10th International Airborne Wind Energy Conference (AWEC 2024) in Madrid

Got a confirmation that the power input to rotate is around 1/4 over all scales and wind speeds [for Magnus effect Wind Fisher]

1 Like

Interesting talk about making an off grid system to provide 250 kW

The Skysails 160 kW apparently needs 850 m radius ground area

2 Likes

Skysails stressing that weak grid no grid is actually a huge business

—- AND, they have BVLOS approval, no pilot on site necessary. Big step, congrats Skysails!

3 Likes

For anyone reading this; Im just posting some impressions from AWEC here and there. The info may be inaccurate. Its not the official source. Just bringing forth a few things relevant for the activity here the past years. Also in particular, I am leaving out Kitemill announcements as this would be difficult for me to manage.

1 Like

2 Likes

Kitekraft stating never having had manual flight, and [now having] grid conmection. Nice progress.

1 Like

good times

2 Likes

Cristina Archer

HAWP conference 2009. First conference on airborne wind

1 Like

Could you guys take some video?

Some really interesting talks about low level jets.

Is super high altitude AWE for real or a red herring? Intrieguing

2 Likes

I think there are some professionals filming here, I expect we should see something in time

Reinhart Paelinck is on.

Great slide. Takeaway; large scale means slower progress

2 Likes

Ampyx technologies that were developed (now Mozaero technologies)

1 Like

They were able to fly the AP-3 after the Mozaero takeover. A display of preserverance

1 Like

The AP-3 is 150 kW. RP asking if there is interest for making a small R&D kite that other research groups could use

1 Like

Christof Beaupoil, someAWE, improving on an already really innovative design. Exciting!

CB is heading for a single tether for pumping at scale, torque transfer as a option

Launch options «bamboo wing», pumping or onboard propulsion suggested, though actual path forward is open

2 Likes

Jakob Harzer, presenting interesting optimization for simulating systems with many similar cycles, by skipping some cycles and using slow varying properties of each cycle

2 Likes

Prof. Cristina Archer, a pioneer of AWE, summarised her inspiring keynote presentation with many references to the early days of the technology and to low-level jets.

2 Likes