10th International Airborne Wind Energy Conference (AWEC 2024) in Madrid

Dear AWE community,

You might have noticed that the call for abstracts for the 10th international Airborne Wind Energy Conference AWEC 2024, to be held 22-24 April 2024 in Madrid, is open. Make sure to submit your abstract by 16 October 2023.

We are particularly excited about the invited speakers who have already confirmed.

Roland Schmehl

on behalf of the AWEC 2024 organisation committee:
Gonzalo Sánchez-Arriaga, Roland Schmehl, Stefanie Thoms

image001

3 Likes

Cant wait already! ….

1 Like

Preliminary program is out

The program is updated frequently so better get the up-to-date version from the conference website.

1 Like

The dates of the conference are 24th to 26th
The first post in this thread has 22nd to 24th

Coincidentally
I’m booked to arrive in Madrid the day before the conference. (23rd)
Gonzalo reassured me there’s nothing they need a help with in setting up.
So - I have free time in the city on the 23rd
Roland has recommended
you can admire Goya’s “La Cometa” at the Prado:

Great idea
Anyone want to meet there for kite chat?

I think there haven’t been any good recordings with good audio since AWEC 2017. It’d be nice if that wasn’t overlooked this time.

1 Like

True! We are looking for volunteers with experience and equipment for AWEC 2024! Please get in touch with me. We have the auditorium covered. And my GoPro can do this which is OK video but mediocre audio. Our third room is not yet covered and we are searching for a good solution.

2 Likes

These things are nice to get some external professionals to take care of. I realize the budget may just not be there. But - given the importance of global warming and spreading this information, «someone» should find money for these things.

1 Like

Even better could it be streamed live?

I don’t have experience with this, but I see YouTubers using something like the DJI Mic Wireless Audio Recorder. That is around 250 euros. You can use it together with your phone/camera (and a tripod) to get audio and video input for your laptop. Or perhaps you can skip the laptop.

This wired lavalier microphone is around 50 euros, or you can use any microphone. But then you’d still have to find some way to get the audio to your camera, phone, or laptop.

For a local audio recorder, for example: TASCAM DR-10L PRO

I would have expected a university to have recording equipment laying around though. If it doesn’t, it sounds something for AWE Europe to provide.

1 Like

Ideally the videos would have both what is projected on the screen as well as the person talking. And great sound of course.

I agree with @Windy_Skies - if the equipment is not available it would make sense to fund this in some way. People are already spending some money travelling this sounds like a smaller expenditure overall.

1 Like

Dunno about Videos in Madrid
But we could capture the conference in oil like this though

2 Likes

Super psyched and ready to go.

Is this the place for microblogging AWEC?

2 Likes

1 Like

Watching Uwe Fechner’s talk about open source AWE simulations. Very interesting. Clear recommendation Julia > Python > Matlab/Simulink. I agree. Many people dont have access to Matlab, and dependency management in Matlab is weak. Also important takeaway; Simulink does not well with version control software

2 Likes

Interesting talk on wind estimation by Oriol Cayon

1 Like

Enerkite made a cool new kite «monocoque»… what does that even mean?

12 kg for a 6 m wingspan!!!?!

1 Like

Windfisher looks good. Is Magnus a French fetish?

1 Like

anticipation…. suspense…

1 Like