Toward the worst AWES

I can see several problems with that bottom drawing. I won’t comment on the top two drawings.

• A bend in the rod like that will cause the line tension to want to break the rod. Better to have a straight rod and only have a bend, or a pivot point, right where the rotor bearing attaches to the rod, so that only the rotor wants to break the rod, not also the line tension.

• The rotor at that position on the top of the rod will put the center of gravity of the rod+rotor assembly close to that point. I think you’d want it at the middle so line tension will have the least effect on rotor inclination, or closer to the bottom if that results in a higher rotor inclination with very low line tension.

• Your rod now only helps resist the moment from the rotor from the bottom.

• It’s easier to hit your line with your rotor.

• Like tallakt says, that lifter kite is not to scale

I think what you’d want is to be able to set rotor inclination independent of line angle. For that I think you’d need a pivot point instead of a bend and either passive or active control of the pivot point.

Here is an updated sketch. The red circle is now a pivot point, that would need a way to control it. And also missing here is a way to keep the rod, and pivot point, right side up.