SuperTurbine (tm) and Serpentine, and other torque transfer systems

1.5kW
That’s the limit Pierre
You can’t build a bigger single rotor kite turbine than 1.5kW
It’s impossible.
Please snip that sentence and quote me on it in 10 years. It’s exactly the same one heard thousands of times in wind energy design offices across the world over the last few decades.

You’re right
The optimised trpt system proposed in the PhD calculation is unworkable. It wouldn’t be very unstable with those gaps. It would be nowhere near as heavy as you suggest.

This whole argument is pointless however
There is no point in just lengthening the TRPT as a way to scale the power of a kite turbine.
That’s just a nonsensical proposal.

It’s the same as
How big a tower can we build to put a 1kW turbine on top?
No point asking. Will never be built.
Kite turbines scale with numbers of rotors.
Lifter tension scaling will also happen in numbers and with rotation.

@PierreB your number one bugbear used to be land power density of AWES. _ I agree with that as a priority.
But it contradicts having altitude of a single rotor single shaft system as an AWES priority.
AWES can outcompete HAWT on this measure see https://lirias.kuleuven.be/retrieve/658988 Thomas Haas on Simulation of airborne wind energy systems in the atmospheric boundary layer Suggesting densities of 28 MW/km2. Of course we don’t need to go that high … And I’d love at this point to provide the link to the presentation video by Moritz Diehl from this years AWEC where he showed a rotor farm scheme with an even higher energy density….