The ignorance goes on... and on... and on...

Ok, just trying to understand the basics here. Let’s see I understood it right? Feel free too correct me thinking. The Sun causes thermal radiation,which causes convection, which = wind. The main aim of air circulation is to prevent air from stagnating. So what happens when you take too much energy out of that system? The ideal scenario is to have the wind gusting at a constant. Right? So taking energy out of that system is go to effect the metrology of that system. Which is going to impact climate.which in turn will impact the amount of energy that going to be produced by any turbine. So there going to a maximum that can be taken out anywhere on planet earth. I know I don’t know who has calculated for this? So one must have at some point done the math. just to work out the maximum. It also highlights the possibilities of climate control. If our understanding up to it? I’m aware it can also lead to some unforeseen consequences. Like the weather being weaponised. I know I don’t see much of a conversation about this. But I know I rarely happen across such things. So with that in mind, Total energy input, effects output. I = S cosZ So what percentage of that, can wind power use? without causing a chaotic feedback loop? I’m Basically asking about the unknown beyond the unknown. Yes there multi faceted issues when it comes to wind. So know things others don’t and some build things others don’t. The real quest is how can you get them working together? It is true that people need to understand the basics. Many won’t for a billion and one reasons. But that shouldn’t mean that they should give up. Oh no. It took ages for mankind to reach all corners of the world. It took even long to build up knowledge and understanding. The game is to find the most effective outcomes. That mutually benefit as many people as possible. So there you go. Anything that develops core understanding. Got to be a good thing.

Yes the whole thing is mired in ignorance. For example, if wind (nature’s air-conditioner) serves to bring hot air from the equator to the poles, and we slow that wind, are we short-circuiting Earth’s air-conditioner? Then there is always “The Butterfly Effect” where small changes result in unknown big effects. One example is the reason for the current ice-age, which probably 999 out of a thousand global warming freaks have no idea about. Guess what is the cause of the current ice-age? Central America rising up out of the ocean. Previously, cooler Pacific Ocean waters flowed across Central America, which was underwater, into the Carribean, so the Carribean water never got as hot as it does today. Today, because no cooler water from the Pacific can flow over Panama etc. in the Carribean, the Carribean gets very warm, which causes the Gulf Stream, which brings warm water to the Northern Atlantic, which then evaporates and turns to snow over Greenland. Once Greenland is covered in snow, it reflects sunlight, cooling the Northern Hemisphere, which only compounds the “problem” - a positive feedback loop.
Three million years ago, Central America rose and blocked off that current from the Pacific. Result? Mankind was forced to develop clothing, fire, shelter, tools, and here we are. People who could not adapt perished. Ones who could proliferated. All due to an effect that all the scientists in the world would have been unlikely to predict because it is more complicated than a bumper-sticker slogan.

1 Like

Talking of ice ages. the mini ice age that happened in the last 1000 years. Could that be an example of what happens when large scale wind use leads to a climate shift? I know I don’t have any data to back that up. But from what I recall you had the rise of industrial processes. Then a series of extreme winters. I’m judging this by when the Thames froze over.

At that point, tradition wind power was being use for everything from grind grain and milling all manor of materials. There even a record somewhere of a wind powered loom. Don’t quote me here. it was sometime around the 16th-17th century. Made of wood. Was able to weave about 200 yards of material in one go. Was used a lot in Sail making. You also had massive use of sail with regards to shipping. Though they tended to follow the winds, it still would if had an impact. Due to the ships tonnage. The mass being responsible for the total energy reduction within the system. This would had of had a corresponding effect.

I dare some brave soul out there to do the math on how much shipping there was. The old sailers used to call the lulls the doldrums. Even the most advanced modelling software would struggle to keep up with the variables. As far as I understand. you end up with dead zone because the wind cannot overcome the mass and density of the atmosphere. Then it just stalls. Fluid dynamics takes over before you know. you are in a boat going nowhere. The same true for wind turbines. For every kWh removed will have a knock on effect further on down the road. So is there a better way to use the wind? Can you use the wind to create more wind? Will that result in even more adverse weather like tornadoes or hurricane? I suspect its likely. Indeed the butterfly effect will play its part. It may also demonstrate the long term viability of wind as a whole. Look at the bigger picture is the phrase often used. So what really going here with regards to climate change? are we all being lead down a rabbit hole with no idea if we will ever emerge? So many people with very limited scope. im not sure if anyone will step up to the plate? I’m not sure if anyone will have sufficient scope to grasp the full technical aspects? I do however know it must be if we are to last another 1000 years.

This is one place to learn about climate change: Climate Reports | United Nations Please refrain from spreading misinformation or trying to learn about climate change from random internet strangers.

1 Like