Slow Chat

Also for reference

How do i get past the bot and communicate with humans. Every time i ask this question, the bot responds advising me to restate the question…I don’t have a BOT and BOT TO BOT COMMUNICATION IS A GRAND WASTE OF TIME AND ENERGY…I HAVE MANY QUESTIONS AND NEED ASSISTANCE. I believe you have info i need, but you have no way to communicate!

So i need Admin approval to ask a question of Admin?

Hi @makingtuk, to combat SPAM, new users first have to show some activity on the forum before they can reply to posts. You can post and comment now.

The only few issues I know about with mag gears depending the variety. is slipping, magnetic inversion (aka pole changes), magnetic reconnection. Content creators out YouTube explain this one better than I could. Especially when talking gear ratios. When working the low friction is a bonus. Which maximise the efficiency you can get out.

It occurred to me Roddy might like a new island to inhabit.
OK the article does not specifically mention AWE, but isn’t it obvious?

1 Like

Nice idea,
however Piel Island - Future Management Arrangement

Main contract details

Opportunity Id

DN592380

Title

Piel Island - Future Management Arrangement

Categories

151900 - Management

190000 - Facilities & Management Services

Description

Barrow Borough Council is looking to contract with a tenant to manage namely Piel Island and the Ship Inn pub. The ITT document within aims to provide an overview of the area, the Island, the Council along with the service level expectations of the Council. Unfortunately due to Covid Restrictions we are unable to provide a tour of the Ship Inn, however we will have a virtual tour ready to be uploaded once completed. (Expected date 20/01/2022)

Region(s) of supply

East Cumbria

Estimated value

N/A

Keywords

Pub Management, Facilities Management, Facility Management, Pub , Public House

Key dates

Estimated contract dates

Start date

01/04/2022

End date

09/02/2032
from
https://www.barrowbc.gov.uk/visitors/attractions/piel-island/
The offer was From 18/01/2022 08:00 to 04/02/2022 17:00.
Would have been nice to invite people to.
I don’t think I know anyone that wouldn’t jump at the chance.
It is to do with the pub. ancient rituals. I know a lot of re-enactment bods and wild campers that would bite your hands off for it. It very mans dream to run a pub and a castle. As I said nice idea, I fear that opportunity gone.
I just had to check if it was still available. Because who would want to be king in thier own right. Have beer poured over them. just to run a whole island. Sound like a messy night in a bar. There will be other islands for sure. I hear there are micro nations on abandoned oil rigs. Should one come up for grabs AWEs could bolt one down and call it it own. Might look alittle like kamino from Star Wars. If you get one. Like Giant golf tee placed in sea bed.

No need for me to move to England
Please
We have our very own sovereignty here in Shetland.
E.g
Last summer, a pal and I paddled to Forvik Island to mount a hostile takeover of the territory.
But when we got there, we found the king Stuart Hill (a man affectionately known to the press as captain calamity) to be a lovely fellow.
Reading his Wikipedia entry will brighten up any day.
Stuarts books and adventures through the courts regarding Shetland sovereignty are wow
He was very keen on having a kite turbine on the island.

1 Like

Just read the article,
Tried to out do the Viking raids by the looks of things. I understand it a bit if traditional up there. If all else fail the open blue waits. I say the king of island earn his title. Needing to be rescued. Wind energy might be just be a safer venture without need of a boat. I’d say you got a legend up that way. Better to keep hold of that.

1 Like

Explanations but waiting for a prototype…

Experimentation at 6:30.

https://www.jameco.com/jameco/workshop/howitworks/dysonairmultiplier.html

1 Like

Did not see the video, but it does seem individual cars with their own propulsion would be a logical next step for railroads. After all the train concept is mostly about one crew and propulsiive car being able to pull many cars. If the cars are automated, why do they have to be stuck together? Then again if you live near train tracks you will have cars going by all day long.

https://www.jetoptera.com/
Definitely coming along. Just another example.

1 Like

Integza attempt using combustion and 3D printed parts.
Sintering process could have very similar outcomes. Additive manufacturing is a huge leap forward for complex geometry involved. It wouldn’t take much to adapt. The bonus is a veritable levels of skill set could be used to achieve it. I’ve looked at sheet metal for a non combusting version. Not sure about carbon fibre though might be worth a go. It is just one way of increasing airflow from low volume airflow to high volume.

Yeah, another “press-release breakthrough”, which has yet to show true success.
This phenomenon is certainly interesting, but experience shows that merely being “interesting” does not translate into sure success in wind energy.

Success, ah that old chestnut.
Success levels,

1. Can you build it?
  2. Did you get it to work?
  3. What kind of result did you get?
  4. What kind of reach do you have?
  5. can you get it to market?
  6. Do you have any takers?

Jetoptera are on number 4. It may not reach full potential. They successful built a working prototype. Many others are trying. I agree its fierce competition out there. It a question how far they will get? Sure there are practical elements. Choked airflow will definitely hinder performance. Along with pressure differentials. It normally causes stalling in jet engines and energy loss. Options Are there to explore the technology. Many far more ahead than me developing the technology. What it does promotes is ideas. Which they were successful at doing. Someone along that chain will come up with something that will have cause and effect. I’m no fool to believe that reach is infinite. Limited reach has be a curse for so many for so long. Raising awareness leads to some one succeeding. That is the feed back loop. That moves us all along. Inspiration is the beginning. Success is the results. If you learn that was no good great! you might fail 1000 times, but you might only need to succeed once. That is the important bit. Will it translate we are yet to see. I hope it does.

Yeah well the problem wannabe technology breakthrough people often have is unchanging: Do you really have a breakthrough. These days it is easy to find takers for bad technology. Take the ducted wind turbines (DAWT), which this reminds me of, as an example. Ogin was the name. The promoters take a regular, low-solidity (~2% rotor solidity) wind turbine, and seek to “improve” it by adding a 100% solidity duct around it. Obviously the duct itself, being larger diameter, and 50x the solidity of the rotor, will want to use far more material than the rotor itself. Then the extra wind speed will cause the rotor to get too loud, so they will have to increase the solidity of the previously 2% solidity rotor. Raising the solidity lowers efficiency. Obviously this assembly will use more material than simply increasing rotor diameter. About the best you can say for it is that it increases RPM, slightly reducing the need for gearing(?), but now you have to support and aim this large, solid diffuser ring. The idea had been long-debunked, but Kleiner Perkins still funded it. I had to fortunate opportunity to hang out with the Kleiner Perkins founders for a few days and filled them in on the previous failed diffuser augmented turbine fiasco where New Zealand had wasted $20 million on the idea. Unfortunately all I had accomplished was to let them know where to sell this project, which turned out to be New Zealand. No good deed goes unpunished.
Meanwhile, bad ideas and a whole lotta talk talk talk about them is not progress. It is just a bunch of wasted energy. All the new big-talkers think they are different, but no, it is just more of the same, except nowadays with smartphones and the internet, bad ideas go viral as easily as the few good ideas that get floated around. :slight_smile:

I remember back in 2012 where there was a lot of hype all over Facebook. Some seamed very promising, then completely dematerialised by 2016. I can remember a few designs that stick in my mind. The barrage ballon approach was very promising. as well as one, what can only be described as something out of the teletubbies. Then you have a few duct designs based around a chinmeny for all intensive purposes. As seen below.
I remember reading somewhere Israel wanted to build something based around a cool tower design

I’m still waiting to see one for real.
Also there was a wind tower design that was designed to used the Bernoulli’s principle. To drive massive turbines, stacked up, One on top the other. I forget who they called. I know they were a Scandinavian company. Reminded me of a Francis turbine. They way the designed it.
Definitely a few out there I hope would come about. Some not so much.

So many disciplines I find it hard know where to start. I know there are options. Just don’t want to be unwittingly treading in toes. Aware there have been many a dumpster fire when it comes to design and development. I recall one chap here in Britain fitting a turbine to someone’s house claiming it would give ten time what it delivered. He got fined hard under trade description. fined 1m or so. Then barred from the profession. Got to love bbc watchdog for pointing such things out. Definitely littered with hopeful failures. There the ones I know about.

So If you could get airflow at the require pressure and density? Then Density of air - Wikipedia to match the density and flow of water at 997 kg/m³ a Francis turbine would be a good bet for a DAWT. 98% efficient as I recall. That much I do know. As for spin control. induction plates that move in and out or vary In thickness. might do the trick. without need to gear down to where the generator could handle the load. Passive Magnetic braking as so to speak. That only engages with at certain rpms. Due to centrifugal force. To slow the turbine where it needed. With back up immobilisers. Being 6 inch steel pins. That lock directly into the rotor. For excessive storm conditions. Might look a little like a grinder key. It will need to resist shear strength of steel that thick. To stop it acting like a guillotine. Then having it go into self destruct mode. I’m sure there More point to raise With design. even things that I’ve yet to consider. Being the spanner monkey I am. Success and failure definitely walk that invisible tightrope. You don’t know who will fall off or get cheese wired in the process. Definitely a minefield out there for the inexperienced trying to determine good ideas from the bad ones. Or even if the have any use at all? No doubt I’ve done a few funky cartwheels over a few of them. Live and learn physics until a brakethrough happens.

Well just keep posting links to anything you think is interesting and maybe like the proverbial “monkey at the typewriter”, after a few trillion years, you might randomly come across a solution. But by then will anyone recognize it? It is nice that you found a site to spill your brains, like that drunken “artist” who threw paint at canvas and sold paintings to the unwary. But just so you know, you;re just the latest in probably 20 years that I can remember of people posting whatever random thoughts enter their brain as potential wind energy solutions. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m always open to see such ideas. I love innovation, and it can come from unexpected places, but then again in wind energy it is such an old story to have people without a clue of wind energy nonetheless pretending every half-baked idea that courses through their feeble brain “must be” a breakthrough. So far it pretty much never has been. Wind people know this and are used to it. The people doing it think they are original. No they are not. They are just more of the same. Well-understood to have no real understanding of what they are even talking about, they just keep spewing the same ignorant nonsense over and over, usually thinking they are the first. And when they ARE the first to float a new idea in wind energy, it is usually wrong anyway, but they just don’t know any better. The last guys running an AWE forum (like “the inmates running the asylum”) could not, in 12 years, come up with anything that could even make measurable power, no matter what. Before they “quietly went away”, they were down to claiming the wind energy industry was too dependent on power meters, and that leaves wiggling on a tree, or the mere shade provided by a kite from the sun, were working examples of airborne wind energy. 3-D printing is an example of the tempting techno-candy that attracts AWE enthusiasts. All it’s gotta be is something that seems halfway new and unexpected, with maybe a scientific or techno flavor, and well-intentioned wannabes will propose it as a wind energy breakthrough. In the end, doing daily brain-dumps on a forum like this will probably get you nowhere in wind energy. It’s like you just walked into a darkened hall with a piece of paper that someone said would get you in the door to see your favorite band, and you think it is just you, until you walk in and see 70,000 other people in the stands who all thought they were there for a private audience. Nope, turns out it was a very common thing to think this and you are in the company of thousands of other people who thought the same thing. Just so you know. This is really just highly redundant. Probably a better path would be to develop your wind energy solution, take some data, then announce your “breakthrough”. No, every passing thought is not another breakthrough. It’s just an active mind bored and in need of focus. OK now I’ll take my own advice and get on with my hopefully somewhat productive day! :slight_smile:

Just adding a random picture to explain why a lot of these ideas dont make much sense to me:

Source: http://www.urbanphysics.net/Dispersion%20Montreal%206.jpg

The wind at the top of the building is 10 m/s while the wind speed at the wall of the building is only 2-3 m/s. It just doesnt make sense to adda tubine to the base of the building to pass air through. The wind will find its way around obstacles.

If you could make the obstable super cheap you may have a winner if you put your windmill on top of the obstacle. This is not new. It is very common to put a windmill on top of a mountain.

I think it makes sense to start by thinking a windmill is something that is placed in the wind, as far as possible from other items. Then the windmill must be able to extract energy from the flow using a very low cost machine, that sweeps a huge area.

The last thing is very important. Because you will eventually be competing in price with a traditional windmill [HAWT]. And those are actually very good machines as of today. So anything looking remotely like anything you just described is just noe going to cut it.

My advice would be either to just focus on incremental improvements to HAWT or look at airborne wind systems. Right now these are the only two options I see as possible options, barring some fun technology that could extract energy from air at a distance, like a LIDAR but energy harvesting. Sure, its fun looking for that device, but not very likely to get there without a lot of ground work done first. For HAWT and AWE much of the ground work has been done, but then you need to actually go down that rabbit hole and figure out what exactly that is.

I agree that posting random images and thoughts here is not going to be very productive. @dougselsam is spot on in his reply.

Please dont take this in the wrong way. This is «tough love», I’d love to se you make progress in whatever you decide to do, I just dont think you are on to anything right now.