Terminology, Acronyms

That’s also a term we should talk about. I would not regard alll awes as turbines. The definition: " A turbine is a rotary mechanical device that extracts energy from a fluid flow and converts it into useful work." could fit all awes. But with yoyo it isn’t the rotation from which the energy is extracted. The kite could just as well fly linear. I would suggest to use the ter turbine only with drag-loaded systems.

Another suggestion: Distinction between:

• Crosswind-loaded (CWL)
  • Downwind-loaded (DWL)

That would make daisy and makani clearly cwl and yoyo clearly dwl.
However the directions are wrong, at least for downwind. The load is applied upwind…

“Abstract
In this paper we revisit the modeling framework used to derive the Betz limit of power extraction from the wind based on linear momentum theory. One of our contributions is to suggest that the Betz limit of 16/27≈59% should in fact hold true for any device that harvests power through drag or torque in a horizontal-axis rotational motion perpendicular to the wind field, which is not only the case of conventional wind turbines but also of Loyd’s drag power Airborne Wind Energy (AWE) systems. Another contribution is to show that Loyd’s lift power AWE devices during the reel-out phase can harvest up to 4/27≈15% of usable power available in the wind, i.e. exactly 1/4 of the theoretical limit of the horizontal-axis turbines and AWE drag power systems with ideal airfoils. Moreover, in order to operate at such limit, AWE lift power systems must also extract from the wind an amount of drag power that is equal to the reel-out power. These claims are supported by physical principles and mathematical formulations.”

HAWT, rotating AWES, AWE drag power systems (Makani-like): all use torque (even Makani of which turbines onboard are secondary turbines) and are stationary systems as their respective swept area is stationary.
Lift power systems are tension (or force or traction) systems: they use tension (or force or traction) and are unstationary systems.
So there are some possibilities: torque vs tension, or stationary vs unstationary…
But these scientific papers are already written, so changing terms would add confusion.

Well a tension or force or traction system also generates torque on the winch.^^

Is there a good consensus on terms?

Yes.

Not sure. Perhaps the simplest would be: yoyo vs the others.

Seeing that the Loyd paper was very early, we should stick to whatever naming is in there.

To mangle everyone’s noodle…
A Daisy needs lift tension to transfer drag load.

The torsional shape (amount of twist / length) of a torque transfer network “shaft” …
Which a Daisy kite relies on for torque transfer … That torsional shape, relies on having lift force to keep the lines from being overly twisted by pure drag force.

I drew the difference in its own thread:

Acronyms…
I find the Acronym AWES annoyingly cocksure.
… Like we’re awesome.
We have a hell of a long road before we can declare awesomeness.

I quite like AEIOU for my
Airborne Energy Investigations Outdoors Unit
oh my
Or Kite Network Airborne Wind Energy KNAW sounds much more gnarly and power-winning

Haha. AWES for awesome is the reason why this is so useless as a tag on twitter. That’s originally how I came up with #awesystems. Wanted to make that the go to hashtag for awes. Often times people use #wind #energy #systems or #wind #drones or something. That’s not something one can easily search for and get just results on awes. Now that I’ve named my twitter handle and the website the same it has become a bit of a brand and is thus useless as a neutral hastag.

I like how AEIOU is all the vocals.^^ Just make up an acronym and come up with the name later.

Airborne
Energy
Induced
Orbital
Utility

1 Like

You nailed it!!!

1 Like

Would the cute name acronym Gloria be better for a Daisy kite?
GLORIA for
Generating Lines Orbital Rotation Induction Aircraft
Or is there a more appropriate acronym which fits Daisy?
Dynamic Airborne Induced Spin Yachting

1 Like

US FAA coined “AWES” as its acronym for our platforms, since “AWE” was already taken. Many of us therefore use the term. Joe and I seem to be the ones who first coined and popularized “AWE” usage, after Moritz had used the expanded term at an early conference.

Loyd told me around 2014 that he regretted not taking more care in naming AWES architectures because he did not imagine his paper would become so influential. To clear up confusion, some of us tend to refer to his “drag” case as “turbine-on-a-wing”, and his specific “lift” case as “reeling-downwind”. Loyd cites Payne as his inspiration, and only omitted Payne’s crosswind spread anchor AWES concept simply because he did not see a ready mathematical shortcut to his goal of kitepower analyzed formally/abstractly. He was rather surprised when Makani adopted his simplified flygen “drag” model as their down-select in 2009.

Here’s Joe’s vast AWE Glossary, starting at “A”, with virtually all AWE terms ever used-

http://www.energykitesystems.net/0/KITESA/FAQelectric/glossary/a.html

1 Like

What are those?

1 Like

I used it because it was in the thread title. I think they are plane-kites. Ie a rigid kite, perhaps looking like a plane

Haha that’s my try at wordsmithing.
I suggest it as a word for planes that can work as kites or kites that can fly without a tensioned tether, usually rigid.

2 Likes

Kite-plane (kiteplane?) has been used previously… But I don’t even know how to use an ’ correctly so…