Toward the worst AWES

Indeed we are talking about a yoyo system. So the force (lift and drag) of the rotors is used, as for:
http://cdn.pes.eu.com/assets/misc_new/peswindissue17talkingpointskylimitpdf-891355291894.pdf
Unlike the previous system Sky WindPower rotor system is connected to a generator aloft that also assures VTOL.

Indeed, so on my previous comment I corrected the values that are rather L/D of 0.7, leading to an elevation angle of about 35 degrees, which is the elevation angle of the gyrokite from where the rotor comes. I don’t think a higher angle would be possible. Even this angle was difficult to achieve when I used the gyrokite by several wind speeds. Certainly a rotor of a gyro glider could have a better elevation angle by higher wind.

I put a sketch of trains of perpendicular rotors (as I use now), gyrokites, and rotors on their respectives rods with bends. For the last I don’t know if the sketch is correct.

For now I think the simplest way to obtain the desired angle of attack of rotors is by using the segment of the line with an appropriate tilting. The problem I see with rods with bends is the thrust adjustment which cancels the change of angle of attack. But I could be wrong. Perhaps also the bend rod system can be useful between the lifter kite and the first rotor, allowing to lower the angle of attack of said rotor thanks to the elevation angle of the lifter kite, while the lower part of the bend rod points on the lower part of the line with a lesser elevation angle, as we can see on the sketch.

1 Like