cavity fusion. that can use the cumulative effect of compound waves to create pinch points. Something I’ve been following. considering tokamaks and stellarators have been hotly debated? At one point I would of said stellarators would pull it off? But now I’m not so sure. If someone really wanted to retro fit the particles collider to generate power? It just about getting the particles flow right? Helion seems to be heading that way? But who knows what next if the fusion family tree? Maybe one day we shall see a table top reactor? Pumping out all the electrical juice we would ever want? But till then I won’t be bitting my breath in how disappointing long it taken. Research started sometime when fission did and nothing. Nothing with overall promise. If I were to bet on net gain at billion-1 odds? helion would get my ticket!

Eolink:

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/zp256e/this_floating_pyramid_wind_turbine_will_produce/

Tour de l’Innovation en Finistère - Episode 9 - EOLINK

Similar:

T-Omega Wind Overview

And X1 Wind:

That’s 3 different companies doing quite a similar thing.

The T-Omega Wind video talks about deepwater ports being important for offshore wind.

Stuff on TouchWind:

1 Like

Looks like a watered-down, single-rotor version of my renderings from years ago, where I pioneered the floating, downwind-tilting offshore turbine concept. And I also fabricate and use a lot of one-piece rotors. They didn’t include many details of that one-piece rotor, but it looked like too wide of a chord, making a very high-solidity rotor, compared to real rotors. Anyway, if you look at their logo, they show the 3 imaginary wind swirls like Makani. This sort of logo is a hallmark of failed wind energy concepts. For some reason, that same basic logo seems very attractive to wind newbies destined to fall by the wayside. As with “Wherebrain” making us ask “Where IS their brain?”, "Touchwind makes me ask “Are they “touched”?” :slight_smile:

You can remedy this by reinstating Dave Santos and his contributions, since that is who you are talking about. I wish you success again.

1 Like

Ah yes, free speech? That old chestnut! Free speech is especially import to engineering. Because with out you can’t zone on a prize at the end of the road. Sure there are billion and one way to go wrong! But it because of those missteps? You find a way that works! It crucial to R&D. Even the founding fathers of the United States knew this. They knew it like the back of thier hands. In the long run without free speech and freedom of expression. We are lost as a species. We can’t adapt nor can we function. We then became entrenched and stagnant. The will only end one way, with grime tidings. Scope is often lacking in some circumstances? To diminish that? Well? you can’t but assume trouble on the horizon! It takes courage to speak up and risk making a prize fool of yourself. That just the start of a journey not to be soo fooled. It like coming out a dark room after months of solitary. To know the world much larger! Unfortunately for us humans we need the various view point to be able to make any sort or rational judgment. You get nowhere with impaired judgment. There a million of soul that throw themselves at the wall daily. Never growing up and moving on. It sometime that little thing that changes everything? Having the courage to say something? is better than being lulled into silence! 99% of us know very little other than your own little worlds? Hyper focused to the point opportunity get missed. Live are lost. No point remind everyone of the heaps of carcasses found on the mound. Free speech is the bridge between people. You might not like what someone say? But do you defend their right to say it? So much is lost when we turn inwards on ourselves. Potential is one such victim. Crackpot and broken shards is what becomes of engineering. if your unbelievably unable to learn firn others? You will never refine what it is that makes some good? but not only good? but works! Hero of Alexandria and many other? Who made greatest things humanity has ever made needed this development process.

If the world falls silent it will be deafening and it will be eon before the like of will be seen again? If it ever seen again? Took abt. 30 million year cycles to lead to convergent evolution. Take the eyes or flight for that matter? Loosing free speech is like loose and eye? Depth perception is lost?

Though I haven’t been following all the developments on the forum? Censorship is rather alarming to outsiders. It echos the catastrophe in the wider world when free speech it silenced? It the first rung on the ladder toward tyranny. But that point anyone try to achieve success? will find it counter productive! With that a loss of talents? The quality of product will greatly demising as the skill sets will not be there to carry it on! Free speech is keep to this! It key to understanding the continued survival. Instead of regression back to stick and clubs. Yes Dave Santos get a bad wrap. Maybe that’s just me running blind? If Dave Santos can be ostracised then who else? Common phrase i here when man is down? Who’s manning the deck!? In the end it is a safety issue? It not going to happen overnight but you see in 20-30 years time? That when it really will take notice? Awes it out to be the best at what it does? It can’t do that if scared into silence? Many hands make light work of the problem? So all hand on deck! You might find there is room for everybody? Even the wayward sort?

Lot more work to be done it seems? To make things a top notch work place environment? With that thought I shall leave it there! Feel free to chime in?

1 Like

Lets not get too philosophical about this. This is an open area where people are mostly met with respect and kindness.

The very few circumstances where people have been kicked out of the forum is after repeatedly posting abusive or spammy posts. We still have free speech. Such people can post their stuff anywhere they want. There is really no way to sensor the internet [at any of ours disposal].

Its just not about censoring, even if that sounds more sexy.

They have had the means to censor the internet for a longtime. windows xp had the ability it wasn’t perfect. But was liberally used by coders. be i as it is I know of a few that done exactly that. Filter features are a prime example of something that can be misused. Initially to get to the kind of result from an internet search. Later that got expanded to, job applications, safe searches, and all it required were a few key words being programmed in. Even people’s psych profile.

Does anyone remember the window explorer incident where they were down rating companies just to promote others? Where even the traffic was moderated? Here In the uk it is a major part of the communication act. It often brushed of as cyber security? You also had examples from more recent source like Twitter and YouTube. Control what people say and do you can control the outcome. This isn’t a new thing. It be a multigenerational problem. In the extreme it has brought out the worst in people. Especially if they were deeply authoritarian? There are stories of KGB ops in Poland during the Cold War. Even eastern Germany and Hungary In the case of Poland you here stories about opponents being turned to sausage? Then feed to feral dogs?

It can’t be understated the value of free speech. Without it the Berlin Wall may not have fallen. Romania would still had issues. There would be plenty of other countries, that would be in a darker place without it. Yep, you got to admit its needed!

Even if it to allow the various people to make mistakes. So you don’t have too? It some that gets taught in every personal development course? Crops up a few time in health and safety training. Fork lift accident just but one example I know of. Then you have extensive talked about cables a fairing on the forum. Especially because of the type of equipment proposed. Line brakes are a very real threat to safety. Wrong place? wrong time? you got guys loosing life and limb. Imagine not being able to convey that? Where would the compassion be there? I Suspect there would be non?! Put it like this? without free speech? there would be no chance of evolving better safety standards. It critical to everything everyone does.
If your not a able to pick up the bat? Then run with it? You got a problem? In all likelihood your going to be out there on your own? Struggling to reach out? Maybe to find your getting slapped down a lot? Making no progress in the world. Free speech enables growth and personal development. Without it there would be no opportunities to grow? In all likelihood it makes everyone look like dribbling 3 year old. With those sorts of dependency come the same sort on vulnerability. Bound in invisible chains is not the way I’d think most would like to go out? Many would like to go surrounded by family and friends. Instead of the poor man in a box suffering the indignity of lonely departure. If we don’t have free speech? this is where many will end up. Without friends or family to send them on their way. It can happen? in many case does happen! Rough sleepers are not so lucky when it comes to this. You need free speech in order to arrange gatherings. Most importantly to maintain a level of dignity and respect to all around. That itself is a full time career.

Even if it a rare occurrence on the forum you need to deal with wayward behaviour? It still possible to mute people in chats. My daughter love to do this to me while on call sometimes. She tends to think it terribly funny? The internet it not what we think it is? There’s always something more?

We do live in a time where bad faith actors are becoming far more common. The worse part about that is? it can go unchallenged and unchecked for generations. That negatively impacts everyone sense of reality? That one an ungodly beast to pick apart. Openness, fairness and kindness are some of the best qualities humanity has to offer. We all then can get the best out of life. Keeping the devil from the door. as they sometimes say. Even might be able to save the odd person here or there?

It’s a reality of today technology driven society. that something that meant to unite us? can be also there to divide us! It a tricky balance I know. One we all must strive to achieve something for the betterment of humanity? It not just philosophical? for many it is a fact of life! I know there been a lot of talk about Dave Santos and his efforts. It come up a few time since I’ve been on the forum. Being a relative novice to these things? I dread to think how that comes of to an uneducated observer? People can be very superficial? I’ve meet a few in my time on this earth. I wouldn’t want to sin bin them without good cause. Free speech is a key component to anything any wishes to achieve. I wouldn’t like to think where we be tomorrow without it?

1 Like

I was thinking about the people involved in this forum.

I agree kindness, openness, respect, these are good qualities that I would like to see here. The threat is not to free speech, rather those that exploit these qualities in other forum members to promote their own agenda or whims. The threat to free speech does not come from those trying to maintain a healthy, hygienic forum. Rather it comes from those who is exploiting the forum in bad ways. And those will be the one raising the «free speech» flag the highest. But it is just another tool to break down the good qualities of the forum.

In proclaiming that we are not «doing» free speech without looking at the data, you are not doing anyone a favor. If you do go back in time and look at the repeated warnings for breaking the rules of the forum, blocking some people was the right call. God knows these people had plenty ways to correct their ways. They were excluded for breaking rules, not as a step in censoring.

You (plural) have little chance of convincing the simple non-moderating users, on average about half. Censorship is not the only weapon used as soon as technical elements call into question the projects of certain groups (guess which ones…): at those times the “rules” had suddenly disappeared from moderation itself. So don’t invoke these broken “rules”.

Since we are also talking about Dave Santos, and he is unable to answer, then we can take a look at one of his last public messages on https://www.facebook.com/groups/aweia/?multi_permalinks=6523539251009319%2C6520347547995156%2C6514309798598931&notif_id=1671520760263325&notif_t=group_activity&ref=notif .

I know, its a lost cause.

Mybe this is where ChatGPT will have the greatest impact on our forum

Can it translate @Freeflying messages into intelligible succinct coherent text?
Can it ask @kitefreak if he really means to send a message saying “…context…”?
Can it improve on the moderators? (I am only a very junior level one)

Can it resolve the calculations presented into a map of what’s useful ? Or what’s missing ? Or what’s a priority area of research…?

#1 I think yes.

#2 I think maybe yes.

#3 I think probably not. Moderation depends on understanding things that are unclear and maybe taking decisions on things that are not straightforward. So I think as of 2022 it would do a poor job here.

#4 (calculations) Sorry I dont think there is a remote chance of any useful help here.

About the priority of research, I am sure chatgpt is prone to prefer yoyo vs flygen and lesser TRPT. ChatGPT is just parroting shitloads of text… it is not sentinent

1 Like

With regards to letting someone back on this forum, with all the abuse in the past, I can say for my own part that any channel that allows that abuse to continue, I will shut down. I plain words, I will certainly leave the forum if that happened. This is my decision and I dont expect you to take this into consideration if the question about other users should come up. But it may be an indicator of what kind of place this would be if «free speech» was to be the only goal of this forum. Which I must stress, this case has very little to do with free speech. There may be more people like me, and probably a lot of the people sitting on the fence would be deterred from joining this forum if abuse, flame wars and meaningless babble was the bulk of messages posted here.

As a parallel, I quit Twitter because I could not stop receiving for me disturbing messages from Elon Musk after he took over. Its just about having the places I spend minutes or hours on a daily basis giving me some perceived value for me, and not making me feel bad at the end if the day.

2 Likes

All fair comments.

Fun fact: I have never used Twitter. It been pure pantomime for my angle of things. Elon’s take over was a shock! Especially, when it looked like he checked out of the deal?

Free speech is alway going to be very contentious. Due to the fact the we are all on various life paths? Somewhat wound up in a similar location against all the odds?

ChatGpt sound like a good idea? I’ve only got to have an i in the wrong place and forget to cross my t’s and it a world of hurt for me? I’ve got to love my own personal monogrammed hurt locker. I’m a generalist on the free speech front. Wherever I just so happen to be? Nothing to be take personally. Clear commission is a fundamental corner stone. Free speech effect all aspect of life. Not just a back water forum. that 90% of the GP don’t know exist.

One training session a lone long time ago? They brought up the desert island parable. Your trap on a desert island with people you don’t know! don’t trust! but some how you need to work with these people, to get off the island? You have three options,

1# go it alone! risk life and limb? With limited chance for success?

2# find a way to communicate with people of different backgrounds, skills and capabilities? Then try to succeed together?

3# give up and die?

Plan 2# give everybody the best chance of survival!
Plan1# give you minimum conflict. but very little rewards.
Plan 3# will get you no where!

If I remember the percentages? 85% for plan 1# 10% for plan 2# plan 3# is considered the casualty rate in extreme circumstances. Primitive survival rating is 1-10. On average it’s between 3.5 to 6 for most people. Not sure if that can be applied to R&D but should give some overview?

Its quite common to team building exercises.
Common in many personal development situations.
It certainly was used when I was in scouts. many many years ago?
Its common to encounter it at work training sessions.
I’ve been too many in recent years.

In general people don’t like having to deal with various incompatibilities. It is often Sub headed as unexpected change? Can it be abusive? Sure! Can it be abrupt? Sure can! As far as I understand it that often a dual carriageway. Where accident happened! very little or anything is ever resolved? And you have the various parties involved feeling dejected.

No one want to feel like crap! Especially when trying to do something they love to do in a chosen field. I certainly don’t! The hours you can sit brooding of things? is just nuts! I cannot fault anyone wanting to find their own path. It better than getting stuck in limbo.

Ultimately there are some decisions I’m not in control of. Things happen regardless. Life goes on.

TLDR; I think its not working as a few nuances are being left out and maybe some facts are being changed.

That being said, if you used it like a spelling checker, eg. from draft → GPT rewrite → your edited text, I think it could provide value. Still, i prefer 100% human text even if its not the most professional looking alternative

ChatGPT says:

I want to share some thoughts with you all. First, I want to mention that I have never used Twitter, so I don’t have much experience with it. However, I was surprised when Elon took over, especially when it seemed like he was backing out of the deal.

Free speech can be a controversial topic because we all have different viewpoints and experiences. That being said, I believe that clear communication is important and affects all aspects of life, not just in obscure forums.

I remember a training session where we were told a story about being trapped on a desert island with people we don’t trust. We were given three options: go it alone, try to communicate and work together, or give up and die. Option two gives everyone the best chance of survival, while option one can lead to minimal conflict but little reward. Option three will get you nowhere.

Team building exercises like this are common in many situations, including work training sessions and personal development courses. However, it can be difficult to deal with conflicting perspectives and unexpected changes. It can even be abusive or abrupt. I understand that these situations can leave people feeling dejected.

I don’t want anyone to feel like crap, especially when they are doing something they love in their field. That being said, sometimes there are decisions that are out of our control and we just have to move on with life.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts, Jason.
Let’s acknowledge that allowing open communication is, overall, a good thing. But the downside is that open communication also allows bad actors to disseminate DIS-information and falsehoods, that may be destructive.

Imagine on a scale of -10 => +10, good information falls above zero, whereas bad information falls below zero. A main advantage of free speech is the ability to speak up and flag bad information, falsehoods, whether issued due to bad intentions (deliberately lying) or sheer ignorance (they don’t know any better). The idea is to add a positive number, to counteract and weigh against the negative number. From my vantage point, I see most censorship being practiced by the same people disseminating or reinforcing bad information, and the censorship is designed to silence good information and the good people flagging disinformation.

By the time you have people making blatant ridiculously false statements on a regular basis, it seems necessary for someone to stand up and explain why the bad information is not true. Those are the people who are most likely to be silenced. Especially when the liars have control over silencing anyone - the people who get silenced are most often the truthtellers. The conversation then often almost seems to turn into a battle of good versus evil. The only answer for the liars is to silence any opposition to their lies. I am in general opposed to anyone censoring anyone else, and one problem that seems to emerge is when a source of disinformation digs in their heels and refuses to acknowledge the good points made to refute their lies and misinformed opinions, it can drag the whole conversation down from a productive interchange into a diversionary conflict over who is issuing disinformation (below zero) versus good information (above zero).

You can go back to Gallileo and Copernicus for example: They had no urge to censor anyone, they just offered helpful good information. It was the entrenched special interests with their below-zero falsehoods who insisted the truthtellers be silenced. I think it was even Copernicus who was forced to say he didn’t actually believe in a heliocentric reality per se, but was just offering a helpful mathematical trick that simplified astrological calculations.

Who was enforcing censorship? The liars, as usual. They couldn’t withstand free speech lest their lies or ignorant falsehoods be exposed. We’ve been there before - false statements, bolstered by false credentials, all lies to fake out everyone in an attempt to silence good information and substitute complete, uninformed nonsense.

It seems that there is a natural inclination for the promoters of falsehoods to inject themselves into positions that allow them to silence truth-tellers. Look who runs most of the social media - the world is shocked when anyone else but a pathological liar gets control of even a single social media outlet. Like caged animals afraid to leave their cage when the door is opened, nobody can even believe it.
In this modern era, such positions to restrain truth are variously called “moderators” or the Orwellian “fact-checkers”, (who check for facts, so as to eliminate the facts). The unstated reality is that these people want everyone else to flounder in “opposite-land”, where everything they think is 100% wrong (-10)

Yes and when “the devil” DOES darken the door, it’s important that someone can counter their disinformation with good information, to keep everything on a positive track.

As Elon says, it might save everyone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you everyone! Yes there is a lot learn! @tallakt @dougselsam

It seems the Google based chatGTP. came closes to translating the majority of the my text to something more intelligible. I laughter because the other went sod this! Couldn’t even do it.

I can see there a lot of missing nuance with even in the chatGDP.

I’m not sure if a old style nokia predictive text might work better? Basically there two systems I’ve used. I’ve used android text system for ages. As standard in most smart phones. Nokia’s text formats we my first encounter with predictive text. Perhaps a a patch between the two might work better? I had 7250 and later releases. For nokia. Htc and Lenovo are the others I’ve used.

Agreeably I’m more able to use a keyboard without predictive on. Though as I’m limited for hardware. It is what I get for myself. I’m not sure how much chat rewrites are going to impact on people developmentally? As a person with additional needs myself. Is anyone aware of potential consequences across the board? As nuances are often missed. Details missed out. Meaning lost entirely. I’m wondering if we creating a dependency problem? Because I know I’m reliant on it for all lot of what I do. I know my additional needs can impact me with my communication. Reading writing ect. So I dread to think what it is like for others? We all have a reciprocal feed back loop. That engages when we talk? Will a chat ai help? Or will it lead to unintentionally giving off false positives?

For me theres another issue. how much responsibility are we surrendering to Ai bots? Are we just pasting over crack? Only to loose a piece of our nature along the way? I don’t fully understand where that road goes? Especially considering potential legal side effects? Some what impresses with the chatGTP got 80% of what I was saying to be more coherent.
there is a lot to be learned from this exchange. Details, and many more nuances. Might help figure out how language is change since it’s introduction?

Being that guy with basic English. because the educational system figured GCSEs English was too much for me. I do what I can. Nearly 20 years after leaving school. I wonder how they even figured out spell check? It might just be me? ever since the introduction of computers into the education system. My first brush with them was an old style Mac on c++ at about 1993. with the expressed notion that it will make it easier? I like to counter that by saying it only changed the thing we choosing to interact with. It made somethings harder because of trading skills while letting other become dormant . Which means we were not writing by hand as much. Obviously we all be came dependent on our gadget to communicate and interact with the world. So much so it now part and parcel of western culture.

In a study of Chinese gamers who we’re addict to gaming. They notice abnormalities with how the brain was wired and structures. After three months strict discipline training. They found many of the recruits were better able to socialise.

I might not be the smartest cookie at times? But I do know Murphy’s law quite well.

I appreciate the points Doug has made regarding free speech. Especially on the disinformation front. With all that in mind? I would like to wish you all at Awes a merry time. leading upto the New Years. If Elon is being an advocate of free speech? Be good to see if he actually champion it?

2 Likes