Using an aerostat or a kite as a lifter of a regular wind turbine, by juxtaposing proven technologies?

I don’t know - you tell me. And if it is that easy for you to declare blimps invalid, what does that say about a team from MIT making their own HOLLOW (donut) blimp that would hold maybe half (1/2) the helium of a regular blimp of the same size? What you are saying just goes to prove the general insanity of the entire AWE ecosystem - thousands of people, including many PhD’s, engineers, “journalists” (who typically know nothing) and government agencies, ALL UNANIMOUSLY celebrating Altaeros for close to a decade! With new articles explaining how many homes “it powers”, years after the project was abandoned !?!?

When one guy (Pierre) doing “back-of-the-envelope” calculations, in his head, can see it won’t work out. Where were you 13 years ago Pierre, when all the hype was about the donut blimp with a turbine in the center? All those magazine articles! All that celebration ahead off any facts? Why didn’t YOU declare it a non-starter way back then, like me? Well, maybe you did, and, as usual, I just don’t remember.

But what I DO remember is, out of ALL these thousands of suckers, I was the only one who placed a free long distance phone call to the newspaper in the little town in Alaska where it was SUPPOSED to be powering the local grid, to find out that they didn’t even know what I was talking about and didn’t even remember publishing the article!!! (I guess all those “journalists” were too busy googling and staring at their phones to ever check an actual source!!!.)

I’d rather have a REAL donut with a chocolate or vanilla cream center! :slight_smile:

Could any sort of blimp have a place in AWE? How would anyone know? I definitely see the issues, but at the same time, I’m not ready to completely rule out the concept, perhaps in some form nobody has thought of yet.